terrafield

Best car for city usage?

Hi

I'm planing to buy a car mainly for city usage. My monthly usage will be around 700kms. I"m looking for a diesel car mainly because of the torque and the ability to avoid stalling. My budget is 7 lakhs (max)

My main requirements based on priority wise

1. Ride quality

2. Easy to use Clutch pedal (Low height and light clutch)

2. Reliability/ASS

3. Driver Seat comfort (I have low back pain)

4. Visibility (through windows,doors, ORVMs etc)

I have the fallowing choices in my mind

Ford Figo TDCI Titanium

All New Indica Vista ZX Quadrajet

Beat TCDI LT OPT

Swift ZDI

I'm not considering Fiat Punto, Polo and Fabia as those have highly placed clutch pedals

Please let me know your suggestions as that would be very helpful in my decision

Thanks

terrafield

Welcome to ACI forum.

regarding your query, kindly go through the rules and regulations before posting new topic. you can find same post,topic which can answer your question kindly search it.

1. Ride quality - Must be common

2. Easy to use Clutch pedal  - Must be common

3. Reliability/ASS - Swift

4. Driver Seat comfort - Nothing to beat Swift here' date=' no nearby competitor too.
5. Visibility - Figo, Vista, Swift, Beat
[/quote']

Swift ZDI comes to 7.5 onroad in Chennai. If you can stretch to that level, nothing like that.

@terrafield:

You have not specified your budget that you can afford for this new buy. Also, if you can mention your daily run type (highway/city) than also that would be highly helpful while suggesting anything to you. However, here are my opinion on your picks:

@Sstar, thanks for your inputs

My monthly usage will be around 700kms (pure city driving - home-office-home). So I'm considering easy to drive and easy to maintain vehicle

In that case can you tell me your opinion on WagonR, Polo etc

I had Polo 1.2 (Petrol) test drive. It was quiet easy to drive in traffic but clutch is placed high. Also I'm not sure about Volkswagen ASS in chennai

Wagon-R is a different segment altogether, if you are looking for petrol hatch, go for Swift petrol which is more VFM and fun to drive. Very good all round car.

On your question: wagon-r is also a good car. Good space, good mileage, VFM. But it will not be one the cars may people would like as it is no round shape car.

Polo on the other hand is pure German character. Very good handling, excellent road presence, but it lacks features, you have to go for top end to have more features otherwise for a outside factory fitment of stereo, dealer will void your warranty. Also mileage on petrol is not convincing.

If you want to go for petrol. I would suggest go for Swift or Ritz (both cars ZXi) for diesel, I would say take a look and TD Nissan Micra dci as well which is also a fun to drive car and I guess the top end diesel is in your budget. Otherwise, if you like that that awesome, else it would be a choice between Swift/Ritz (VDI ABS) Vs Vista (Quadrajet ZX).

Sorry no idea for ASS of VW in Chennai. But it is for sure that parts would be expensive than Maruti, Tata, Hyundai and servicing cost would also be higher.

Also, if you are Test Driving petrol, then TD new Jazz. in Jazz even base variant is like fully loaded Swift with all the safety features like Airbags, ABS, EBD, BA. And I think Jazz is starting at 5.6lac.

@Terrafield,

First make up your mind on whether you want to buy a gasoline or an oil burner.

If its a Diesel, go for Swift.

If its a Petrol go for Brio/ Jazz/ Swift. Make sure you TD all these 3 cars before finalizing.

Do not chuck out Jazz just because it is big, because of its huge glass area, driving it would be easier than Swift. Its the best on car buy within 7 Lakhs.

Well,after seeing all,reading all..DRIVING AND TESTING ALL again my senses says either it should be a Wagon-R or a Swift ZXi(if budget allows) rest everything seems to be loosing in some area or the other.

Sorry, I couldn't visit the forum for past few days

Thanks a lot for your suggestions

@creativebala, Even I'm considering Jazz but I am more concerned about Jazz ride quality over potholes/bumps as I heard that Jazz has stiff ride quality. But I heard that in New Jazz suspension is tweaked. Did you get any chance to test drive both Swift and Jazz? If so can you tell me which is better in terms of ride quality?

@Durang Dude, I test drove i10 but ride quality is really harsh. Wagon R is better though

@TSIVipul, Even I think so but my last choice will be Jazz. If the ride quality is better than I will just book it as I feel Jazz ticks all other areas

Did anyone get a chance to test drive New Jazz? If so can you tell me how's the ride quality in New Jazz?

I test drove Figo TDCI, its really has good ride quality, handling etc but I had underbody scrapping sound in all speed breakers. Thats a big minus as my daily route is full of speed breakers and giant potholes...

For 7 L budget i must say Jazz is the best  Petrol hatchback available in India.second one is  Swift but the delivery of car is a big concern due to labour unrest in Maruti plants and nearly 90k people are waiting for the car and you may get the Swift petrol after 4 months time only in case Maruti can stabilise its production in september.

Jazz offers best ride quality in its class and mileage ,suspension,interior space,boot space,overall product quality is better compare to other hatch backs.You have to be very concious while negotiating speed breakers due to low  160 mm ground clearance which is far less than swift's 170 mm. but it's strong underbody cover will protect your car and you can have no non sense motoring for atleast one decade.What else we can expect from a 7 L car?

But my honest suggestion is that go for  Diesel car whether you want to do drive 500 kms or 2000 kms in a month. Swift ZDI may fit in to your budget and you will get back extra money of Rs.80K spending for Diesel car within 3 yrs of time in case you are driving less than 10000 kms /Annum.Since Govt do not have plan to take out subsidy for Diesel for cars so it is wise to buy Diesel car at this moment. Within 2 years of time petrol price will touch Rs.100/L and resale value of Diesel cars is  better than petrol cars at present and it will continue in future.

I test drove Figo TDCI' date=' its really has good ride quality, handling etc but I had underbody scrapping sound in all speed breakers. Thats a big minus as my daily route is full of speed breakers and giant potholes...
[/quote'] :

As faced in my TD.

And yes, Swift will make you a lot of waiting specially the Diesel. So I am not sure if you would want to wait for around 4 to 6 months to get youself behind the wheels.

On your note on Test Drive of JAZZ, I would strongly suggest that you take at least a test drive by yourself as you may find it good rather than getting demotivated.

sanjithchandra, Sstar - thanks for your inputs

I'm waiting for New Jazz test drive. Now I have finalized Swift Petrol/Diesel and Jazz. If Jazz ride isn't good then will go for Swift

If anyone in this forum get a chance to test drive New Jazz, could you please share your experience particularly in terms of ride quality?

I had swift ZDI test drive yesterday. It was really good. Swift diesel ticks almost all the boxes except ride quality. Ride quality is not that plush but "ok". Now the waiting period is around 8 to 12 months provided there is no strike. This is what killing me.

Did anyone get chance to test drive new Jazz? If so can you tell me how's the ride quality when compared to new swift? If its better then I'm going to book Jazz or else I need to be ready for this long waiting period.

I asked for new Jazz test drive but they have only the old model but I heard that in new Jazz ride quality is better. Can anyone confirm this?

If you are looking for petrol hatch then there is no second option but only Jazz.

I have TD both and both are poles apart in terms of space,luxury,space,FE,comfort and value for money.I booked Jazz X and will recommend all premium petrol hatch seeker to do the same...

Since New Jazz is coming with added features & some cosmetic changes than the predecessor and there is no change in Engine and suspension no need to worry about Ride quality and low end torque. Please surf test drive experience of old Jazz for knowing about Ride quality and Low end torque.