Sstar

A Diesel Hatch in 5 to 5.5 Lac

Just go for Ford Figo.

It is the most value for money hatch with ample space, low maintenance, good suspension and good features.

My cousin owns figo diesel for more than one year. He is very happy with it. Service cost is just around Rs. 2500 for every 10000 kms.

Just go for Ford Figo.

It is the most value for money hatch with ample space' date=' low maintenance, good suspension and good features.

My cousin owns figo diesel for more than one year. He is very happy with it. Service cost is just around Rs. 2500 for every 10000 kms.[/quote']

No doubt Ford Figo is a very good & capable car.

But its having its own set of limitations, like;

-Frugal 1st gen CRDi(=TDCi) engine, which begins to show its age before it ages actually. i.e. becomes more Noisier after crossing 30k kms(which is pretty low for a Diesel engine).

-Thereafter, Its life is also very limited i.e. upto 1-1.5 lakh kms maximum, which is again too low for a Modern Diesel engine. Whereas its rivals are known to be more Reliable & are known to last much longer than it, like FIAT/MARUTI/TATA's 1.3 Multijet engine easily clocks 3-3.5 lakh kms & Renault-Nissan 1.5 dCi engine is also known to easily clock that mileage figures.

-Later on its Maintenance is slightly on the expensive side as Ford Genuine parts aren't available in outside market.

So, serious repairs will turn out to be a much expensive affair.

-Its low Ground clearance, with 3 passengers & their adequate luggage in the boot also worsens the scene & make it too low & too much prone to touch the speedbrakers or road undulations.

So, my advice is either to Buy a 1.3 Multijet diesel engine car or look for 1.5 dCi powered Nissan Micra or Mahindra Verito.

Thanks Guys,  I am planning to TD POLO, Punto and then only I will decide. I know Vista can offer more in the price band that I have quoted but my family does not like a Taxi in our home at all :(

Will update the thread on my TD experience.

Considering the price you have mentioned,its going to be the Figo any day.Its a great frugal car which has some really enthusiastic bits and space as well as ride quality are simply great.

Rest if you can stretch a bit then my vote goes to the RITZ which I feel as the best of all(its my personal opinion)and available at a competitive price.

Hello Sstar,smiley2.gif

I will suggest you Indica Vista, Indigo Ecs in your budget.. If extend upto 6.. go for Polo or Swift

Both tata cars are having good ground clearance and Space. now i have Indigo ecs...onroad MH06, 5.7 lacs/ top diesel version, 6 months back.  Having a sedan size.. interior is not so aesthetic but functionally car is very good, AC works nicely. Excellent mileage. Keyless entry not available. for details i can help you.

Vista/diesel is also very good... complete space for 5. Interior is also quite OK.  In both, Only company fitted ICE is not so good.

POLO and Swift are good but you have to spend more for diesel version.... thank you...

Rest experts can suggest you...smiley17.gif

Hello Sstar' date='smiley2.gif

?

? I will suggest you Indica Vista, Indigo Ecs in your budget.. If extend upto 6.. go for Polo or Swift

?

?[/quote']

Since the thread Initiator have already ruled out the TATA cars, so other options as per left out are Polo & Punto.

Both are Well-build & equally good cars. Specifically after Test-Driving the Polo, you'll come across One of the finest Automotive quality products used which will make you dislike the entry or executive level cars like Figo, Swift, Vista, etc.

Do Test Drive them once to exactly feel where the segment actually is heading.

If you are going to be driving on the highway often you should probably choose between the Punto and the Figo. Yes, the Polo has the best quality interiors and best build but that it didn't seem to have too much space in the rear. This is my personal opinion. It might actually have more space than the Punto but it dooesn't feel like it. My vote would go for the Punto because you get a great highway package and good looks.

Test Drove the the Swift Zdi yesterday.. The engine is very very silent my dad was like are you sure this is a Diesel..LOL .. the car was very smooth, negligible NVH levels. and a very light steering which was loved by my Mom.

Odd bits were high boot tail gate, and getting in and out at the rear seats was bit difficult because of broad door line(the part of the door which is not visible one it is closed)

Had also Test Driven Figo. Found the figo also peppy but it was not as smooth, the steering felt much heavier also the interiors of the swift felt better. Getting in and out was much easier and the car felt very roomier compared to swift, and the best part was its boot our eyes almost popped out it had such huge boot. Space management is awesome. The ground clearance felt really bad as it brushed against my main gate which is slightly raised.

My vote goes for the swiftgoenkakushal2011-10-14 06:50:37

btw...I am planning to check out FIGO, Micra and Ritz diesel as well. Before I could pick any one of them smiley1.gif

Comments are invited on my experience so far
Sstar2011-11-07 08:57:49

Well,even I too have tested all the evrything in the market in this price basket(leave the Micra,I haven't even travelled in it).Now here is my experience(I am considering 6+ lacs hatches too):-

First of all,my hot favorite,MS RITZ:

If you believe that there is something called 'Valuefor Money' then I believe that it is a true VFM car,a quite well balance of everything an owner may want out of his car.I have driven a Ritz VDi ABS of one of my friends,the car has already covered 45000+ kms but still I can bet on this car.What I feel about Ritz is that it handles brilliant,although the suspension could have been better but still it is a jack of all trades and can satisfy you anywhere weather its city,highway,hills or broken path.A.S.S. of MS is also a bonus point.You just point her and press the gas and she will never let you down.

It handles great,its space is also good,the boot is also acceptable,FE is superb,the 1.3 MJD engine is also a gem.

What you need is just get 185 section tyres and a good music system and then you will find an unbeatable car in your Ritz.

My second Choice is SKODA FABIA TDI:

If sheer comfort and quality is your top priority then look no further than a Fabia,it is the only hatchback in the market which has nothing to complain with the interiors at all.It is big and spacious,seems to be built like a tank and the quality of plastic used and the fit and finish will always impress you.

The ride and handling is quite brilliant,the brakes also have the bite,the FE is superb too but only negative I feel in this car is the 1.2 TDI engine,else it would have been my first choice.

My third choice FIAT PUNTO:

If it would have got a T-Jet(or a better performing diesel)under the hood,the overall plastic quality and overall fit and finish is improved then simply this car is far-far ahead the competition in terms of ride,handling(simply the best) and comfort,but those panel gaps,Tata A.S.S. and that 1.3 MJD simply lets it down.

STILL THIS IS THE CAR WHICH IS WORTH OWNING BUT STILL IS DUMPED BY THE PEOPLE.

Polo:Rear seat comfort is an issue.

Indica Vista:You will never want to drive it on a long route.

Swift:Again the rear seat comfort and that small boot with a quite high loading lip,also I hate the way the new Swift looks,the aggression and sporty look of the old Swift is lost somewhere in that partially smiling grille.

Figo:Its okay car but that FORD thing scares me.

Micra:I hate the exteriors and the interior design as well.

Etios Liva:Simply overpriced,only you pay for a Toyota badge,nothing else.Well,its quite a good balance between everything but it doesn't has the feel,the feel of being a Toyota.

btw...I am planning to check out FIGO' date=' Micra and Ritz diesel as well. Before I could pick any one of them smiley1.gif

Comments are invited on my experience so far
[/quote']

Within strict Rs.6-lakh budget range, Ritz VDi ABS is the best car.

At ours place it comes with 20k discount also.

But If you're going to stretch your budget, then Go for Fiat Punto 90HP only.

Within strict Rs.6-lakh budget range' date=' Ritz VDi ABS is the best car.
At ours place it comes with 20k discount also.

But If you're going to stretch your budget, then Go for Fiat Punto 90HP only.[/quote']

Which place are you in? I am not getting any discount on Ritz. I checked the Ldi which is coming in 5.30 lac in Gurgaon.

Which place are you in? I am not getting any discount on Ritz. I checked the Ldi which is coming in 5.30 lac in Gurgaon.

Punjab state.

last time i read i newspaper was an advt quoting some 18k discount for Ritz P & some 15-16k for Ritz.

There was also an additional discount quoted there i.e. Corporate or teachers or Govt employees discount.

All leading to around 20k savings for Ritz D.

A month before, One of my cousin have also bought Ford Figo TDCi TITANIUM in New Delhi & he also got 20k discount on it.

Did u say 5 adults?? If yes, Vista is th only choice. Other cars are not so premium in comfort but drives much better then Vista. Every far has a disadvantage, we need to pick a car deliberately and live with it. So all your priorities can't be met. It will help if you can prioritize it.

@bala - wheelbase is one important parameter that enhances handling. Many miss it and assume its just a specification mentioned for no reason. All softer suspension are for city driving .e, Hyundai, stiff or hard suspension will help increasing the stability when you cruise at high speeds in the highways.

@Whitepod:

Considering this overall package,what I feel is that a FABIA is the best choice then.

I have both driven and traveled in a Vista but I am ready to bet that it neither drives nor has the comfort of a Fabia.The wheelbase is quite identical too and the over quality and fit and finish are notches above the Vista thing.

+1 to you for the fact that stiffer the suspension better will be the high speed stability.

@AMG1: No I have not as I am exploring market more and more before spending 5 or 5.5 lacs  :)

Hi All,

Here are new updates from my side. I went to checkout Figo TDCI at Harpreet Gurgaon showroom on yesterday, the first thing that I got to know is that Figo

Guys...my brother has suggested to book diesel hatch of my choice as diesel cars are going to be levied with increase Road Tax charges post this budget.

I have shortlisted Figo diesel Lxi and Beat diesel LS? However, I just go to know from Ford site that Power Steering is not given in the feature list?

Is it true that PS is not available in Figo Lxi variant?

Also, out of these two what you would suggest me to go for?

One more thing..my brother will book it within this week.
Sstar2012-02-12 20:35:55

Go for Figo LXi.

I think the latter comes with AC-Heater & Power Steering as standard.

If still you've came across a doubt then, consult your local Ford dealership for this as they might have changed the spec list in the Recent 2012 revisions.

Else IMHO, 2nd EXi variant is a best deal as it comes with Power WIndows, Central locking, Internally adjustable mirrors, etc with a minor cost as against poorly specced base LXi variant.

Tacho is missing in LXi, which is present in Exi and is an important component of diesel cars. Go for Exi, it is a better package.

Also, I would prefer Figo to Beat.

sb-alto2012-02-13 05:04:29

Tacho is missing in LXi' date=' which is present in Exi and is an important component of diesel cars. Go for Exi, it is a better package.

Also, I would prefer Figo to Beat.
[/quote']

I called Harpreet ford Gurgaon, they said Techo is not available now in Exi.

Thanks friends,

I have narrowed down my option to Figo Exi and Ritz Ldi (with some accessories as add-on).

Budget streched to 5.6 onroad. I feel from reliability point of view Ritz is ahead?