Flywheel

Hyundai Verna 1.5 VGT turbo issue?

When there is a problem with a turbo youcannot repair it, it can only be replaced . I think it cost 50k for VGT turbo of Verna diesel .Try to go to other service centres and get their review on the problem with the car .

Will be sending it to another service center to check it out this weekend. They say it costs 65k. The car is still under warranty so cost is not much of an issue. I was just wanted to confirm if the problem is really with the turbo or elsewhere. I don't want to send it to the workshop for another two or three days for nothing.

Very sorry to hear the owes. But this problem is common with Hyundai Verna diesel. I know about similar stories where Hyundai claim problem with timing change.

1. Do you see oil on the floor after the smoke ? Then it must have been a turbo blow out.

2. I think that smoke indicates loss of exhaust pressure. I guess the entire piping needs to be checked rather than just replacing the turbo blindly., including timing change.

3. I hope you have contacted head of service. What did they say ?

4. Since your car is under warranty getting turbo replaced is still ok, but if warranty runs out, cost can be as large as 70k. So I suggest that if there is no settlement, sell this car off.

@sb-alto:Thanks a lot for these pointers.

There was no oil spill on the floor after the smoke, so I think we can rule out a turbo blow out.

I seem to agree with the loss of exhaust pressure. I will surely will ask the service station to look at this and the timing change.

We have spoken to everyone concerned on this issue. Even spoken to Hyundai directly, it appears to me that the Hyundai engineers seem to trying to sort this issue using a trial and error method.

The worrying thing is the warranty gets over this May, and I can only hope this issue is resolved before that.

@Flywheel

Made a typo : I mean "timing chain" and not timing change. smiley30.gif. Sorry, my bad.

1. Since the smoke is white, and musical, I guess there is a leakage somewhere and pressure is lost via small orifice. That makes a whistle like noise and since there is a loss of pressure, the air is not sufficient enough for the next cycle and hence engine is stalling.

2. I think you should do it fast. If problems are eliminated, well and good. If not then repair and sell it off. No point crying over a problematic car. Exchange with an i20 crdi via Hyundai.

@FlywheelMade a typo : I mean "timing chain" and not timing change. smiley30.gif. Sorry' date=' my bad. 1. Since the smoke is white, and musical, I guess there is a leakage somewhere and pressure is lost via small orifice. That makes a whistle like noise and since there is a loss of pressure, the air is not sufficient enough for the next cycle and hence engine is stalling. 2. I think you should do it fast. If problems are eliminated, well and good. If not then repair and sell it off. No point crying over a problematic car. Exchange with an i20 crdi via Hyundai.

[/quote']

Thanks again. I have already forwarded these solutions to the service engineer. I will let you know what they have to say.

They have checked the timing chain and the piping has been checked and they say everything is fine.

According to them this problem is because they are having vendor problems for the Turbo. I am really finding this hard to believe.

We should be getting the car back today or tomorrow again with the turbo replaced again smiley7.gif . I can accept the fact that parts in a car can fail but I don't understand how Hyundai cannot resolve a problem with a car they built.

Vendor problems ? I did not get it !. How is vendor problem related to faulty turbo every time ?

Exactly my question. Since I asked those questions now they have checked and told us that there is some leak and the some oil or fluid( not sure what this is) has gone into the radiator, they have changed the radiator also now. I have asked them to look at everything again throughly because I am not satisfied with them simply changing the turbo.

Well we got the car back again and sure enough the same thing happened again. Its amazing Hyundai have already spent around 3.5 lakhs replacing turbos and other parts in the car. I can't trust the car anymore,I think its about time we dispose the car off. We are just tried of being stranded non stop.

If anyone has any thoughts on this issue, or suggestions it would help a lot? Its back at the service center and I am giving it one last try

@flywheel

Sad to hear about it. I suggest, do not try anymore. Sell it via Hyundai and exchange it with an i20 crdi. Also do not think of lateral upgrade. You will not loose much on the value and I guess you can easily get a new i20 crdi top variant.

If you want to sell it yourself, you might get in trouble with service history or may be get stalled in a selling TD. I see no other solution.

I think you car is a lemon indeed , get a new Verna or an i20 via Hyundai exchange because the service history is too messed up for any private or dealer to buy it from you for good price .

I guess there is problem with every manufacturer that 1 in 500 units sold is a lemon . If you buy new car then get the extended warrenty too .