kalyansundar

New Swift D vs Hyundai i20 CRDi vs Toyota

With the launch of new Swift D its very confusing for the diesel hatch buyers to pick one between these cars with fully featured variant coming within bracket of 6.5L to 7.5 L on road. After doing TD with each of the cars below are my findings, I've intentionally left Polo due to insufficient A$$ and TATA Vista for its constant niggling issues and TA$$.

Toyota Liva, 5.9L Ex-showroom
Pros,
1) Good ride comfort and handling
2) Basic car and nothing but a good car
Cons,
1) Missing VD version
2) Engine noise
3) Toyota's first this segment car for India, so time can only tell how serious Toyota is with this segment.

New Swift ZDi, 6.5L Ex-showroom
Pros,
1) Beautiful handling and drive comfort
2) New premium interior look
3) Sporty muscular exterior
Cons,
1) Impractical boot space
2) Insufficient rear seat comfort.
3) Long waiting period

Hyundai i20 Asta 1.4 CRDi, 7.05L Ex-showroom
Pros,
1) Good ride and handling comfort,
2) Premium interior and rear seat comfort
3) Loads of features
Cons,
1) Some steering and A/C problem-don't know it has been fixed or not.
2) Poor mileage (12kmpl in city with A/C on)
3) Expensive spare cost

Guys, which would be a better pick considering the above facts..??

Cheers,
Kalyan

Thread moved:To the right section.
BornFree2011-11-06 16:50:05

Of the lot Swift would be my pick. Liva D is a car that you will fall in love with time: may not be love at first sight. i20 is also a good car with premium feel and expensive in comparison to the other two. Swift has been "oversubscribed" many times over and today's 'The Hindu' has a headline article enlisting the woes of the worker's at MSIL and they seem to be a harrowed lot for sure. Wonder when the labor issue will get sorted out and MSIL's market share has come down to 39.5% due to the strike.

Im  also kind-off sailing in the same boat as the OP. Swift was the obvious choice but for the looong waiting periods. Now Im focussing on Liva more than any other & the absence of a Tachometer is keeping me away. Just very difficult to imagine driving a narrow power-band diesel without a tacho.

Also waiting for some ownership reviews of the Liva before taking a final plunge. Still a new/upgraded Liva ~ six months/year down the lane would be ideal because Toyota would have taken care of some of the short-comings by then based on Customer feedback.

Although I have not seen the diesel Liva physically, I have driven a petrol one. All I can say is that, this car looses the image of anything premium. There is so much of cost cutting and so many cheap bits, that you often forget that its a toyota.

1. The cabin is so noisy. Even with all windows rolled up and with AC on.

2. The horn is louder inside that on the out.

3. Close the doors with eyes shut, and you can mistake this an old Zen or WagonR.

4. The model I got to drive was G, which has lot of exposed metals, here and there.

5. The instrument panel is not very attractive during the day, you can easily miss the speedo needle.

Ride quality and handling was very good though. Overall, I was not impressed with the quality levels.

@kalyan

Are you looking for a diesel hatch ? Or is it another discussion ? For general discussions we have If it is for your personal requirement' date=' then I suggest to take a look at Figo TDCi. To me this diesel hatch is a no-brainer choice.

[/quote']

I was in a dilemma till last week, and atlast booked the Swift Zdi to be in the safe zone. But looking at current condition in MSIL plant I am still in doubt about the delivery date which is said to be Jan'12 1st week.

Figo TDCi is a good pick but after one of my friend's Ikon experience I want to stay away from a Ford...

Nonetheless I've found this question arising between most of my friends and colleagues as well who are also looking for a good diesel hatch with good A$$. And these three are the options striking again.. So thought of starting the comparison extensively... smiley4.gif

@BornFree

I completely agree with your view, its a new car and after some time it'll be flawless. Liva might be a good option but without having a VD version it's too basic. I've test driven the diesel version, it's good in ride and handling, the diesel performance is also not bad, but personally I can't stay with the cabin noise it offers... smiley11.gif

Though I've booked the Swift Zdi, but looking at the current scenario I'm re-thinking my decision and thinking to go for an i20 Asta CRDi. I hope the problems has been fixed now. One of my friend has got an i20 Asta CRDi, bought last April and already driven 15K, he is very satisfied with the car.

The roads here in this part Kolkata is terribly bad, but still he doesn't have any issues with it and claiming an overall mileage of 17kmpl.. smiley3.gif . Also, personally user i20 CRDi will attract more resale value after 5/7 years. What say..??

Oh, you are from Kolkata too. How did I miss that ?smiley2.gif

Where in Kolkata do you stay?

I like everything about the swift, except the luggage space. If you are ok with a tiny boot, there is nothing like the swift. But considering the space Figo is a better value.

IIRC, i20 crdi has an imported engine, which has very high maintenance cost and spares are too costly.  i20 crdi will actually have less resale value than swift D. The same thing happened with Getz crdi. Plus i20 D is costly as well.

@Kalyan:

Why don't you consider a Ritz VDi ABS?

I think its overall a more practical choice as compared to a Swift and also its available for a considerably lesser price as well as its waiting period is also very less.

Though I've booked the Swift Zdi' date=' but looking at the current scenario I'm re-thinking my decision and thinking to go for an i20 Asta CRDi. I hope the problems has been fixed now. One of my friend has got an i20 Asta CRDi, bought last April and already driven 15K, he is very satisfied with the car.

The roads here in this part Kolkata is terribly bad, but still he doesn't have any issues with it and claiming an overall mileage of 17kmpl.. smiley3.gif . Also, personally user i20 CRDi will attract more resale value after 5/7 years. What say..??

[/quote']

Exactly Sailing in the same boat as mine.

No doubt, New Swift isn't the best but Its not the worst either & that's the force which made me(& offcourse you) to book one.

I've exhaustively re-though my purchase decision, test driven all the cars from Beat(cheapest Diesel) to Polo(most expensive) & till now it yielded no results except New Swift.

As per my advice, i20 CRDi is strictly no no for now, as:

-Its the expensive, as per segment.

-Its face-lift is expected to arrive soon as the current one is too long in the tooth.

-Its engine is noisy.

-Fuel efficiency isn't great either. 16-17kmpl to be precise.

-High Maintenance & Spare parts cost.

-Steering trouble is still there, as reported by the friend of my cousin, who've bought one a month earlier.

Another Serious option after New Swift which I felt is the Fiat Punto. If you can live with Fiat's doubtious AfSS, then there's no match for it across the segment in country today .

Why don't you consider a Ritz VDi ABS?

I think its overall a more practical choice as compared to a Swift and also its available for a considerably lesser price as well as its waiting period is also very less.

Really an option worth considering.

Plus its readily available with lucrative offers also.dr_nishu2011-11-07 11:10:45

I would say that I am a satisfied customer of 1st batch of Hyundai i20 CRDi and the rattling problems were of the past and no rattles are there in the silent cabin of i20 . Also I can say that the i20 diesel is the most silent diesel engine in any of the hatchback sold in India Period!

Average service cost is 2.7k every 6 months with included engine oil and fuel catridge change . Yes the steering is light but its meant for the masses and is a bless in city traffic .Resale value is something that I havn't given much thought to as I am not going to sell my car ever .

@SB

Yes I'm from Kolkata, it's one of the suburban called Chinsurah. I'm buying the car for my everyday commute to my office at Rajarhat, i.e. 100Kms up and down. Most of the time I'll be the only person using the car through 50-50 city and highway, so boot space shouldn't be any problem, but the waiting period is too long.

@Vipul

For Ritz Vdi with ABS, the sales guy told me a waiting period of 2 months. So it's basically same for me. Also I'm not very comfortable with it's looks. Other than Punto, Micra I found no diesel car is readily available in the showroom. And when I'm asking for a discount (atleast a mere corporate one) they are staring as if I'm a terrorist and asking for all of his money... smiley7.gif

@doctor

Very well said "New Swift isn't the best but Its not the worst either", same conclusion that I've booked Swift Zdi, but the secret is, if I get a better choice before the delivery of Swift (e.g. Liva Vd or i20 v2.0), I'll cancel my booking and will go for it.. smiley2.gif

@rssh

Good to hear that you love your car and willing to continue ever, appreciate it.. But the overall i20 owners reactions are mixed, so for a potential buyer it's very confusing with all those fuss alive.. smiley5.gif

@kalyan - I'm sure you're super confused now, the I20 is a premium hatch and comes with many fancy and useful features that swift doesn't have.

Swift -

Pro's: mileage, a$$, maintenance

Cons's : boot, short gear throws( needs frequent gear shifts) door rattling, boring interiors, not premium by any chance, misses out on crucial features like telescopic steering and worst driver seat ergonomics. I have problems with the ergonomics and its never comfortable every in short trips.

H I20 - asta : much better n good looking interiors, very smooth ride, no turbolag in 2011 models, better boot space than swift. Fancy features., power

Cons: expensive, avg mileage.

No steering rattling issues, imo it wasnt tht bad n the new versions are much better.

Bottom line - if initial cost is not a problem, close ur eyes and go for I20. It's much more comfortable than swift anyday.

Check out the following links,

EconomicTimes

MoneyControl

Now I'm pretty sure that I'll cancel my Swift dreams and will book the i20. I cannot wait for 6 moths, also the quality of the car might not be satisfactory.

With all these concerns head on I thought of second largest company with good customer satisfaction and A$$, i.e. Hyundai. I personally visited one Hyundai workshop and asked about the problems. While they've clearly admitted the A/C problem but told the steering problem has been rectified. The mileage they claimed at about 12Kmpl in city with A/C on. That's okay with me with diesel.

I've checked my friends i20 for a long drive, no issues found whatsoever. Also, from Hyundai's website I've enquired about the facelift version of the i20. If everything seems fine then on this Saturday I'll cancel the Swift booking and will book the i20.

@ whitepod,

where from you got the info on Worst Ergonomics, I ve driven it for 1500kms on a single day, so I can guarantee, its the best car for driver comfort.

A strict NO from my side too for the i20. Its going to be taken off market soon. Interiors alone don't make a car.

i20 looses out to swift in lots of dept, few of which being,

Handling,

Ergonomics,

FE,

New product,

Cheaper maintenance,

Engine,

Ride,

Strike at Maruti is taking a heavy toll. I think MSIL should do all it can for a resolution of the impasse at the earliest. Not only is MSIL loosing money, it is a confidence busting event and it will also loose the precious good will it has garnered over decades. I think instead of accelerating the line to produce 1200 cars/day instead of the present 1152 cars/day it can add another shift and add another factory instead of taxing already tired workers into increasing their productivity which may ultimately become counter productive.

@kalyansundar: I think i20 would be a great choice.

i will planing to buy new car. so which could be better amoung these 3 car new swift' date=' honda jazz, and i20.[/quote']

Go for Honda Jazz.

Since you've included Honda Jazz in your options list, i'm expecting that you're preferring a Petrol car.

Id rather wait another month for my new maruti swift which I have booked other than being hasty and buying some other car which I will definitely get much faster, but it wont even be half as good as a maruti swift!!

Id rather wait another month for my new maruti swift which I have booked other than being hasty and buying some other car which I will definitely get much faster' date=' but it wont even be half as good as a maruti swift!![/quote']

In which month you've booked the New Swift ??

What's the expected delivery month quoted by the MS dealer !

@ Nishu: You replied on Nov 07 post in this thread that Ritz VDi ABS is coming with "offers" as well...is it true?

I am in Gurgaon and to best of my knowledge no dealer is giving any single penny on this. Do you know any friends of yours who has got any offer on Ritz VDi, when and from which dealer?