killing_car

Mercedes Exposed

Sorry to hear about the trajic accident.

This again proves that the much acclaimed AirBags from even the

most advanced manufacturers have their own way of functioning.

I saw a couple of cases wherein the AirBags opened just like that.

Even without hitting anything.  Even when the car was being driven

in 20s and 30s.  Even when hitting bicycles and autorickshaws.

But, how come, in this case, the passenger side AirBag opens and

not the Driver's ?

Strange indeed. 

Can we call this MB logic `the fate' ?

condolences from my side. This reminds me of a similar incident that occurred on Bandra-worli sea link where a youth died because the airbags failed to deploy in a Skoda laura.

after looking at the link which DD has posted, one of the reasons that come out for airbags not deploying is that frontal damage on the bonnet (engine bay) is limited. That is where the sensors are for deploying airbags.

please take up this matter in Mercedes to the highest level.  

Thanks for your support guys..

yes it is a really big loss for the whole family..

And it is not just about the airbags, the car is supposed to be Rock Solid, but if you see the link posted, it doesn't seem like a Mercedes S Class (of 90 lakhs), rather a small sedan which has a thin line of steel cover on its body thats it..

If this thing had to happen, then why should one take such cars?? We are spending crores on our safety and ultimately what we are receiving is this.. that our brother is found dead on driver's seat because car was not able to respond on that particular second..

On this Mercedes people say that we are sorry for your loss, ones we examine the car then we will tell you why this happened????????

This is ridiculous...

@killing car :

Very sorry to hear this. Condolences from my side too.

This is very annoying to see that such premium brands like Mercs having serious faults. This matter should be taken to legal stages and although a life would never come back, Merc should pay a full govt regulatory compensation along with another S class.

A flipside is also present. Although we do not know anything about this car's service history, but many people, educated and rich sometimes take unprofessional aid to rectify faults and service. We all know that Premium brands have premium service costs, so people tend to avoid these by any means.

Whether it is the fault of the system, or whether these service costs are justified is still a question. Although I have never used any such premium brands(and may be never will) but I know a few people having these taking help of other service institutions to avoid such costs. A 2005 petrol C class have an approximate service cost of over a lakh for the 30k km. And such people go to bosch service stations and other equipped garages to get their car serviced according to their wish.

My intention is neither to blame the person associated nor to advice people to service in respective service centers. I wanted to know if their is a solution to such premium costs related to these cars.

sb-alto2011-11-30 05:57:56

Yes sir that is true what you said.. But on this i would like to check you that our car used to go for regular service check, infact just two days before the accident, servicing of all the parts were done, which actually gave a billing amount of 1+ lakh.. Also i would like to mention here, that before a small accident also took place, then also 3 airbags from side came up.. that service costed us 7+ lakh rupees.. All from genuine T & T Motors Jaipur.. Now you tell me, why shouldn't we blame the company??

Looking from the impact, it seems that the A, B Pillar and roof took the hit and was ripped out and though there will be curtain airbags the sensors may have failed to detect the crash and A Pillar has hit the driver leading to the injury. This may have happened when you try an over taking manoeuvre from the left of the slow moving truck with barely enough space and the truck may have swerved to the left resulting in the hit at high speed. The S Class is more than 5 metres long and almost 2 metres wide. One should also recollect that Princess Di also had fatal crash in an S Class.

@DD

the censors for curtain airbags and door side airbags are placed on the doors, and a major impact on the door would have had triggered the deployment but unfortunately in this case the roof of the car suffered major damage an area where there are no sensors for airbag. We can see airbag deployed near the rear driver side door and damage at the rear driver side door also.

This is one of those unfortunate accidents where technology being present wasnt usefull at all.

@killing car :

That is sensible on your part. I never blamed you but just wanted to double check if the car was sound. Now you even have evidences to prove the cars technical issues.

@sarabjeet

You are right. Moreover it seems that there was something like a bar or extension that ripped the car from the top of the pillars, resulting in head hits. In that case even Airbags could not have saved him.

BTW is there any way to figure out from the ECU, what speeds he was doing when the car met with an accident ? High speeds can kill technologies.

@killing_car

First of all accept my condolences.

I have seen the link posted by DD. The 'A' and 'B' pillar of the car is ripped off. Then why curtain airbags did not deploy? Ok merc can have an excuse for driver front airbag but what about curtain airbags. Are they meant to be deployed only in case of a deep side impact? Then what about safety in such cases? I strongly feel that a car casting 1 crore and where the buyer did not question about FE, should be strong enough to provide safety in such cases. The car is crushed like anything still side airbags did not deploy. What about the streangth of body casing? It was not strong enough for a 1 crore car.

Though any compensation can not bring your brother back but you should ask merc to pay at least a compensation of 50 crores.

@SB-Alto,

yes I think Mercedes COMMAND does register the top speed and avg speed based on time map.

@Ashikawa , unfortunately airbags deploy incase of impact but in this case the whole roof was ripped of. The spot where curtain airbag is placed has also been ripped of.

@Killing_car Did the S class have Panoramic sunroof ?

sarabjeet2011-11-30 09:05:59

@DD

Thank you sir, this is precisely what happened. The place where there were airbags actually, it turned out to be the most destructive among all.

@SB- alto

Yes sir, that is true that the car was in speed above 100kmph, but i think think this is how you run on a highway. We went to the place where all this happened too, all the villagers were like, there was so much sound of brakes, that even people from far villages heard it and ran and came to help him.

@ashikawa

Thats the most unwanted truth right now. We dont want a peny, we can give them crores, if they are ready to recover our loss.

Worst has already happen. All we want is they should realize their mistake, and take strict security measures, not like this what has already happen. We dont want any other family to lose their child.

@sarabjeet

yes there was a sunroof also, that was also broken.

Posting a similar kind of accident of Polo found on facebook. This Polo rear ended a stationary truck. Airbag did not deploy due to the fact that chassis was not hit from the front but strong body case saved the day for driver and passenger and they escaped unhurt.

zRp1f.jpg

Posting a similar kind of accident of Polo found on facebook. This Polo rear ended a stationary truck. Airbag did not deploy due to the fact that chassis was not hit from the front but strong body case saved the day for driver and passenger and they escaped unhurt.
zRp1f.jpg

Looking at the response, i have a question: does that mean that in order to get the Airbag deployed at the time of such event, the impact must be on the trigger of Airbag, otherwise it will not trigger the Airbag to get deployed? Is that what you said?

Looking at the response' date=' i have a question: does that mean that in order to get the Airbag deployed at the time of such event, the impact must be on the trigger of Airbag, otherwise it will not trigger the Airbag to get deployed? Is that what you said?

[/quote'] Unfortunately Yes. Though even after having impact at trigger due to defects it may not open( rare chances).So i am always of a firm view that strong body case and chassis and seat belts are the most important tools of safety.

That's really a big pro in favour of German engineering.

And really Polo have proved herself for India atleast in Safety stakes, as the latter is getting really important these days considering the Increasing traffic we're facing everyday.

Well done Polo n Congrats alot to Polo onwers, seekers & its fans.smiley20.gif

i have a question: does that mean that in order to get the Airbag deployed at the time of such event' date=' the impact must be on the trigger of Airbag, otherwise it will not trigger the Airbag to get deployed? Is that what you said?
[/quote']

Yes it is..

Actually the sensors for activating the Steering & Co-passenger Airbag(in dashboard) are located behind the front bumper. So any Impact involving hitting of these enables Inflation of airbags & thus ensuring Safety of passengers.

While Curtain airbags(if present) gets inflated when the side portion of the car hits any obstacle.

+1 to Dr Nishu and Ashikawa(That's a Polo 1.6):-

Why?Even I too have heard as well as read at many places that airbags does not deploy in such a case as of the Polo and the Merc,why?Because the trigger is located somewhere near the lower end of the grill behind the fron bumper and in case any impact is there above the trigger(even if it misses by 1 mm)then the airbags will not open EVEN IF ITS A VOLVO.Also the system can't be made very sensitive too,else if even the car will collide with a bicycle then the airbags will open up and then they are really costly to fix then people will blame the company in an another way.

When my Laura brushed a stationary truck,my half front bumper was damaged and 'pop' the airbags opened(I have already mentioned this before in 'your top speed ever' thread).

Overall that means that IN CASE THE TRIGGER IS NOT STRUCK,THE AIRBAGS WILL NOT OPEN..

Secondly:Its the technology and it can fail too and maybe this is the worst form of the failure of technology.

Third and most important:

After all its the driver who is the reason and sufferer of all,so the driver needs to be careful.