killing_car

Mercedes Exposed

@killing_car: My heartfelt condolences to you and your family

As mentioned by dr_nishu, the sensors to deploy front airbags are present behind front bumpers. So in effect they will deploy when something hits the front of a car.

Even in another recent accident involving actor Ronit Roy (he was also driving a merc), driver side airbag did deploy. But in this case the collison was frontal.

I don't know what could be the rationale engineers think when they devise this strategy to deploy airbags.

To me atleast the driver side airbag should get deployed even if the impact is from side/top...

nirmal-mercedes-car-accident-jaipur.jpg

This is Mercedes S Class we are talking about.. Just look at the so called tough Steel Body, which is supposed to survive after any calamity, this is what happened in real..

All the excuses, all the promises are fake..

Truth is not Not Acceptable..

My heartfelt condolences to you Mr Saraf.

This calamity indeed highlights the state of auto sector in our country, no matter how much any journo may debate how much the automobile scene in our country has improved, I still feel the autocos still haven't given enough value for their cars ,especially in excess of 20 lakh with stripped down versions of their international cousins and what not.This incident is prime e.g of the over hyped "premium" companies ripping our countrymen economically and in this case , of the most invaluable thing , human life.

The concept, of bigger the car, more the metal, stronger car shell , especially in big sedans/suv's is so overblown by the very same companies, in every country, be it developed or not, that we often get carried away with that " I am in a well built car I am safe mentality ". Most people I find , not just in India, but in USA/UK or similar developed nations , too agree on this hyper blown trend.In the states, I see more females driving suv's than sedans/hatches with idea of the SUV keeping them safe in their minds !

Although,  the very same companies have indeed come out with a lot of security enhancements, the driving scene in our country is so bad, that even a sensible driver , at any speed , be it 40 or 100 plus, is equally exposed to mortal risks, irrespective of the car make/build. The situtation in India is so different, where animals,3 wheelers, lorries ,  trucks and what not share thesame spcae we call city/town roads and highways.

YOU CANNOT COMPARE THE POLO ACCIDENT to this one,just like no two cars

are same, no two accidents are the same, so its so lame to cheer on for a car like polo, especially when we are seeing here a car like S class has failed to protect its occupant. IF a S  can't take it, then I am sure a polo will be carted across like a golf ball . pun intended.

And dd sir, I see no logic in bringing princess Diana's accident here. That crash was a very , very high speed crash in excess of 150 km/h, if I remember correctly, and the car,which probably an M or a higher version,that crashed into a wall or an intersection and the driver was drunk trying to out speed the chasing reporters,, so here it was kiosks and Mr saraf I am sure would not have been doing more than 100km/h since the truck was parallel at the time of impact,,so his car certainly had a MUCH MUCH BETTER CHANCE TO WITHSTAND impact.

MY SINCERE REQUEST to the forum members, is to keep posts around the same topic, especially after seeing kudos and recommendations to polos,, or whether the car was appropriately serviced,the latter probably the lamest post I have seen .

It takes away the focus from callosity shown by a much more respected and considered bullet proof company towards the very customers who have made them this big.

Nothing can replace what you have lost sir, and I totally support you in your stand against MB, I pray for Mr Nirmal's soul's peace and may you find some redemption amongst all this.

If I have sounded a bit harsh , then I am sorry , but could not control my emotions when I saw posts regarding servicing/ cars comparison in light of   such unfortunate accident having had happened.

Thank you brother.. I cant express how i felt reading your lines, my eyes became wet.. Thank you so much for writing..

It is true that my brother can never come back, but all this effort is to make sure that in future, if anyone leaves home, alone anywhere, he/she should be fully precautionary in terms of all the resources that they have. Also these car makers better take care of their duties, rather than making fake advertisements for their promotions. Before buying a car salesman calls u hundred times, but after such thing they dont pick up your calls.. Previously they come home searching for you, now they all are hiding from us.. "We are sorry for your loss, we will look into the matter ones the car comes in our garage", these are the lines of those bas***ds

We will never forgive them, and hope the worst happens to them..

As a company, they have no right to play with anybody's emotions.

Please i request all the forum members, if there is anything that i wrongly said i am sorry.. But right now its not about me, its about all of us.. we have to make sure that we are not fooled.. Just imagine if you get a 1 crore rupee car from your dad for your security, and in the end it turn out to be your life taker, what will happen to your family.. The same is happening with us right now.......

Mr saraf YOU DO NOT, I repeat , DO NOT have to apologize for anything .

A life has been lost, that is of paramount concern here, and experienced old timers are smiley32.gif  a car like polo , doubting servicing, and what not. I have no issues with the Polo or anyone, but for godsake, we have lost someone AND  its enraging to compare a VW hatch from a different accident to the flagship of Mercedes , and recommending / applauding it is sheer lunacy.

I am not trying to create friction / get into a war of words amongst forum members, just want to EXHORT ,that its just that our attention should be towards the culprit , be it the dealer/service center/parent company, and lets stick to that in this thread , at least, and not plus one non  related posts, like the one I pointed out.

Going by the same hare brained logic, people have survived horrific accidents in "considered to be made of cardboard/ tin pots" like m800,zen etc so its totally uncalled for to follow the typical mindset of ours, which is to compare, in such a situation.

I am not against anyone/ any brand, its just really sad to see stripped down  versions , " tuned for Indian conditions" engines , and comparatively spartan features that are fed to the gullible here.Its not just in d segment or suv's, but even hatches/sedans vary in their features, brand to brand, country to country. A brand like Honda, god knows how it has come to be been considered " premium" in our country, offers just two airbags for the Jazz in any variant , while the us spec car gets side air bags and additional safety gizmos. And this is just one example, where brands have cashed in on their over hyped images to cut back on vital features, which happen to be safety ones in most cases.

IF YOU WANT TO LOOT , LOOT, but for god sake Don't compromise on Safety, That is the message I want to send OUT in the highest octave to any body who is reading this, especially to AUTO-COS and the Govt. who themselves have no bother in the world about such important issues.

ABS, EBD , and air bags , rather than being made customary, are still branded as " security features" by auto-cos to the less informed, which is really  a double standard .

I don't knows if ARAI or whichever is the authority vs a vs the NCAP for crash testing in our country, there ought to be a tough set of rules/specifications that have to be met w.r.t security as well as performance of any auto, be it 2 ,3,4 or multi legged.

Take full legal action Mr saraf, wishing you best of luck for justice to prevail now.

A life has been lost' date=' that is of paramount concern here, and experienced old timers are smiley32.gif? a car like polo , doubting servicing, and what not.[/quote'] It is you, who is taking a plight from the subject by discussing service issues not others.
I have no issues with the Polo or anyone' date=' but for godsake, we have lost someone AND? its enraging to compare a VW hatch from a different accident to the flagship of Mercedes , and recommending / applauding it is sheer lunacy.[/quote'] Yes this so called flagship product will be compared with each and every small car which proved itself during accidents because safety is safety and all products will be put on the same yardstick for comparison.
?I am not trying to create friction / get into a war of words amongst forum members' date=' just want to EXHORT ,that its just that our attention should be towards the culprit , be it the dealer/service center/parent company, and lets stick to that in this thread , at least, and not plus one non? related posts, like the one I pointed out.[/quote'] This topic was going very much in line till you made this comment. Everybody in the forum has sympathy and sensitivity towards the loss of Mr. Saraf. And everybody stood firm on the point the he should get justice. But he has not started this topic to gain sympathy . He has quoted a incident happened to his dear one and we are suppose to discuss everything on safety aspect to reach a conclusion. Quoting and referring other incidences is a part of that discussion.

Though your comment was not connected to my post directly but still i had to write because your comments and the language used by you, are driven by mere emotions and clearly indicate your bias towards a particular brand and disrespect towards other members.

Though your comment was not connected to my post directly but still i had to write because your comments and the language used by you' date=' are driven by mere emotions and clearly indicate your bias towards a particular brand and disrespect towards other members. [/quote']

When you say my post is driven by emotion, you do not bother to realise why its not just about emotions alone. By merely twisting the "language" from my post you cannot derive most of what you replied above.

Mr saraf is not looking for sympathy, is something to be understood, not said. Even he has understood the meaning of my post, So I only wonder why you have come up with all this, even as you admit you were not mentioned.

When you say I am taking plight, yes sir, If you ask someone who has lost a loved one, that too in such a car, and someone asks about servicing , you don't need rocket science to understand that a customer who can get a 100 cr masterpiece will ever think of saving dough on servicing. and to inform you, IT WAS NOT ME WHO POSTED THIS, I will not name, as you have already read that post.So do not accuse me of doubting servicing, You are just twisting the "language" to get your baseless point through.

Those were my disagreements, NOT DISRESPECT towards any member.. Even after this someone is offended I sincerely apologize.

OK , you want to compare, fine do it. But you want to compare an S to each and every production car in this country? now are you not getting driven away by god knows what emotions? going by what you say , we can fairly assume, you can compare a S to a Nano, with all due respect to the brilliant concept and the finished product the Nano is which i also happen to like, for a similar incident ? Will you?

NO TWO ACCIDENTS ARE THE SAME, LIKE TWO CARS ARE NOT THE SAME, I repeat, and lets say, we go by what you are trying to say, in literary terms, you are comparing a well built david ( a polo) to a goliath ( s).talking militarily, its like comparing a T- 90 tank to a assault vehicle.

Still if you want to compare, compare the S to a car of similar lineage(audi/bmw/rolls etc , and a phaeton , not even passat in this case), for  parity and common sense's sake, and not stick to your rather "extreme" yardstick of every production car in the country.

"The japanese car will outlast you, while the german will always save you", I am sure as an experienced Aci'an you would know of this, still if want to compare I request you not to , as a car lover who has had cars in our family from m800 right to the e 250 cdi , both of which  have been like family members to us, I would never compare any of them to each other, for emotional/practical/common sense's reason. YOU ONLY ADD SALT to Mr saraf's tragedy by comparing a polo to  the S . I cannot be more blunt , but talking off the topic, neutrally as a petrol head , I was outraged to see that comparison, comparison accident to accident included. If u think I took plight, have the courage to think how Mr saraf would have felt on seeing the comparison.

And talking of me being against a particular brand, you again trudge of , I am against the habit of ALL BRANDS of not offering the features vs a vis their international versions. I have already mentioned in my previous posts , which is ,well a known fact ,amongst car lovers and even the uninformed car buyers. The vista between versions offered in our country was a big one in the past, although it has improved,Still there is a lot of payback the auto cos have to do .\w.r.t safety ,features and v.f.m.

Hope you get what I mean, peace........

Hello Sir, I am Abdul Rahman Ansari, after reading and seeing those horrific news videos I couldn't not sleep properly or peacefully that night and felt like I have lost a future youth icon of India who could have been an inspirations for the upcoming youths of India including mesmiley19.gif , My deepest condolences to the family of Nirmal Bhaiyaa, after seeing and analysing the videos I felt the airbags should have been deployed irrespective of what type of accident has or had occurred, if the right side knee, curtain, side and steering wheel airbags would deployed on time Nirmal Bhaiyaa could have been alive and I was really shocked that the MBIL didn't even informed their existing customer to send their cars to the service centre for checking out the cars whether they have any safety issues or anything is malfunctioning or there might be a manufacturing defect in the products. Vimalji is right in a swift or any other normal if they have the airbags it would definitely deployed on time irrespective of the type of accident, also its the truck driver's mistake he should have followed the correct road path. In India I feel that the product quality and safety has always been compromised be it a t shirt or a food item or any cars or bikes.

If it had been in the United Kingdom the Mercedes Benz UK Limited would have definitely launched an enquiry into what happened to the safety systems and the overall performance of their S Class (UK Version of S Class) and the thing is the S Class (Pre-facelifted Indian Version) which Nirmal Bhaiyaa had was manufactured in India locally assembled, so that may have played an important role in compromising the quality of the materials and etc used in the car.

By the way Sir, I was puzzled that why didn't MB Jaipur dealer didn't offer their customer an option to upgrade to the latest version (Facelifted Indian Version), after this incident I had promised to say away from the mercedes brand in India, shame on them that they (MBIL) play with peoples lives. Please tell the Family of Nirmal Bhaiyaa everything will be ok and I pray to God that the answers come out as soon as possible, RIP Nirmal Bhaiyaa we will miss you smiley19.gif.

Dear Sir, thanks for writing... It is indeed a really depressing incident.. All the things were completely opposite of the situation.. MB people are still hiding their faces, not answering, not replying.. This is the most cruel company, with criminals in them.. I completely agree with you that all these companies compromise on quality when they enter in India market.. All coz of the poor system.. Consequences which we have to bear anyhow..

Dear Sir' date=' thanks for writing... It is indeed a really depressing incident.. All the things were completely opposite of the situation.. MB people are still hiding their faces, not answering, not replying.. This is the most cruel company, with criminals in them.. I completely agree with you that all these companies compromise on quality when they enter in India market.. All coz of the poor system.. Consequences which we have to bear anyhow.. [/quote']

Yes Sir, I completely agree with you, some of the company introduce strip drown versions of the high end models which not only reduces the equipment levels but also the safety and other aids in the cars or say trucks and etc. The shocking thing is which I came across was the central locking system which should have helped him to jump out of the dangerous situation was also jammed just because the car systems didn't detect the problem this is just not acceptable by any car lover or a car enthusiastic, by the way (sorry I don't know your name) I have tried spreading the awareness but some of my friends are indirecting pointing fingers at me and from their words it seems that they are thinking I am sabotaging the Mercedes brand and their (friends) liking to the brand in India, they think that I am not right person to support this Noble Cause which can at least make people aware that before buying anything do research about the product history then go ahead and buy it if you feel the need to. But don't worry Sir I am not going to withdraw myself from this cause after such a long time I had got a chance to support a cause which can benefit others and they think I will run away from this no way. What is the update on the case Sir any breakthrough or lead found?

Thanks for your support Ansari ji, it really means a lot to all of us.. It is definitely an incident to be hyped enough to make people aware of it.. For this we did a "candle march" also in front of T & T Motors Jaipur.. People should always check the status of what they are buying, and also the truth behind the words of the salesperson.. We have lost it, but definitely we do not want any other family to lose their child.. In respect to the case, it is launched and already there.. check the link..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/Probe-ordered-against-Merc-in-road-accident-death/articleshow/11052831.cms

We hope to get justice..

Thanks for your support Ansari ji' date=' it really means a lot to all of us.. It is definitely an incident to be hyped enough to make people aware of it.. For this we did a "candle march" also in front of T & T Motors Jaipur.. People should always check the status of what they are buying, and also the truth behind the words of the salesperson.. We have lost it, but definitely we do not want any other family to lose their child.. In respect to the case, it is launched and already there.. check the link..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/Probe-ordered-against-Merc-in-road-accident-death/articleshow/11052831.cms

We hope to get justice.. [/quote']

You're welcome Sir, I am there to support any Noble Cause that will / can benefit the Human Being(s) in anyway, Sir I have a lot of questions going on in my mind at the moment and I am feeling apprehensive when I feel like asking them to you and that's why I'm not able to ask them to you coz I don't want to hurt your feelings, I know its very painful to accept that Bhaiyaa is no more and even I had a similar incident where I lost my teacher who was like an elder sister to me and when I came to know that her husband killed her I was really angry at my fate coz before going abroad I couldn't meet her one last time and in 2007 when a letter came to us it was mentioned in it that she is dead

smiley19.gif , I couldn't control my tears and hid myself from the people around me and cried when I was alone smiley19.gif, I know my elder sister will not come back to me and I miss her so much, sorry if I am sounding silly or pathetic and I shouldn't be posting this here but couldn't control myself. Sir can I get in touch with you if its ok? , here is my http://www.facebook.com/ar.7865 web address, I couldn't not even come across Nirmal Bhaiyaa on facebook coz we didn't had any common friend(s) at all. Inshallah you will surely get justice Satyameva Jayate (May the truth win).

@killing_car Thanks for adding me, I have not been able to concentrate on daily activities like I use to daily after reading about the incident, still trying my best to move on and Inshallah we all (India) will do it successfully, yaar I have come up with an idea that, lets share our feelings / views about the incident and people who knew Nirmal and those who didn't knew him can also share their feelings about the incident on Mercedes Exposed community, ever since I had come across this accident it has little bit scared me and also made me think that its better for me to drive slow rather then risking myself, even today in my sleep the same nightmare came those images of crashed S Class and voices of mercedes exposed are haunting me and I need to forget those bad visuals and remove them asap coz if I didn't do on time then it could affect my life and there could be serious ill effects of that incident on me, the whole of India is waiting for answers and we all shall pray hard that we receive it (answers) fast and real fast, I honestly shared my views and feelings about the whole incident, yaar please do pray to God for all of us and tell him we are waiting for answers otherwise future lives will be ruined if people go mad behind cars and buy them without researching.

@ killing_car  & bmwrockzz :

This is extremely sad news that both of you lost someone close to you. I wish that would not have happened.

@MODS & ACI Forum: being a leading Autocar magzine, can ACI help them in fighting against MB for providing not up to the mark quality product that is too which belongs to super luxury segment?
This is just my thought...may be i am thinking out of the box.

I have read about this incident some other forums also,This is not the fault of Merc . In the case of direct collision of the A,B or C pillars of any cars other than some armored cars with a truck or something similar, this is bound to happen.

I have read about this incident some other forums also' date='This is not the fault of Merc . In the case of direct collision of the A,B or C pillars of any cars other than some armored cars with a truck or something similar, this is bound to happen.[/quote']

Fault or not, the question that comes to my mind is : "Where should the sensors be on the sides so as to trigger an airbag in case of collision?"

At such speed an impact on A/B pillars, is bound to be catastrophic, BUT had the sensors been distributed, and if the airbags (curtain) triggered, it might have helped the driver, or could have lessened the aftermath. If Merc has a place to go wrong, this is it.

@sb alto

Do you really think that a sensor and curtain airbags would have saved this guy ?

Any car in world will not survive this sort of an accident.

If you are looking for real safety build roll cages like those found on rally cars, no airbag or sensor can save you once something as big as a truck slams into the drivers cabin from the top or through the pillars.

Even if this car had a thousand sensors and airbags the outcome would not have been different.

RIP

Listen Mr. Crazy Doc, its ok for you to practically think it as a randon accident, but this was S Class.. you know how much it costs and promises that company makes at the time of selling.. lemme show you..

photo.phpfbid=10150460672026007&set=o494

Read it till the end, and also..

So called safety

I dont need to prove it to you, but the way you are saying is absurd.. Just mind your words.. This was a severe accident, no doubt, but if the car would have been strong enough to handle the jerk (which should have) then things would be much more different.. Its a crore rupees sh*t god damn it!!

Just analyse now and then reply..

@Merc Hatter

Anyone with a little common sense and a little knowledge about the basics of physics won't have believed in these claims.Looks like you lack both of these, tomorrow your friend may crash a Ferrari into a freight train and you will bring up the same *****ic arguments. When money,arrogance and foolishness comes together these sort of things happens.

Excuse me Mr.Crazy, the matter is not about applied physics and common sense.. The matter right now is about the hollowness in reality.. I think you are a Merc employee, who is trying to justify your product now.. Lets say you buy a Million dollar safe for your "safety" and then also it gets cracked up by a knife.. What will you say then?? Its a matter of applied fact and physics that it happened?? ha ha.. Bull sh*tt!!

You buy anything for your safety and security, and if at the required moment, when you need it the most, it bluffs you, then its damn hurting, which is happening to us..

OK, i agree with you about the airbags part, but what about the thick steel body chasing and etc etc.. After seeing the car, it feels like it was made of some paper sheet which got torn off..

And even if you say about servicing and stuff then lemme tell you it was done just 2 days before the accident.. This freakin company charges 97000/- rs for each service.. m sure you are aware of it.. And now the point is not about money, the point is even after all this its barely of any use?? Then what the hell is this company aiming at?? Our lifes??

@CrazyDoc and Killing car

I request both of you to calm down and refrain from personal attacks. Opinions can be explained, not forced.

@CrazyDoc

True, that such an impact in A/B pillars is fatal and even roll cages wont do anything if a car at high speed rams into some heavy object. But I guess what strikes me and all others is the fact that only 1 out of 9 airbags triggered, that too on the wrong side. So there must have been a technical glitch right ?

I still say that at such speeds even a Humvee driver would have got killed, but the fault with airbag system or sensors is really not something that you expect from a Merc S class.

@Killing Car.

I have to agree about the airbag fault. I hope whatever legal steps and ways you have fought for brings a bit of sense and justice all-together. It's true that I have raised questions about cars service and manners of drivers! But see, thats how most accidents happen and since you cleared those doubts, I cant complain. The issues raised by you are logical enough except that steel quality part.

The fact, that you mentioned about structural strength and quality of steel is not to everyone's logic. In such crashes the Merc being lighter than a truck or that kiosk will certainly have greater damages, even if it was made of Titanium or twice the thickness. Also just imagine how thin A/B pillars are. In any cars they can break even if hit with an iron rod and A/B pillars are almost the same in structure from M800 to RR Phantoms. In this regard I feel that your brother was unlucky.

sb-alto2011-12-23 14:59:53