Sign in to follow this  
sham

tuning boxes or remaps

Hi all,

Now that my Punto has come of age(2yrs) and done 30k on the odometer, I've been looking hard on increasing power at exactly certain points to make me feel that the power delivery is seamless .

On this note I've been testing out tuning boxes some of them are good and some are not but the common thing is that they play around with the rail pressure to get the job done.

In a Nutshell they simply fool the stock ECU(which is not a good thing) and since I intend to keep the car for a very long time I dont want such things in my car.

Recently I came across a company called "India cosworth" and they do full engine remaps.

I feel this is the right approach as all the variables can be tweaked accordingly.

Here are my questions.

1.) I've heard a lot about various component damages in the long run.

This is my "ONLY" worry as i want to keep this car for a long time.

Also every brand says that they are only going to bring the "hidden power" back from the engine(whatever....). If that be the case then logically and technically the components should not fail at all as they will be within the tolerance levels.

Please advice

I guess you must send a mail to editorial@autocarindia.com, maybe they could help you with this. M sure there are a lot of guru's in our forum who would also be a good help for sure.

If that be the case then logically and technically the components should not fail at all as they will be within the tolerance levels.

This is where all the Answers to your queries lie.

Modifications if done within ~10% of the car's current status doesn't pose much harm to the car, even in the long run but beyond that it can Seriously affect the Reliability & Safety perspectives of the car.

Also any modification gadget which doesn't involves the Cutting, Splicing & Physical tampering to any Hardware of the car can be used, but again Safety perspective will be affected of your car.

So, Modifications(by anyhow) if done with Proper Precision & by Experts with Genuine-Certified gadgetry like K&N Air-filter, Pete's Tuning box, etc can be used but Beware; No car manufacturer allows you to use such aids in your car which can alter its factory-made Custom settings.

Any kind of modification will also leads to the Warranty lapse of the car.

IMHO, The Best infact the best-est way to extract the max out of your car's engine without losing Warranty is by;

-Using Synthetic Engine Oil, which inturn can improve the Refinement & Power delivery manners of your car.

-Using Iridium Spark Plugs for Petrol cars.

-Using Hi-Performance fuel to power your car.

-Installing tyres with Overall diameter more than Stock wheels will Improves the Top-speed of the car.

-Maintaining Correct tyre Pressure in all the tyres.

dr_nishu: Fiat by default is using a synthetic oil, as i understand you're suggesting something even better?

Could you also name a few that would do the trick?

Hi-Performance fuel is a myth according to me because there is no way of actually testing them out in our local bunks.

how does adding bigger sized tyres improve top speed?

For diesel it is better to go for box than remap. Pete boxes are not cheap, around 30k for linea. (Punto is not enlisted)

Adding a good air intake system will help. But I doubt you can get everything within your budget.

For boxes check out : Spider, Kiirus and Race Dynamics. (Around 20k)

Could you also explain why you choose boxes over remaps.?

I've tested a few boxes as well.

Spider : Not good

RD : good, on my list

kiirus:: not yet

Boxes are plug and play, so can be removed before service. Remaps are permanent.

Boxes come with various modes whereas one remap is one of a kind performance gain

Remaps need high expertise, else things will get messy and costly. Permanent damage fears are also a concern. Much easy with boxes.

Remaps takes time and many dyno runs. Box installation is easy and fuss free.

Could you also name a few that would do the trick?

Yes' date=' I'm referring to High Performance Oils, but FIAT always relies on Synthetic Oils. So that box is ticked out.

Next Option comes the K&N Air Filter, but the latter has its set of complications like Engine Oil blackening, Premature Piston Ring Wear, etc.

So, another option comes to be is the Pete's Tuning box.

Its available for Punto & pumps its power to upto 90PS.

Do Check it out by Search on this forum & its Installation video on Youtube.

how does adding bigger sized tyres improve top speed?

It increases the Overall Diameter of the tyre, which means 'More distance travelled by the wheel by same rotation of its Hub'.

I had one and they seem to work! More power and more mpg. My theory is

the engine has less work to do because of the extra power. But the two

are exclusive! Go easy, more mpg. Drive hard, faster but bye bye

diesel!

reg diesel or petrol? i prefer diesel small carthey are quicker in gear ratios and now many of them are fitted with variabl geometry turbo ,you can check the in gear speeds 20-60,40-100 etc in Autocar last pages of all diesel and petrol driven small cars , this in gear speeds play vital in city driving ,

life of an engine is compromised when you want performance,

reg oils , my toyota Innova was driven on regular oil till now its done 2,70,000 km ,

toyota landcruiser new model launched in india use regular oil ,its done 60000km oil change 10-12000km ,

i prefer synthetic oil only when you are trying to draw more power out of engine.

are there such boxes for old cars like my fiat palio petrol 1.2 2002 model and if so are they really cost efective-i look forward to better mileage and pickup