Sign in to follow this  
dr_nishu

Yamaha or Hero/Honda

After exhaustively using Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG-III for ~5years for City commute & Some Weekend Highway trips with friends. Now I want to buy a New bike as some bike Thieves played a mess & took it away few months back.

The budget range which I usually prefer is 70-90k, with my top priorities being Power, Refinement, Comfort & Stability for Occassional long Highway trips. A a bit of fuel efficiency is also needed alongwith these.

The New bikes which I've Initially considered are;

-BAJAJ Pulsar 180 UG-IV.

-TVS Apache 180 RTR.

-Yamaha FZ-S.

-Yamaha Fazer.

-Hero CBZ Xtreme.

Even I've TD-en KTM Duke 200, its a Great bike, indeed its a Mini-Sports bike & really evokes an enthusiast in you, but it's out of my budget with a Significant margin as it costs Rs.1.3 lacs OTR.

Haven't considered any Honda bike as Twister is small, Stunner & Dazzler are flop.

So, after exhaustively Test Driving & after final analysis, the bikes which I've finally shortlisted are;

-Yamaha FZ-S.

-Yamaha Fazer &

-Hero CBZ Xtreme.

Pulsar is eliminated because its New variant is due very soon & Apache due to its excessively vibrating Handlebar.

So guys, what bike do you Insist/advice me out of my Shortlisted ones ??

Or another side idea is to wait for New Upcoming Honda CBR 150R, which is also due for its launch very soon.

Go for the Fazer because it has a bit more relaxed riding position than the other fz series . Its torquy engine is suited well for cruising in the city as well as the highway . The thick rear tyres adds stability and grip tremendously .

Go for the Fazer

No doubt its Seating is more Upright & is more comfortable against other FZ bikes. Instead FZ & FZ-S seating position itself feels like a tired & boring one.

How do you rate the engine of Yamaha FAZER, considering its just ~150cc. Is it sufficient for some Acceleration sprints & occasional Highway trips ??

As previously i'm too addictive of the Surge of Pulsar 180.

What's your views on this ??

Yamahas has got nice low end which are best for city commute and it will breath in highways but who needs power for occasional highway trips.

Choose between yamahas and not a hero. Your choice depends on practicality and comfort that you need.

If you are parking your bike in tight spaces, it has to be a FZ, if not the other.

I would say that the engine is good for cruising but if you want to have all the power and torque at top end in rpm the Hero/Honda is the one to go for . The Fazer is good for highway because at speeds above 80kmph the front flaring give it good aerodynamics and you are not hit by the wind at speeds .

Things to watch out in the Yahama is that the rear tyre is soft and can wear as early as 8k kms . There are cracked alloys reported across some Fz series bike but if you go at speeds on a pot hole then Yahama cannot be blamed .

Also instead of xtreme see the Dazzler because its riding position is commuter style and is a good cruiser also it not being a great hit the delivery will be faster.

@Nishu

Dazzler is not a flop. I have seen many Dazzler on road, Honda bikes are known to be efficient, comfortable and easy to maintain.

Another bike which would be great depending on your height will be Apache RTR 180. I am 6 ft 3 in and I find it too low, but people with lesser height find it very comfortable. Also check out the Apach 160 FI. Another bike not on your list is Hero Karizma ZMR (I have heard its a great bike, but I have no personal experience with it)

From my friends I have found out, that Bajaj and Yamaha are not the cheapest to maintain.

Honda CBR 150 R wont be priced less than 1 lakh. Also there might be an Apache Refresh coming out soon, so it might be worth waiting for it.

If you are parking your bike in tight spaces' date=' it has to be a FZ, if not the other.[/quote']

Yes, the bike is actually meant for Market or other tight places, else for other functions there's car.

This is the only reason for which I'm considering FZ-S bike, as it's having more flickable handling than Fazer.

Dazzler is not a flop. I have seen many Dazzler on road' date=' Honda bikes are known to be efficient, comfortable and easy to maintain.

Another bike which would be great depending on your height will be Apache RTR 180. [/quote']

Dazzler is rarely seen on the roads of our region.

Reason being its Commuter feel, which keeps the enthusiasts away. Another one being the Honda itself, as the Honda dealer from where I get my(sis's) Honda Activa serviced, have told that Dazzler is having Handle/Steering rattle trouble.

Another being the personal one as, Honda Unicorn was the 1st bike of mine & that's too was from its 1st batch & OMG it really played a lots of Spoilsport while its 2 years of Ownership which was full of incidents like Headlamp & Rear U-cowl Rattles, Warranty claims, etc.

So, no Unicorn based another Honda please.

Instead Yamaha SZ-R is better & more practical option.

Yes, Apache 160/180 are the good options but a short TD of it revealed its Significant flaw i.e Its Handlebar vibration.

OMG, it just shrilled & thrilled my arms in just 2-3 kms of TD, so can't imagine about Multiple year ownership.

That's why straight away rejected Apache-series.

Regarding BAJAJ, they're almost trouble free in their Warranty periods i.e 4-5 years & afterthat it depends on Care & condition of the bike.

But I didn't want to go for Pulsar 200NS as its a totally new design experiment, so don't wanna bet a lakh rupee on probable risk.

So, even after this difficult choices, finally I've shortlisted;

-Yamaha FZ-S.

-Hero CBZ Xtreme.

Another option which I can think of is Honda Stunner.

What your point of view about it guys ??

Btw, Can anybody here knows the actual Fuel efficiency of Fazer & FZ-S ??

Go for the Fz-s hell go for the more macho looking Fz (The flaring doesn't suit it) because it is more flickable than most of the commuter bike in todays maket . The good low end torque is excellent for market place visits .

So' date=' even after this difficult choices, finally I've shortlisted;
-Yamaha FZ-S.
-Hero CBZ Xtreme.

Btw, Can anybody here knows the actual Fuel efficiency of Fazer & FZ-S ??[/quote']

I would suggest for for Fazer. Because of these reasons

Unique styling - makes you distinct on the road, looks bigger bike usual 150 cc.
Wider Rear tyre - add to stability on high speed and so to safety.

Very comfy - even on high speed highway cruise

FE - 45 to 50 KMPL depending upon riding style.

Power/Performance - since same engine is used in all of the Yamaha 150 cc bike hence no difference on paper at least. However, you need to see which one is heavier as weight will affect pickup a slight but will add to stability on high speed.

Good luck. smiley1.gif

So' date=' even after this difficult choices, finally I've shortlisted;
-Yamaha FZ-S.
-Hero CBZ Xtreme.

Btw, Can anybody here knows the actual Fuel efficiency of Fazer & FZ-S ??[/quote']

I would suggest for for Fazer. Because of these reasons

1. Unique styling - makes you distinct on the road, looks bigger bike usual 150 cc.
    Wider Rear tyre - add to stability on high speed and so to safety.

2. Very comfy - even on high speed highway cruise

3. FE - 45 to 50 KMPL depending upon riding style.

4. Power/Performance - since same engine is used in all of the Yamaha 150 cc bike hence no difference on paper at least. However, you need to see which one is heavier as weight will affect pickup a slight but will add to stability on high speed. 

Good luck. smiley1.gif

Mods: Please delete either one of my posts. They get added as an error.
Sstar2012-03-15 15:07:16

Go for the Fazer

No doubt its Seating is more Upright & is more comfortable against other FZ bikes. Instead FZ & FZ-S seating position itself feels like a tired & boring one.

How do you rate the engine of Yamaha FAZER' date=' considering its just ~150cc. Is it sufficient for some Acceleration sprints & occasional Highway trips ??

As previously i'm too addictive of the Surge of Pulsar 180.

What's your views on this ??[/quote']

@ Dr Nishu and rssh.. Though I am no expert in Automobile but correct me if I am wrong. The Seat height and handlebar are exactly at same position for both bikes..In that case how fazer turns out to be more comfortable than?

I have driven both the bikes at a stretch of around ~200kms. Trust me.. the feel-free drive that FZ gives..Fazer lacks it.

The Seat height and handlebar are exactly at same position for both bikes..In that case how fazer turns out to be more comfortable than?I have driven both the bikes at a stretch of around ~200kms. Trust me.. the feel-free drive that FZ gives..Fazer lacks it.

I don't think so.

IMHO, there's a difference in the Handlebar positioning in Fazer, as to accomodate the Bigger fixed fairing & for its Slightly Upright seating position.

I myself have experienced this, even almost all magazines have written this change in the Fazer Test Drive articles.

Even Yamaha itself mentioning the same & Projecting this bike as Long Distance Mile munching 'TOURING SPIRIT' bike.

Btw, I'm waiting for New Upcoming Bajaj Pulsar 200NS.

Have anybody got the Info on its launch or its Showroom arrival ??

Any Pune-ites having any Info on it ??dr_nishu2012-03-18 08:18:25