Flywheel

Steering Vibration

I have just changed my tires and Alloys for my Fiat Punto Emotion+ and am facing some vibrations while I drive above 100kmph. I have got my balancing and alignment checked twice and everything seems right.

I have replaced my stock Apollo tires with Yokohoma C Drives and my OEM alloys with 15 inch 98PCD Evo Alloys.

The vibrations seem to appear after 110kmph till around 125kmph and then reduce/stop afterwards. The vibrations don't occur every time.

My question is would I need to add Hub Centric Rings to my car to avoid this vibration or is this some other problem altogether?

smiley25.gif

Check wheel bearings.  Do a dynamic balance..ie...balance the tires while on the vehicle.

Did you check the engine and body mounts, tie rod ends and the complete steering assembly?  Are the tires first quality or blems?  Make sure to check

? Are the tires first quality or blems?? Make sure to check

Thanks a lot for your responses. Could you please explain this. I didn't quite get you.

We can rule out bent rims since I have just changed my alloys yesterday.

Tires can be sold as "blems" which means blemished...or what we call "#2s".  These are the tires that don't meet exact specifications but can still be sold.  A tire store can check them.\

If the tires balance off the car (assuming they were balanced correctly) but you have vibration when on the car have the tire store balance the tires while on the car.  That is called dynamic balancing.

Otherwise, check the entire suspension system including the rack and pinion.

Remember that vibrations don't get better...they just get worse and could cause an accident.

Flywheel I forgot one thing.  Don't forget to check for cracks on support members such as the strut towers and the lower A assembly. 

Although not likely....rev the engine slowly through the operation range in neutral to ensure that it's not the engine vibrating.

Check wheel bearings.  Do a dynamic balance..ie...balance the tires while on the vehicle.

A very good advice. Its is always better to have wheels balanced while they are on the car.

Moreover try tyres rotation, random or systemic: might help. Also make sure that tyre nuts are fixed with electric torque wrenches after balancing and alignment.

Check if the offsets are as per recommendation or not.

I hope you are not using spacers on the wheels ?

sb-alto2012-03-23 15:06:06

sb-alto is right!  I totally forgot to add that you must check your rims!  Tire shops must follow factory protocol and use a calibrated torque wrench when mounting the rims.  If not the rims will warp.  Unfortunately, tire shops don't use a torque wrench.  They just tighten the crap out of the bolts. 

@sb-alto: I am not using any spacers, don't intend to use them as well.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have ordered the Hub Rings online, once I have them will mount them and do the checks mentioned.

Finally got my hands on the hub rings and fitted them. Everything is back to normal now. Feels good to finally have car back to normal without any vibrations.

Thanks a lot guys for all your suggestions.

I could if I were going over a bumpy road, It could be faulty steering dampers. This is a shock that crosses from left to right connecting to tie rod ends. A vibration or noise that only occurs when accelerating or coasting typically indicates a problem in the driveline or chassis.