Sandy

Cars to carry fe lables

Fuel-efficiency-star-rating.jpg

After years of pushing the idea back and forth, the Government of India has finally made fuel efficiency labels on cars mandatory.  Under the new norm, carmakers will have to put labels indicating the fuel efficiency of their cars. Not only this, carmakers have also been asked to improve the fuel efficiency of their products over the years.  Fuel efficiency labels will bear star ratings, as currently seen on electrical appliances such as refrigerators and air conditioners. The number of stars (maximum five) will give the buyers a broad based idea about the overall efficiency of the car they are buying. Cars with rating below one star will not be allowed to be sold in the market.

The average fuel efficiency of the products from top ten car makers in India is 16.42 kmpl. This is expected to go up to 18.15 kmpl by 2015, and to 20.79kmpl by 2020. As improving efficiency will cost carmakers money in R&D SIAM has asked the government to loosen the prescribed norms. The government, however, thinks that the targets set by it are quite liberal and can be achieved without much hassle, saying that expecting manufacturers to improve efficiency by 2.8 per cent every year is not asking for too much. The new norms will help the Indian car market match up with the global gold standard car markets such as Europe and America in due course.
Carmakers who are not able to meet the criteria will have to cough out upto Rs 10 lakh as penalties. Penalties will continue to be levied until corrective measures are taken, at the rate of Rs 10,000 per day (that would be easy, won

It was implicated previously, but FE labels were just restricted to Showroom display boards only.

But It'll be better if cars/bikes now come with Star-label as Refrigerators, AC or TV sets. smiley1.gif

i just copy & paste the photo in topic

Its only available in Microsoft Internet Explorer.

However in other browsers you need to insert the image manually by uploading it first on other Photo-sharing sites like Picassa or www.imgur.com

Its very simple & you just need to upload the pic at that site & have to paste/insert the link in the 'Insert Image' hotlink or

Paste the link in between

But please resize the pic upto max of 640x480 resolution, before posting the link.

This is a classic case of India and Indian govt decisions..

Instead of spending time,money and thoughts in trying to figure out a way to stop the oil/fuel mafia they want to do something like this..

Do anyone here really think that brands like honda,VW, FIAT, and many more who have a foot  print all over the world do special work on their engines just for india and that too to keep a check on emission/efficiency norms?

If anything they will be happy to detune the car for our conditions...

i dont know what sort of people run GOI

I would welcome this move as this is a practical move from Indian buyer's perspective who are willing to buy new vehicles even in the time when fuel prices in India are among the highest in the world.

However, I would also like to see if Govt. Of India also make a some standard on fuel quality as well based on similar lines of these standards.

Overall a good, long term move.

I'm not really sure how useful this is since we all know that the FE published is under favourable conditions. I believe people also consider performance and many other factors while making their purchase. And if a car delivers superior performance with a drop in FE of 0.75 or 1 I think people would not even consider the other car, with better FE.

@ Sandy,

What you pointed out is the need of the hour.

Improving fuel quality and managing traffic.

Since our government has not succeeded in either, they thought of coming up with some other gimmick.

Imagine for a 12 kms drive from my home to work I spend 60 to 70 mins behind the wheels. We really need to improve our driving habits and manage traffic.