Sign in to follow this  
librankur

Registration number transfer

i have an old zen which is nearing the end of its life cycle (completing 15 years) soon , i have already booked its replacement which is going to be yet another swift ( booking done in september 2011 , word on delivery still awaited) .

now here is my question, the zen thats going out has a VIP number and i would like to retain the same ,also it has a 50% NCB that i intend to use for my new purchase.

it has just done a mere 40k in the last 15 years .do let me know more in terms of registration number transfer,reregistration of my old car,costing, if any one of you have done it recently,what do the people at the transport authority want to see in a car going for re-registration.

even if you can answer few of the many questions i have put across it would be a great help . smiley19.gifsmiley19.gif

Dear librankur,

As far as I know, you CAN NOT retain the same VIP number from your old car to a new car.  Last year, there was a serious discussion on this subject at the national level meeting of RTA officers, but nothing concrete came out of it.  So, as of now, when you sell your old car, the VIP number also goes out with it to the new owner.  As it is nearing 15 years, the buyer has to get it's life extended by subjecting it to the RTA's inspection.  Generally, they will see the overall condition of the vehicle and always say a yes.  They insist on PUC certificate/sticker and valid insurance.  That's the rule.

Costing depends upon your luck and the RTA guys.  Usually, it is less than a thousand rupees, all inclusive.

Coming to your insurance. Claiming and transferring your existing insurance's NCB from your old car to the new one, you can jolly well do it.  As the insurance is taken in the name of the owner of the car, he is entitled for the NCB as well.  So, you can get the NCB transferred to your new car, provided the old insurance and the new insurance is in the same insurer's name and the new car is also bought in the same name.  Remember, that you need not have to sell the old car to get the NCB transferred to the new car.  Any informed insurance agent will do it in a jiffy.    

All the best.

@rameshbabu.n

thank you for your detailed,not many would have been able to answer in such detail but you did , i thank you once again for the reply , you surely spent some time giving out all details.

most of what you said has been confirmed by the rto office in delhi.i happen to go there today , trying to get a good number for my new scorpio automatic which would be delivered shortly,met a chap there , he said that he could arrange the zens number to be transfered to my new swift .

he said that there was an incident recently at the delhi rto where where the officials agreed to transfer the old number to a new vehicle after the guy agreed to pay a fee and that was a legal transaction.

he even went ahead and said it also came out in some newspaper,have been searching the net for any such news but to no avail.

the insurance transfer has also been confirmed , the insurance guy said that i need not sell my vehicle , just get a third party insurance for the old car and you are good to go,

was a relief of sorts coz didnt want to part ways with the zen yet

smiley4.gif

What number will the zen have then?

Will you get a new number for it?

If it is a new number for the zen, will

you pay a full 15 year life tax on that?

I think it is a local arrangement or a sort of

local decision making. Be careful.

Get all relevant information from that chap and

share with us all. Usually, such decisions are

taken at the national level and all local RTAs

get a common direction.

@rameshbabu.n

I was thinking of a number swap , New Swift number goes to old Zen and vice versa.

Anyways , i had been searching all around the web with different combination of search string , this is what i came out with , as it seems i will have to scrap the old one or sell the old one and the new buyer applies for a new number for the old car.

Transfer Old Car Number To New Car - Search in BING to get the desired document , if i post it here our Administrator is bound to get angry.smiley2.gif

Transfer Old Car Number To New Car

Do you have an old car with a wonderful registration number. You might be carrying the car because of its registration number despite the car being in not so good condition. Well here is a good news for you

@ rameshbabu.n

another article that i came across from the same search as before , this one appeared in TOI.

Now if only someone from mumbai replies to this post we can get what we want.

Now, you can use old number on new car

Somit Sen, TNN Feb 12, 2011, 05.47am IST

MUMBAI: The state transport department has decided to introduce portability of car registration numbers. Starting next week, if you buy a new car, you will be able to retain the number of your old one. But the convenience comes at a cost.

"We will charge a one-time premium from car owners for offering the choice," said state transport commissioner Dilip Jadhav. A source in the RTO, Mumbai , said the amount will be Rs 10,000.

The old number cannot be retained if the car is transferred to another state. "But within Maharashtra, you can use the number for a lifetime and keep changing car models as per your choice," Jadhav said. "We are the first in the country to provide the facility."

Vehicle owners have welcomed the news. "These days, people keep changing cars as new models hit the road every month. Some car owners feel a sentimental attachment for a particular registration number. The transport department's move will please them," said Ram Shah, a resident of the eastern suburbs.

The department expects to make a windfall from the scheme. "We will have to wait and watch how many people avail of the scheme. We expect to earn lakhs in revenue across the state," Jadhav said, adding that last year, RTOs across the state earned handsome revenue since many people, mainly businessmen and industrialists, bought vehicles like Ferrari and Range Rover.

During the Diwali season, the RTO, Mumbai, made a record collection of over Rs 60 crore, the Andheri division (of three) netting more than 50% of the amount.

Special car registration numbers, which includes digits 1 to 9, double and triple digits, can be obtained by paying anywhere between Rs 5,000 to a maximum of three lakh rupees.

another similar article

@rameshbabu.n

have spent better half of the day and still am unable to find any recent updates on the same , it looks like i will have to make another trip down to the RTO DELHI office.

Hope to catch another informed agent

@creative bala

its definately happening , how else could you expalin a swanky new 5 series  with an extremely old number , there were just four alphanumeric on the number plate.

if someone could just tell me the process to get the work done , life would be much easier