dr_nishu

My Arctic White New 2012 DZire ZDi

Finally got the ORVM back into shape & function:

The whole repairs & replacement tasks was divided into 3-different steps, depending upon the parts involved:

1) Fixing the ORVM frame:

Initially the ORVM frame was also even dislocated from its mount & minor broken parts.

Actions performed: Removed the ORVM assembly & carefully aligned & fixed the parts as the assembly was in the shape of being repaired. It was DIY job by me with Surgeon-like carefulness as it involved delicate & interlocking parts. Any forceful hand on the task would've brought different results.

2) Fitting the Inside Mirror glass:

After searching many Spare part shops, i came across a ORVM glass with its mounting disc also, which fits into the Adjustment motor hub.

Convex mirror assembly costed Rs.200 only.

3) Finally The Outer casing:

New Casing assembly costed Rs.350.

As it was unpainted & black in color, it need to be painted in body color.

Got it painted from Maruti ASC in Genuine Arctic white body color.

It costed ~Rs.400 to paint a part costing Rs.350 & 4 hours for complete procedure.

Final pic of a finished product:

post-67-0-58985400-1366190652_thumb.jpgpost-67-0-27832800-1366190766_thumb.jpg

Hey Dr Neat job!!

I am planing to replace my dzire Ldi Mirror with the Vdi ... I was guessing that changing only the outer casing and buying a indicator lamp would do the job...

However am not very sure about the same can you plz guide me what parts would be required and wht would be the cost involved

Hey Dr Neat job!!

I am planing to replace my dzire Ldi Mirror with the Vdi ... I was guessing that changing only the outer casing and buying a indicator lamp would do the job...

However am not very sure about the same can you plz guide me what parts would be required and wht would be the cost involved

Thanks goenkakushal.

In yours Dzire LDi case, it's not actually possible if possible that's not too easy, reason being:

-The ORVM in VDi/VXi & ZDi/ZXi variants are Electric in their mirror functioning, but LDi/LXi lacks whole of the system, wiring harness to power & operate those mirrors.

-LDi/LXi variant comes with side indicator repeaters placed on front fenders below the DDiS/VVT badge respectively, while in VXi/VDi & ZXi/ZDi variants the same are mounted on ORVM mirrors.

So, their wiring harness are different & i think stock wiring isn't that much long enough that it can be brought upto the ORVM mirrors to power the indicator lamps. So practically again this isn't possible, even it can be done by adding the new long wires to do the job but that's not recommended as it'll void your car's warranty.

So, IMHO the best option is to get the ORVM casing of your car's painted to get the look & feel of V & Z variant ORVMs, minus the indicator strip elements.

If you still wanna stick to change the ORVM to V-variant ones, then you've to replace the entire ORVM assembly, but that'll cost around Rs.5000 for each mirror plus additional charges of painting them into the car's body color.

Hmmm...

well i am only looking for cosmetic changes. The mirror's functionality would remain as it is(MANUAL) I was planning to only add the indicators to the mirrors, for which i thought wires could be drawn from the fender's indicator.

Yes it will void my warranty.. but do you think drawing wires from fender to the mirror is a safe option otherwise? or it may lead to some short circuit type issues/?

;-) FYI i have already done a lot to my car which voids warranty... like -- Central lock, remote locking, P windows, Rev Cam, Amplifier etc.. haha

Hmmm...

well i am only looking for cosmetic changes. The mirror's functionality would remain as it is(MANUAL) I was planning to only add the indicators to the mirrors, for which i thought wires could be drawn from the fender's indicator.

Yes it will void my warranty.. but do you think drawing wires from fender to the mirror is a safe option otherwise? or it may lead to some short circuit type issues/?

Then you've need to check the compatibility of ORVM frame with the Indicator strip i.e whether the frame is having the space & mounts for the fitment of Indicator strip by opening the casing cover of ORVM.

Secondly, its a rare case that you find an indicator strip alone from the market, if you get it then you also need to buy the new casing covers also.

Third, If you get all the needed parts, you need to fix & re-route the indicator wires via doors carefully, so that they don't get cut & short circuited.

Lastly, if you don't get the parts alone, then you can try to procure the 2nd desired parts from market.

Or else again you need to buy the new V or Z spec ORVMs.

& Then same story will begin as:

Thanks goenkakushal.

In yours Dzire LDi case, it's not actually possible if possible that's not too easy, reason being:

-The ORVM in VDi/VXi & ZDi/ZXi variants are Electric in their mirror functioning, but LDi/LXi lacks whole of the system, wiring harness to power & operate those mirrors.

-LDi/LXi variant comes with side indicator repeaters placed on front fenders below the DDiS/VVT badge respectively, while in VXi/VDi & ZXi/ZDi variants the same are mounted on ORVM mirrors.

So, their wiring harness are different & i think stock wiring isn't that much long enough that it can be brought upto the ORVM mirrors to power the indicator lamps. So practically again this isn't possible, even it can be done by adding the new long wires to do the job but that's not recommended as it'll void your car's warranty.

So, IMHO the best option is to get the ORVM casing of your car's painted to get the look & feel of V & Z variant ORVMs, minus the indicator strip elements.

If you still wanna stick to change the ORVM to V-variant ones, then you've to replace the entire ORVM assembly, but that'll cost around Rs.5000 for each mirror plus additional charges of painting them into the car's body color.

Update:

The 3rd Service(10,000kms/1 year) of my Swift DZire ZDi,

MASC supervisor asked us about the option of Engine Oil choice for 1.3 DDiS Diesel. Options were:

1) 5W-30 Mineral Oil(costing Rs.800 for total quantity).

2) 5W-30 Synthetic Oil(costing nearly Rs.3300 for total quantity)

I opted for Mineral one but after driving the car for few kms, i noticed the NVH of the car increased much as compared prior to service, as previously the car was running on factory supplied Synthetic engine oil.

On the positive side, engine have started feeling more torquey, is it due to service or this oil switchover or it's due to engine Gruff-ness !

Planning to switch over to Synthetic oil again or should i continue with the same ?

Your views ACI-ians ?

Now thats inside the engine compartment let it run for a few thousand kms and. then think about switching.

What does MS suggest as the recommended oil type for your vehicle ?

The price difference is huge , four times , equivalent to 4 such mineral oil change.

Whats the life of both fuel types ?

I think you should switch back to synthetic doc especially if it was running the same from the factory.

Now thats inside the engine compartment let it run for a few thousand kms and. then think about switching.

What does MS suggest as the recommended oil type for your vehicle ?

The price difference is huge , four times , equivalent to 4 such mineral oil change.

Whats the life of both fuel types ?

On starting or at low revs, the engine sounds a bit gruff & bit diesel like unlike before as per which it was almost or even more smooth than many Petrol engines. Yes it was Addictive.

I'm missing that refinement, considering it was my priority while buying the car. But now i'm also getting used to it.

Earlier MS suggested Synthetic engine oil only, but later on they changed the Oil grade 5W-30 & added the option of Mineral or Synthetic Oil, upon which it was being criticized for expensive oil charges. Now its upon us to Oil type.

I've tried as per MASC manager which told that it'll make not much of a difference but now i'm feeling even 'not much' also.

Life of mineral oil is 10k kms, while of Synthetic is 15-20k kms(with top-up if needed).

Lets see, how the story unfolds further.

Hey same was my dilemma , my vehicle came with Mineral Oil as it was the 1st set of new dzires manufactured. Later MAS shifted to Synthetic oil.

My oil change schedule was

1st service @1,000km OIL CHANGE RECOMMENDED

2nd Service @ 5,000Km No OIL CHANGE

3rd Service @ 10,000Km OIL CHANGE RECOMMENDED

BUT for Your vehicle Oil change would be directly @ 3rd service, However after 3rd service Oil change interval remains same for both oil type(As per my knowledge, pls confirm) every 10,000km.

I thought instead of changing synthetic oil every 10,000km costing 3 k... why not change Mineral oil every 5k? costing 1.6k only

and this will also help to keep the engine clean as it will be flushed more often.

Am I making sense?

other thought is that the synthetic oil will help to reduce wear and tear of the engine, although am not sure how much difference it makes.

whats you view?

I thought instead of changing synthetic oil every 10,000km costing 3 k... why not change Mineral oil every 5k? costing 1.6k only

and this will also help to keep the engine clean as it will be flushed more often.

Am I making sense?

other thought is that the synthetic oil will help to reduce wear and tear of the engine, although am not sure how much difference it makes.

whats you view?

Why to change it early, when the scheduled ones are 10k kms. 5k kms is nothing for Mineral oil, as Mineral oil can also last even 12k kms very easily, whereas for Synthetic engine oil it's 15k kms, normally. But advantages of Synthetic Oil are really much more in terms of improved NVH & Performance.

The answer to 'Why to change it early?' is when the service guys asks me to go for Synthetic and I say NO go for ordinary oil.. and the service guys reacts as if I am a fool asking him to do such a thing..

On the other side of my mind I feel as if I am depriving my car of something good .. :-) Hence this idea of changing oil at 5k .. Makes me feel guilt free. hahaha

Great discussion on Synth Vs Mineral.

In my view, I am still going to stick with Synth as my Ritz diesel which is 15K in 15 months, will easily justify the cost of synth as it is getting driven more frequently.

However, I see a logic in chaging mineral oil more frequently at 5k mark to keep refinement of the engine at high.

Hey dr

Just wanted to knw whts the tyre pressure ur maintaining ??

Am having a 195/60 R15 and I find the ride lil bumpy with 30 psi in front and 29 at rear.. Whts ur experience?

Generally i don't bother about this but a tyre shop near to my home takes care of it.

It usually fills almost 35 psi all around & it runs very fine with it with load as well as with driver only.

Tyre size is 185/65 R15 MRF ZVTS.

Hi dr_nishu,

Recently my silver swift dzire vdi right ovrm had broken. Mirror, led indicator, motor functioning everything is functional as normal. It is only the silver outer cover which is broken completely. Can you guide me to get that replaced.

Thanks in advance,

Clazzic302

Hi dr_nishu,

Recently my silver swift dzire vdi right ovrm had broken. Mirror, led indicator, motor functioning everything is functional as normal. It is only the silver outer cover which is broken completely. Can you guide me to get that replaced.

Thanks in advance,

Clazzic302

Check if its frame assembly is in right condition.

If yes, then you need to replace its casing only which costs differently, depending on from where do you purchase it. You can buy it from local car spare parts shop also(off course at cheaper rates than MASC) & get it painted in genuine paint from Maruti Authorized Service centre(MASC).

Or in a case where it's frame assembly is broken, dismantled or dislocated then you need to replace the entire unit & it's quite an expensive affair of around Rs.5k.

Ok.. I had given my vehicle for denting painting, I asked the guy to find out the service cost as the car has done 18k already.

He informed me it will cost 9k

:o

Is Maruti going Skoda way or it the server advisor trying to get some good incentives??

However, I checked the manual and its adviced to change engine coolant , Transmission differential oil, Clutch fluid, break fluid, Fuel filter and water draining.

I really doubt if all above is necessary.