Sign in to follow this  
PrancingHorse

Chevrolet launches new Captiva at Rs. 18.74 L Ex Delhi

Chevrolet has launched the new Captiva with a facelift and a new engine as well starting at Rs. 18.74 lakhs. However the new 2.2 litre 186.5 bhp diesel will be available on the AWD Automatic only and that comes at Rs. 24.59 lakhs Ex Showroom Delhi. I have always liked the Captiva as a car but somehow I feel this new one is a tad overpriced. Cant wait to try it out though.

What do you guys feel? Will the new Captiva work at this price?

post-6031-0-87742000-1340723543_thumb.jp

@24lakhs ex showroom cost the new 2.2 will cost more than 30 lakhs on road

mumbai which imo is too much for a chevy captiva .I don't see it selling more than fortuner AT .

Weakening rupee as well as increased customs duty has pushed up prices of all imports pretty sharply. Captiva not the only SUV ridiculously priced. Santa Fe, CR-V, X-Trail now all nudging Rs. 30 lakh on-road. GM India hasn't locaised Captive yet which explains its high price

Its not all about the Chevrolet brand but Rs.~25 lacs for a 2.2 litre Chevrolet SUV isn't really worth, considering its just a re-badged product with not so Premium quality, features & Reliability.

Rs.~25 lacs ex-showroom means ~28 lacs OTR price for a car & that calls for a really Superbrands & supercars in that price umbrella, like

-Toyota Fortuner(yes its better build & is having more Oooomph factor than Captiva).

-Renault Koleos.

-Nissan X-trail

-BMW X1 Crossover.

-New Audi Q3.

-Volvo XC40(though not exact closely priced).

Leave alone last 3, rest others are really better options than Captiva & are not expensive to maintain either as against the latter.

Not a good time for the auto industry really. But atleast the X Trail, Santa Fe and the Captiva are diesels. The CRV doesnt even have that advantage. The CRV is all but dead now.With these SUVs going 30+ lakhs, That price now can actually get you into the German club with the X1 or for that matter the new Audi Q3. Looking at the current scenario, GM should seriously consider localizing the Captiva. If that brings down the price, it will make the Captiva a good proposition.

New Audi Q3s are rolling off the showrooms for no less than Rs 39-40 lakh. Audi is only selling the top-end version, the lower version with less price was just a sort of marketing gimmick. When you go to book the low-end version, they say its out of stock! since day one :)

This pricing is a really optimistic one from chevrolet and it will be nothing more than a dud IMHO as fortuner is offered at similar territory and is a superior package

The New Chevrolet Captiva AT 4X4 boasts a 2.2L engine that outpours a hefty power of 186.5bhp at 3800rpm and a topnotch torque of 424 Nm at 2000rpm, the new motor is mated to 6-speed Automatic Transmission (AT). In order to increase rear luggage space, the 7-seater Chevrolet SUV comes with 5+2 Flexi seat arrangement.

The Ex-showroom Delhi prices of the Chevrolet Captiva variants are :-

· Captiva 2.0 MT à - INR 18,74,062/-

· Captiva 2.0 Xtreme à - INR 19,48,347/-

· Captiva 2.2 AT AWD à - INR 24,59,000/-

Why .. Why .. Why are these guys hell bent on squeezing us of our hard earned money ( for most its hard earned ) ?? At 25L ex showroom I don't see it being value for money from any angle ..... but then Indian consumers have a funny way of accepting things thrown at them :( !!

There are a few fundamental problems here:

Us feature/gadget-crazy Indians need to have the highest-spec of every car on sale - at least once you're beyond the budget segments. It's the reason you hardly see any low-spec Hyundai Vernas (despite the ~Rs 12 lakh price) - because why settle for less? Now despite that price, the Verna packs in SO much, that it's actually good value. The Captiva doesn't do that.

I also feel that people will reject the 2.0 engine for no reason other than that there is a bigger, more powerful option available. Again, Hyundai Verna - how many people actually opt for the 1.4 engines? I wouldn't think many. We want the best at all times.

The other issue is the kind of SUV it is. With the Fortuner, Paj Sport and upcoming new Endeavour all around the same price - buyers can get a more macho, more imposing, more serious SUV for the same money - so why settle for a cushy little soft-roader?

And finally, keeping that last point in mind, why did they choose to introduce it at all, when they have internationally just launched something far more appealing in other markets (which will probably cannibalise Captiva sales if/when it comes here):

2012-Chevrolet-Trailblazer-pics.jpg

There are massive discounts on the outgoing Capiva. Upto Rs. 2 lakh off! But even at this clearance sale price its not a good deal because new 2.2 Family Z engine is far better than outgoing 2-litre VM Motori developed unit

@ 325i is the new 2.0lt engine in the new captiva the new Z generation 164bhp engine or is it the older 150bhp engine ? Anyways I would bargain more and get atleast 3 lakhs off because the interior and space of the interior and most of the exterior is the same for the new and old version .

Will GM ever launch the MT with 2.2lt 4WD option ? Considering it could be priced about 1.5lakhs lower than the AT version there may be takers for it.