PrancingHorse

Spied: New Ford Fiesta hatch in New Delhi

Hitesh Kalra, a reader of Autocar India sent in this picture to us. This is the Ford Fiesta Hatch and was spotted by him at Delhi Airport. Looks much better than the sedan in my opinion. Would make a nice premium hatch if Ford would launch this in India. Even the wheels look like 17 inchers. For sure this is a better looker than the sedan.

What do you think? Would something like this sell considering the Optra SRV didnt find too many takers?

fiestaxe.jpg

Exacly as AMG1, I feel SRV was way before than its time. If GM launches it again, I am sure with a diesel, it would do good.

Looking at Fiesta hatch..I must acknowledge that the Hatch looks far better than Sedan. And looks like ford has some plans to do so.

A Fiesta Hatch with that Dual Clutch Autobox sounds just perfect. Good power, the Fiesta has always been a good handler, decent size and AT would make it an ideal car for the city as well as the highway

"Hot hatch" are the words that come to mind. Ford just needs to price this in a way that it undercuts the competition. Though there's no direct rival but somewhere lower than Ertiga & a little higher than i20 & Jazz. A price advantage might just give it a much needed boost.

Looks amazingly beautiful with its boot chopped off!! And thats the way it was supposed to be all this while.

I'm pretty sure Ford would look at a launch after the Ecosport if not along with it.

1.4 TDCi and if this gets the new 1.0 turbo petrol.. nothing like it. And maybe a sports edition with the Fiesta sedan petrol and diesel engines - I know, expecting too many power options here.. but thats what will sell..

I too agree with AMG1 that the Chevy SRV and the Ford Fusion came in to our markets way before time. Had the Fusion been launched at this time, it would have sold very decently, esp with its 1.4 diesel.

Fiesta Hatch looks great and very proportionate. Jazz is the only competition and if Ford launch this vehicle with multiple engine options than it will create it's own niche.

This looks like a special import by an individual / corporate for personal use as there is no news from Ford about launch of premium hatch based on new Fiesta. Even Ford seems very dull and lazy in promoting Fiesta Sedan aggressively.

Exacly as AMG1, I feel SRV was way before than its time. If GM launches it again, I am sure with a diesel, it would do good.

Agreed, the SRV was launched at a time when the market had little appreciation for a large, premium hatchback. The other problem, of course, was that the SRV didn't look or feel premium enough. It wasn't that great to drive, and the engine was pretty "meh" (for want of a better word).

The Fiesta saloon has already proven its chops as a high-quality, decently premium car with good features and an excellent ride/handling mix. Personally, for me, if I was in the market for such a car, I'd take it over the local favourite, the Verna, in a heartbeat.

So it coming in hatchback form - provided the price is right (please, Ford, please) - would be a monumental idea. It should ideally sit somewhere between the Swift and the Jazz to be really successful. That way it wouldn't cannibalise the Figo or the saloon. Finally, drop in the 1.5 DuraTorq and the 1.0 EcoBoost in full 120bhp guise (again, please, Ford, please) and it would literally thrash the segment into submission, all while taking advantage of sub-4-metre regulations.

Keep it around Rs 6-7 lakh, Ford, and you have a guaranteed customer already.

Great looker and a great car as well.Was always a hatchback made into a sedan for only some markets like india and china i guess.I would surely buy it if it is launched here with a powerful engine,because this chasis begs for one.

Fiesta match has definitely been under consideration and it looks like this car has come for a customer clinic. For clinics only white cars are used and often with the badges masked. However, I am not sure how Ford will be able to price this car? The Fiesta is made for Europe and implies high costs (safety, NVH standards) which are difficult to pare down. That was the problem with the Fiesta saloon.

This sure is a stunner. Only thing is that these dont come cheap and thus there is a serious demand gap making it unprofitable for manufacturers to either introduce these models or sustain them for a long run.

Watch out for the i30 , another stunner

No place for Fiesta Hatch in Market(taking New Fiesta Sedan price in mind). The market would prefer a Ertiga for that price.

If lots of cost cutting is done and priced near Swift/i20 territory with 1.1Ecosport & a Diesel, it could sell.

I feel GM must bring out the Optra SRV with Magnum engine and Ford must bring out a Fusion Classic. Both of them came to our market way early.

+1 to Fusion, but Why an SRV with Magnum engine, it will again become a sales dud.

IMHO, an SRV with 1.3MJD VGT will rock our market and can be priced below/near to Swift.

Edited by creativebala

Looks good, and given opinion from other countries, feels and runs good too. Yes, it's also better-looking than the sedan, which I felt, looked puffy and stubby. The launch will be good news.

I wouldn't really use the failed SRV and Fusion models as a yardstick, as both were hardly superior cars, and were simply not up to the mark. The SRV was weak, and people who had driven this and Fiat's Palio GTX said that the smaller Palio was a better driver's car, and was also a little more cost-effective. The Fusion was one mixed-up machine, looked like a hatch on stilts, performed like a hatch, but had the economy of a D-segment sedan or SUV- and again, a superior Fiat product, the Adventure, was available. This Fiesta hatch is a superior product, and if they can price it at a little higher than the middle variant of the Fiesta Classic, they'll have a decent, interested customer base, and even end up creating a new segment. Soon, we'll see the likes of the Clio, Megane, 207, 308, maybe the Cruze hatch and the Merc A-class.

As for the Optra/SRV, that model is likely to be phased out, and it was running too long in our country, especially with the Cruze being its replacement elsewhere. I'm not too optimistic about the Cruze hatch, as it's longer than most sedans, and will be priced as much as a D-segment sedan, although it may be a VFM alternative to the Mercedes A-Class. Likewise the Ford Focus (although the sedan seems a good idea here).

An ideal Ford India lineup would be the Figo (entry-level city hatch), Fiesta Classic (commuter sedan), Fiesta Hatch (power hatch/long hatch), Focus (premium sedan, wagon) and Fusion/Falcon (luxury sedan), the Ecosport mini-SUV and Endeavour full-SUV.

They have the car. It's now over to the pricing/economics department to make it cost-effective, yet safe and useful, and the marketing department, to prop it up as the 'complete car' for Indian households.

This looks really hot !!

It is going to be a very stylish hatch in the market, but as everybody expressed it is very critical on the pricing side that where it will stand and its success depends on this aspect for sure.

If it is very competitive on the price front then Ford has to think about its Figo pricing, otherwise it will loose its share in the market