amkhullar

Want to Buy an Automatic Diesel - Budget < 10L

Hi All,

I am looking for an diesel car (preferably a hatch) with an automatic gear shift, AT is a big preference for me since I get too tired in Delhi traffic, commuting daily to Gurgaon ( 50 km ) run.

What all options are available in the market for the same? Which one would be best to maintain and give good fuel effeciency.

Please provide ur expert opinion on the same.

Thanks

Unfortunately, no diesel AT is available for < 10 lacs.

As mentioned by Bala, Verna AT diesel is the starting point and would cross 12 lacs OTR.

Since convenience of an AT is prime factor for you so i suggest you can look at some petrol AT cars (AStar, i10, i20 or even Dzire) and use saved up money to fuel it.

May be later on you can convert it to CNG also (problem being warranty becoming void).

@amkhullar;

Hyundai is planning to launch the cheaper Automatic variant of its Verna CRDi Diesel, that's too probably in ~10-11 lakh price range.

So, stay intouch with your nearest Hyundai dealer to enquire about the same.

Else, all other Automatic Sedans Rs.<10 lakh are petrol ones, like;

-Maruti Suzuki DZire Automatic(~7 lacs OTR).

-Skoda Rapid Automatic(2 variants in 8-10 lacs range).

-New Ford Fiesta DCS Automatic(2 variants in 8.5-9.5 lacs range with Lifetime gearbox warranty).

-Honda City AT(with Paddle Shifts).

-VW Vento AT.

Hey I always thought that i20 was available in Autobox Diesel until today when I finally found otherwise!!

This is probably a segment unexplored and I think it'll either be Hyundai or Skoda to tap it first.

@amkhullar: You may want to check a Scorpio Automatic but it'll sure cost you a little over 10 lacs.

There is no diesel automatic below 10 lakhs , there was one the old Verna AT which was 9.7 lakhs on road price but now the fludic verna @ 13 lakhs . AT is untapped by diesel below 10 lakhs limit and rightly so because an AT is tough to build for a diesel for all the amount of torque it needs to handle and also to an already high price of diesel it will command a premium of over 70k atleast which brings it more than 2 lakhs above the petrol version for the same varient .

But nowadays the market is becoming mature and an AT with Swift or i20 diesel is the way to go and given the popularity of i20 P AT in South Mumbai atleast there will be many takers for this varient though the price will exceed 10 lakhs limit .

Hyundai was considering the AT version in the SX varient in the near future instead of SX (O) which will bring the price down by 80k and in the EX varient by 1.9lakhs .

Diesel AT are scarce in the market, there are Verna, Laura and I think Jetta of which only Verna costs less than 15 lakhs. Scorpio AT is very poor, nad an AT diesel hatch is not going to come to India anytime soon, since hatch is usually bought by budget conscious in India (i.e. if possible Indian tend to go for a sedan) and diesel is bought for efficiency and a diesel AT hatch ruins both these points and will cost at least 2 lakhs above the petrol manual version.

I am guessing the problem you face is start stop traffic. I would suggest you buy a diesel car like Micra or Figo, which boast of zero turbo lag or Ertiga which has very good drivability in city with low no. of passengers. Duster launching on 4th of this month will also probably share this characteristic in the 86 bhp version engine shared with Sunny.

The idea is to be able to drive with minimal no. of gear shift which these cars are capable of.

No Diesel Automatic in your range.

The Cheapest Diesel Automatic Sedan is the Verna close to 13L

The Cheapest Diesel Automatic SUV is the Scorpio close to 14L

The other way could be to buy a decent hatch/sedan and employ a driver for yourself, the money you save on the AutoBox can pay for the driver for a few years

Thank u guys for all ur opinions and suggestions. I currently own a SANTRO ( P ) ( Driver employed ) :-) + Have a Fortuner 3.0 (D) Manual.

So wanted something which could be used by me / driver / family - basically an automatic + Diesel Option to replace my 9 yrs old SANTRO.

I think I will wait for sometime more and may be have a look at cars CARS like DUSTER / FORD ECO SPORT which are due to be launched and may be buy an AUTOMATIC PETROL version.

Thanks again.

Amit

^^^

Looking at the Duster Price, If an Auto variant is launched, it should cost over 15L, which really is OOOOOOOOOverpricing.

The upcoming car that could suit you will be, Jazz Auto. If media is to be believed, Auto Brio is getting launched soon, so a Diesel Brio & an Auto Jazz should follow.

i think the best option for you would be to take a ride of i10 Automatic and then decide whether you still need a Diesel hatch or you can save huge money by taking a Petrol hatch and enjoy the confort of Auto transmission.