Sign in to follow this  
PrancingHorse

McLaren launches MP4-12C Spider

mp412cspider.jpg

McLaren has launched its second model, the 616bhp, twin-turbo V8-engined, open roofed 12C Spider.

Based on the same super stiff carbon fibre MonoCell chassis as its hardtop sibling, the McLaren MP4-12C Spider will be capable of 315kph with its retractable hard-top roof down and 328 kph with the roof up. The Spider will do the 0 to 100 kph mark in 3.1 seconds.

Deliveries for the Spider will begin in November this year and it will cost £19,500 more than the coupe. Nice to see Mclaren come out with the Spider and this will obviously be a direct rival to the Ferrari 458 open top. I personally feel this Spider looks gorgeous and more better than the coupe.

See more pictures here:

http://www.autocarin...r-photos.aspx/1

I love the 12C coupe, and as an extension of that, I really like this. But over the last year, reading the feedback, reviews and reports from various auto mags and even actual owners (on blogs), it seems McLaren has really dropped the ball on engagement and that all-important sense of occasion. Apparently it doesn't feel very engaging to drive, and it sounds like a Honda Accord (But all agree that it is virtually untouchable dynamically - at least in its class).

The problem is - convertibles. In sharp, mid-engined supercars like this, they are usually the softer, more relaxed option for people who like to show off rather than drive fast. So what happens when you take the roof off a car whose only USP so far (in the segment) is that it is better/sharper to drive. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Take the roof off a 458 or a Gallardo and they are still loud and flashy. This one hardly is.

I love it, but I doubt the rest of the world will as much.