krudes

Hyundai i20 petrol or diesel???

Hey guys, this is the first time im going to buy a car. im very much confused whether to buy a petrol or a diesel one!! i chose car manufacturer as Hyundai i20. I travel around 45kms everyday.Monthly running will be 1200 kms. Please help me guys. if you have any other car choices please let me know..

The i20 diesel CRDi is a fantastic car. Though it may not be a pocket rocket like the Getz diesel was, it is still adequately powerful. At this point I must say that the i20 diesel is priced on the higher side. Seeing your running, I feel the petrol should suffice though the petrol motor does feel underpowered. However it is fine in the city. And the i20 is loaded with features as well. Also tell us what is the kind of budget you are looking at. That way we could help you with other choices.

Out of our experiences, I would not suggest a Petrol i20 mainly because it is surely an underpowered car with 1.2 Kappa engine which also runs in i10.

Trust me my close friend bought i20 petrol & he is getting a mileage <10kmpl, he is suffering for his bad decision.

i20 Diesel is a wonderful car. I would suggest you to go for i20 Magna (O) 661,772 ex showroom price

Ex-Showroom Price for HYDERABAD

Model (Petrol) Ex showroom price (Rs)

i20 Era 481,816

i20 Magna 506,151

i20 Magna(O) 536,652

i20 Sportz 585,474

i20 Asta 632,124

i20 1.2L Asta (O) With Sunroof 677,733

i20 Sportz AT 781,048

Model (Diesel) Ex showroom price (Rs)

i20 1.4L Era 606,936

i20 1.4L Magna 631,269

i20 Magna (O) 661,772

i20 1.4L Sportz 710,595

i20 1.4 Asta 757,239

"Definately Diesel" because the new petrol engine is 2 secs slower to the previous engine to 100kmph which was already too underpowered . Given your running you will cover around 15000 kms in a years time which is definately in the diesel running category and given the price difference between the diesel and Petrol fuel you will break even by 35000kms if you buy diesel and more driving will end up in savings (also the resale of similar km run diesel is more than a petrol) .

Second reason is that the diesel engine is a monster out on the highway which the petrol can never be but in the city one has to drive around the turbo lag (which I am used to now) . Also do keep in mind that the diesel service is 1200 buck more than the petrol (expensive fuel filter catridge) .

I would suggest you to go for the Sportz CRDi which is around 8.3 on road price . Also test drive the CRDi and petrol back to back to make the decision.

Thanks for the information sanzgod and rssh!! :) But guys what about the diesel maintenance?? I've heard people telling that diesel engines start to make noises under the hood after some years :( . Is this true? What about the waiting period for diesel i20's? and one more, i've read in many website's and magazines that i20's steering and handling is not that good!! Will this issue cause any trouble while driving?? :huh:

me too suggest you the same for Hyundai i20 diesel. As with extreme good mileage you can maintain your budget. There is nothing much difficult to maintain a diesel car as many of the people do not prefer because of high maintenance cost.

Thanks Bala. But what about the diesel service cost?? Will it cost a lot?

Also just to add to creativebala's point...now days the diesel service is not at all scary in contrast to older diesel engines.

So dont worry about that aspect.

Edited by Sstar

As safety is PRIME to you , i20 surpasses all in its competition when it comes to safety , so no other models to suggest to you , you have obviously made the right decision , forget petrol and just stick to a diesel motor and you will have a blast .Present day european diesel engines are far superior, so no issues there.

Thanks geet, Sstar, Librankur. I will test drive the i20 crdi and decide it. Hey guys is it better to buy a brand new i20 diesel or go for a nice 2nd hand one?? and what is the waiting period for a new diesel i20??

The average maintainance cost of the diesel i20 is around 4.5-5k for every 10000km's . There is some waiting for i20 but not more than a month . The handling of the i20 is not a strong point and the steering is super light which is awesome in the city but dull on the highway . Go for a new Sportz varient and if you find a second hand i20 CRDi then share the price and milege here .

You could buy a new diesel car at that price point. According to me that is a bit too high.

If you are open to other options then probably you could consider Punto MJD or Polo TDi. Both are amazing products and are solidly built. Polo may lack certain features like climate control, steering mounted controls etc but once you drive it, you wont be complaining.

If there was a choice to be made with Swift, Punto and Polo, which is the best of these three in terms of safety, handling and performance?? For both petrol and diesel!! Please tel me Which of the above cars is good in petrol and which car is good in diesel also.

That really a high price for a 2010 varient even if it is an ASTA trim level try to get him down to 6.4 lakhs .Also note that if he quoted this price for the Spotz varient then just don't look at it.

Punto is overall VFM in the emotion D trim for petrol look at the Ritz (cheaper price + discounts).

Please suggest me some good cars in diesel segment. Is polo diesel a good car? Hows its performance and handling? Even though its a three cylinder engine hows the performance?

i've read in many website's and magazines that i20's steering and handling is not that good!! Will this issue cause any trouble while driving?? :huh:

Hi Krudes,

The Steering Rattling Issues, Suspension Issues & the A/C Issues have been sorted out in the new I-gen i20.

Cheers,

$@!