krudes

Buying a new car.Which good diesel hatch to purchase???

Whats your Budget - Rs 7.5 to 8.5L

Kms driven monthly -1000 kms

Bodyshell - Hatch

Max No.of Passangers - 3 most of the time

Boot space Importance - medium

Usage by - Normal; by myself

Ownership - City mainly, occasionally outskirts i.e around 500kms in total.

Safety - High. ABS, airbags important!!!

Prime requirement - Ride/ Handling/FE/Braking/Looks/AfSS/Passenger Comfort

Softcorner'd Manufacturer -Hyundai

My choice of cars:

- Hyundai i20 Sportz or Asta CRDI

-Volkswagen Polo 1.2 D Highline

-Maruti Swift ZDI

-Fiat Punto 1.3 Multijet diesel 90 HP

Undoubtedly Swift ZDi is the car of the choice.

But still you'll not get full dose of Rear passenger comfort & Interior Ambience in it.

Still its a near perfect package.

But considering the mess created at Maruti Suzuki's Manesar plant, you won't get the car anytime atleast before 8 months from now & that's too if things get normal in next fortnight.

Considering the Anticipation of new car seekers, the best option for you to go for Hyundai i20 Sportz as per your needs & priorities.

But prepare to sacrifice on Handling department.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2 D Highline completely satisfies your requirements and fits in your budget. My second opinion will be Hyundai i20 Sportz.

Take a test drive of your shortlist, buy the one which you like.

well clearly if u have i20 in your list, think no forward... Its the best diesel hatch in this segment...

I wont recommend maruti swift as it has very less features and recently it is showing up breaking issues too... Also i 20 offers huge amount of features and space... and with i20 going fluidic... ahh dats the design which no other car in premium category has :)

Hi,

your requirements :

Safety - High. ABS, airbags important!!!

Prime requirement - Ride/ Handling/FE/Braking/Looks/AfSS/Passenger Comfort

Your prime requirement says ride/handling and passenger comfort.I think VW Polo highline would completely satisfy your needs.

It is a German car and hence built is ahead of the Korean counterparts. You can feel it from the time you open the heavily built doors of Polo as compared to any other car of the same class.

Engine offers decent performance and mileage upwards of 16 Kmpl in diesel form. Ride is better than the rest and the feeling of confidence at high speeds is terrific.

Your location says Bangalore and hence you will not be troubled in getting the car serviced. ;)

after reading your budget & preferences only one name came in my mind New Skoda Fabia!

as we've disscussed on pm polo has considerable turbo lag & driviblity is also not that perfect, It's cousine appears to be more nice & turbo-lag issue is improved with what they called synchronised transmission!

Good Built, Good looks, Good Driviblity! & It'll grab you more attention, as skoda is more popular than vw in India & fabias are present in lesser no.!

Swift ZDI is the best all round Package in the country as on date.

Punto, much better than the same, but the Name FIAT pulls it back, with FIAT very aggressive now a days, I strongly recommend this too.

Polo, thumps down, for its 3potter engine.

+1 to Bala..

i20 is a complete NO provided you need good ride and handling.. The i20 scores the worst in this segment.. Well Ride - good only if you are looking to drive in the city - will absorb most bad road conditions but a softer suspension will mean that you may have a bouncy ride at times and certainly on the highways..

Its steering has very little feedback and feels completely disconnected from the road. That's scary when you drive on the highways.

The Swift, although coming with a few less features - you won't get auto folding mirrors, and 4 air bags less than the top end i20 which comes with 6 airbags, a lot of interior space and a decent boot space too - I would highly recommend this one over any other car. Being a Maruti, it'll have a low maintenance cost too... unlike VW / Skoda