Sign in to follow this  
AMG1

Honda Civic production in India to stop

Ok guys, so Honda finally decides to kill the once beloved Civic Saloon.

Personally speaking, I am still a fan of its looks and interiors. It still looks as fresh to me as it was when it was launched.

Also, tempting deals on 2007-08 Civics make me feel happy that pure Civic fans can buy a pre-owned one for as low as 4.5 lakh in some cities thanks to the ever increasing petrol price. and it makes me sad to see such a good car going for super cheap prices.

As always, ACI has got this scoop, here are more details

http://www.autocarin...g-on-civic.aspx

post-4747-0-98748700-1343928517.jpg

This is heart breaking news. The Civic has been one of the finest sedans on Indian roads and its really sad to see it it go. I didnt imagine Honda India would resort to such a step. Instead they should have pulled the plug on the CR-V instead. Prices of used Civics had already crashed in the market thanks to petrol prices and this news will push the prices down further. Good news for those looking to pick up one. Even the new ones might be going for a discount thanks to stock clearance.

Bad day for the Indian motoring scene. The Civic lasted exactly 6 years in India.

how come no one came to know about its production being stopped ,its being said its been months now ,how come industry watchers not known about this ? Would the DIESEL ENGINE crisis also hit its other petrol only vehicles ?

Really a sad move by Honda India.

Considering how many bogus cars running on Indian roads already from last so many years, i'll say Honda CIVIC still makes too mcuh sense to be on Indian roads still for upcoming many years, as India needs such refined cars.

I'll only appreciate this move, only if Honda has plans to introduce any new 2012/2013 version of this car in India, else absence of Diesel engine option can't be taken as the sole motive to phase-out this car.

how come no one came to know about its production being stopped ,its being said its been months now ,how come industry watchers not known about this ? Would the DIESEL ENGINE crisis also hit its other petrol only vehicles ?

I somehow also can not digest this news as it is a sad one. But also, how could others not able to notice this news on time? Strange.

But anyways, I am sure Honda is planning something as replacement of this successful sedan as they would not like to loose this slot empty for others in the market.

Edited by Sstar

I feel Honda must've gone to some other manufacturer for a proper 2.0-litre diesel engine to plonk in the Civic. But seems they didnt want to go that route.

As the proud owner of a 2008 Civic, I'm very concerned. I already knew I wasn't going to get much if I tried selling it, but now it's going to be even worse. And I hope parts aren't an issue either.

As prancinghorse said, I really wish they had killed off the CR-V instead - that car has a lot less going for it, and (I assume) sells in much fewer numbers.

how come no one came to know about its production being stopped ,its being said its been months now.

Production is still happening and will continue till all their remaining CKD kits run out.

As the proud owner of a 2008 Civic, I'm very concerned. I already knew I wasn't going to get much if I tried selling it, but now it's going to be even worse. And I hope parts aren't an issue either.

As prancinghorse said, I really wish they had killed off the CR-V instead - that car has a lot less going for it, and (I assume) sells in much fewer numbers.

Production is still happening and will continue till all their remaining CKD kits run out.

Not only is the CRV a dud at the moment, it is also a CBU. Thats why I say it made more sense to plug out the CRV. As far as spares go I dont see availability being a problem at all for the Civics. It has sold really well in its prime years from 2006 to around 2008. I drive a 9 year old Honda City AT Type 2. Spares are not a problem at all. Plenty in the open market

I wonder if Honda's Indian operations are really going well. Their only super seller is the City, at present, and it too has had the odd disappointing phases. Their models are rather irrelevant in India, with a preference for diesel cars in the more expensive segments, and the CRV is completely irrelevant in this market- and definitely should have been pulled out sooner than later. The Accord loses out simply because it's a petrol- and a diesel car in the segment saves a lot more money. Their after-sales service is still not up to the mark, going by consumer comments. Even their Auto Expo stall, if I am not wrong, was rather unspectacular, and resembled a showroom on any given day more than an exhibition stall. Yes, they've had trouble with supplies of parts due to the floods in Thailand, but somehow, they don't seem to be doing too well outside of City sales.

Yes, a sad news indeed.

As i seem to understand, this decision's reason seems to be supply issues.

The current Civic in India (8th Gen) has been discontinued almost worldwide.

Also, since 9th Gen Civic hasn't received too much of support elsewhere so I don't think it will be launched in India.

Having said that, if Honda doesn't come up with it's replacement in quick time (max 1 yr) then it's going to be in a more messy situation.

Get the feeling that Honda may launch another kind of vehicle in the Rs. 13-16 lakh bracket. An SUV would be an ideal replacement for the Civic to plug that vacuum.

Not only is the CRV a dud at the moment, it is also a CBU. Thats why I say it made more sense to plug out the CRV. As far as spares go I dont see availability being a problem at all for the Civics. It has sold really well in its prime years from 2006 to around 2008. I drive a 9 year old Honda City AT Type 2. Spares are not a problem at all. Plenty in the open market

You're right about the parts. I also have a 10-year-old City VTEC and I've actually had less of a problem getting parts for it than the Civic.

My knowledge on the subject is limited, but I reckon keeping a CBU model on sale is easier than a CKD model - you don't have to keep a whole assembly line alive for it. I guess if they cancelled the CR-V, they would just have to tell HQ to stop sending more units. Cancelling a CKD operation is a bigger decision, I suppose.

As for why they didn't cancel the more expensive Accord? Well, I guess that segment accounts for smaller volumes - and in that light, the Accord's modest numbers still make up a feasible share of the market. The Civic's segment sells many more numbers, and it was getting completely pounded by the competition.

Still, I think they could have waited till they perfected their new 1.6 diesel before cancelling this car. The Civic was in its first generation in India. People didn't get time to bond with it. It will now be remembered as a failed model that got cancelled. Which is very sad, given it was such a brilliant car.

Well if you can't keep up with market needs, why compete at all. Good move by Honda. Now get the diesel in the next gen civic & see your loyalists making a bee line.

It was pretty sad to hear the news that Honda was pullling the plug on one of the finest sedans to hit Indian market. When Civic was introduced, it created a whole new benchmark which others found pretty much impossible to achieve. Its styling was pretty inspirational and futuristic and the car still looked in tune with the times. It also had a very comfortable rear bench and there was a certain feel of completeness about the cabin. The fit and finish was top notch and Honda didn't compromise on the quality aspect in any way. Only the newly launched Laura TSI could actually better it in terms of performance.

But I heard that the new CIVIC launched in US spelt disaster with cheap hard plastics and didn't really provide much bang for the buck. With dismal global sales, I think it was a right decision taken by Honda by not bringing in a not so successful model. It would hit their brand image badly a would have affected sales of their other models too. Think an all new model is already under pipline as developmental work is underway. Hopefully, it would also come with the option of a diesel powertrain.

RIP CIVIC! WE WOULD WAIT TO SEE YOU SOON IN AN ALL NEW AND MUCH MORE GLAMOROUS AVATAR!

The Civic will definitely be missed. It was definitely the car that stood out in that segment. I don't know what is wrong with Honda and their India strategy.

- First the Jazz pricing disaster

- Now the Civic being pulled from the market

- Next on the cards is the Accord.

I would've much rather preferred if Honda were to discontinue the CRV!