cars4life

New Camry launch on Aug 24th. Will it work?

Toyota is all set to launch the new Camry on August 24th. Not a very good time to launch a premium petrol sedan considering what the petrol prices have done to the auto industry in recent times. The good part however about the new Camry is that it will be assembled in India unlike the previous gen models which were CBUs. Hopefully that should help it launch it at a better price.

Will Toyota succeed with the new Camry or will it just be a flop? What do you think should be a realistic price for the locally assembled Camry? Speaking of which Camry's are going for throw away prices in the used car market.

Simple. Unless it has a diesel motor, it can sell. I still cannot understand why Toyota, while launching all other cars(Prius excluded) with a diesel cannot launch the Camry with a diesel engine. Its competition are the very capable Passat and Superb that both have an amazing diesel engine.

Toyota has an excellent snob value in India and can easily undercut its European rivals by launching it with its D4-D motor with 120+ bhp and surely customers will have a look at the vehicle. Flop indeed :( . Selling ZERO cars per month is extremely poor by Camry.

Simple. Unless it has a diesel motor, it can sell. I still cannot understand why Toyota, while launching all other cars(Prius excluded) with a diesel cannot launch the Camry with a diesel engine. Its competition are the very capable Passat and Superb that both have an amazing diesel engine.

Toyota has an excellent snob value in India and can easily undercut its European rivals by launching it with its D4-D motor with 120+ bhp and surely customers will have a look at the vehicle. Flop indeed :( . Selling ZERO cars per month is extremely poor by Camry.

Good points KarthickB. In my opinion, even though the Passat, Superb and the likes have excellent diesel engines, the Camry features very high on the reliability factor compared to the European rivals. The Camry can be seen as a lower end Lexus. I wonder if the 2.5 D4D from the Innova in a different state of tune would be a good fit into the Camry for our market.

Anyways looking forward to the ACI review.

As per Autocar, the new Camry is likely to be priced around 23 lacs. At this price range a petrol vehicle will not sell much expecially as customer's have diesel options available. In 2012 Toyota has not sold a single Camry and in June and July 2012 Honda has sold 52 and 39 Accords respectively. I personally dont think Toyota is going to sell many Petrol Camrys. Can't they just fit the Innova or Fortunner engine?.

Maybe Toyota knows something about the market that we dont. Why else should they come out with only a petrol option?

It too little and too late the camry is not a hugely recognised brand appeal in India and even if they assemble nowadays in India its main opponent the Superb and Accord aren't enjoying even respectable sales in India . Its bound to be a flop model but it will mostly be picked up by the hotel and Taxi market were Toyota enjoys due to excellent reliability .

The Innova and fortuners engine are too crude and big to be fit inside the Camry's engine bay (after all its meant to be an executive saloon .)

Its a wasteful task to introduce such petrol cars for india now , Honda realised it and did a pack , we as a market are no longer suitable for such petrol oriented launches.If Toyota dont have a diesel engine why bother introducing a refreshed model.Such futile interventions cannot revive a dying product.

@RSSH: I really think they can do something similar with the Camry what they did with the Altis. Plonk a 1.4 D from the Etios into the Altis!!

See no reason why they can't tune the Innova engine for a smoother ride and transplant into the Camry.. two words.. .WILL SELL!!

They can surely tune the innova engine and put it in the camry.

Else they can add more power to the 1.4-Diesel ( You never know!) and maybe put that in the camry..

Think about Toyota's version of a 1.4 TSI (Diesel)..:) Maybe they could call it a 1.4 TD4D

Agree with neerajd and AMG1.

The 2.5 diesel from the Innova (or perhaps even the 3.0 from the Fortuner) could be plonked into the Camry - this engine bay houses a 3.5 V6 in other markets, remember. As for refinement, I think it will not require too much work on the engine, as the sound deadening and insulation on the Camry has always been pretty good. But this is merely speculation, so let's leave it for now...

More to the point, the Camry brand is dead. The Accord is petrol only, and so it should have failed over a year ago. But the brand strength keeps it going (barely). The new Sonata is petrol only, the last model had a diesel option - but the brand is not as strong as the Accord. I have yet to see a new Sonata on the road. Fluidic styling obviously isn't everything.

However, if you ignore brand power and the lack of a diesel, I think the Camry is better than the Accord - which is something I've never said before. Going by international reviews and Autocar India's first impressions, it seems to do its job of being a luxury car better than the Honda. Comfort, refinement, luxury, ride quality, equipment (not to mention, some serious wood grain) - and personally I think it looks more handsome, apart from the excessive chrome.

The three major Japanese carmakers - Honda, Toyota, Nissan - have the same problem. They have always sold most small cars (and small SUVs) in diesel-friendly markets like Europe, while their bigger saloons and SUVs have been sold mostly in petrol friendly USA and the middle east. Now that the world is changing and countries like India are buying more cars, they're stuck without adequate diesel products (see Lexus, Infiniti, Acura). They need to put serious money into diesel or they will lose out to the Europeans (and the Indians) big time. I hope Honda's 'Earth Dreams' project expands to bigger engines, and that Toyota and Nissan follow suit.

Just a few days back we saw Honda stopping their cult model "Civic" The problem with companies like Honda is the lack of Diesels.. that wont be an issue with Toyota since they have a tried and tested diesel technology. And moreover the reliability of Toyotas is legendary :) I had posted the new camry pics a few months back on my blog>> http://renjuraju.wor...-superb-beater/ where I had mentioned that its a different car but still not a path breaking car in terms of design..

I can't understand what toyota was thinking while designing this car!

Even though with diesel powerplant, this can't compete with It's rivels like Nissan Teana,Passat, Superb, Accord, Volvo S60, Merc C class, Bmw 3 series or Audi A4. all of them are ahead of this!

It can work if priced below 20 lakhs!