PrancingHorse

Long Term Review: My 2003 Honda City AT EDIT: 1.30 lakh kms

post-7692-0-72843200-1344779419.jpg

The old Honda City has always been one of India's most loved sedans. Even thought it has been out of production for quite some time now, it is still of the most sought after cars even today. I have always loved the old City and when the time came for me to replace my Zen in 2006, I settled for nothing else but a pre owned 2003 Type II old City Automatic. It was the last of the old Citys. My car even came with beige interiors. The car had done just 24,000 kms when I bought it and today the odo stands at 1.13 lakh kms. Here are some key points from my ownership so far.

My car is currently on its 3rd set of tyres. The car came with stock Bridgestone S322 tyres. I added 15 inch alloys in 2008. Currently the car is running on 195/55 R15 Yokohama S Drives.

I changed my AC compressor in 2008. Cost came to approx 15k.

My IAC valve gave way in 2011. The RPM levels would fluctuate regularly. Got that changed for 8k from Honda

The exhaust gave way in 2011 as well. Got a stock replacement from Automech Lower Parel Mumbai. Mr Vivek Bhat was very helpful. On my request had a custom made twin tail type like the old Vtec for my car.

The car was involved in a shunt in 2008. It happened when I had given my car for service to Linkway Honda. Due to the negligence of their drivers, he banged the car into an Accord. However Linkway got the car repaired at their cost. New radiator, front bumper, headlights, bonnet etc.

I gave the front suspension an overhaul in 2010. However thanks to our terrible roads I got the lower arms changed again couple of months.

Have got the fuel pump motor changed as well since it was giving problems when the heated up. The car would stall and only start again after cooling down.

There is visible rust on the doors now and pain has started cracking. I am waiting for the monsoons to get over after which I want to give the car a paint job and a makeover. Will stick to the same colour though. Apart from the above mentioned points, the car has been fantastic. The engine is still smooth and the Automatic is a boon in traffic. The car gives an FE of about 9-10 kpl with AC . On my Mumbai Pune runs the car had given 16 kpl with a light foot. I get my car serviced at Solitaire Honda Borivali Mumbai. Will be sending it for the next service soon.

About the audio my car has a Pioneer head unit and rest is a JBL set up. Components in the front, 6x9 ovals at the rear with a Bass Tube in the boot. Sufficient for me really.

Thats about it for now. Will keep updating this thread regularly.

post-7692-0-61661500-1344779416.jpg

post-7692-0-77322100-1344779341.jpg

post-7692-0-10589800-1344779345.jpg

post-7692-0-44706600-1344779350.jpg

post-7692-0-44939400-1344779353.jpg

post-7692-0-29478700-1344779357.jpg

post-7692-0-76835700-1344779384.jpg

post-7692-0-58094800-1344779408.jpg

post-7692-0-40632700-1344779414.jpg

Welldone!

I'm very glad to see such a wonderfully well-maintained Car! It looks like you have treated this beauty as your own child!

& after seeing your service records; It's for sure that you loved it very much & you must have attached to it very deeply!

I'll not suggest you to not to sell it; as you'll never do it! There is lot more remaining in this car & is capable of holding your hand for atleast 10 more years!

The only thing which may give you trouble is raising fuel prices & I think being an automatic this may be having downside on fuel efficiency!

Your love and care is visible in each of the above pics.

Good cars live longer with good caring owners.

I wish you all a very comfy and satisfying drives in your

apparantly very well maintained car which does not look like

it did 1.15 lakh kms.

I need to learn a lot from people like you.

Really well maintained... and with the service history, its quite evident that you want this car to perform well no matter what age.

FE with the rising fuel prices is the only downside.. otherwise this car looks like a million bucks even after crossing a 100k kms.

I was in fact looking for this very model - manual transmission though.. but was not able to get a good one. Actually, the ones which are good are never sold :) And now, for me to get this model, its going to be too difficult to find a low mileage one for a good price.

Great pics here..

It is beautifully maintained. It is a refreshing change to see someone taking such good care of a car. Without looking at the odo, it would be impossible to tell that the car has done over 1.1L kms. Nice one PH!

Nice pics of your car. Even though its been some time since I saw it, It never looked like a 8 yo car back then and you've maintained it beautifully!

Now even i've purchased a pre-owned Honda so will be pinging you for tips on maintaining honda's without punching a permanent hole in my pocket :)

The car has now touched 1,20,000 kms and I will be sending her for the major service due soon. But today I got new tyres for the car Yokohama S Drives 195/55R15. Car really rides well now.

More updates after the service

post-7692-0-02764000-1366462440_thumb.jp

I envy you for this car. I was hunting for a similar car for months just to buy a Swift later.

1.2L Kms is very young for this Reliability Horse.

IIRC, there will be a cute Storage cum Hand rest near gear shift, why didn't post it?

@PrancingHorse: Nicely, maintained.

My father use to have a 2008 City Automatice which was a previous model then yours, it was a office given car and we liked it a lot due to ample space it provides. Just 6 month back the office decided to sale it and they sold it for 60K which had 1.48 L KM on it.

And this car is still running well with its new buys.

Surprisingly, I was unaware otherwise I would have bought it :(

Is 2008 a typo? Mine is a 2003. It possibly cant be older than mine

Should be a Typo.

Good looking City came to an end in 2003, then till 2005, it was a Sharp nosed Honda city, then came somewhat good looking Honda City which sold till 2008-9 when ANHC made a blasting entry.

So getting a good looking OHC Type II is out of question.

Is 2008 a typo? Mine is a 2003. It possibly cant be older than mine

no it is not. I meant the city which I was talking was the first model...which office bought in 2008, it had blurred tail lamps.

I think yours had cristal clear look rear lamps?

Edited by Sstar

Everything was going well until SStar came along and shared his inputs .

This is getting confusing ,

@sstar -which office buys a 10 year old vehicle for its employees ,the mention of the year 2008 is really confusing for a car that is as per your description.

@prancinghorse - did the very first model of City come with an AT option.

someone clear my doubts.

Ok you are talking about the 1998-99 models, the Type 1

Oh yes...sorry it is my fault. I had 1998 in my mind but dont know how i wrote 2008. :) Yes it was a 1998 model, had same golden colour as yours.

Everything was going well until SStar came along and shared his inputs .

This is getting confusing ,

@sstar -which office buys a 10 year old vehicle for its employees ,the mention of the year 2008 is really confusing for a car that is as per your description.

@prancinghorse - did the very first model of City come with an AT option.

someone clear my doubts.

I don't know why are you getting confused. I did not say any office bought it...I said my father's office sold it to some outside for a 60k INR. It was a 1998 model and Yes it was an AT and was bought brand new in 1998.

Hope now all clouds will be gone. :)

Edited by Sstar

Sent the car yesterday to get my 4 doors repaired from corrosion and painted. Thought it might be a good idea to get this done before the monsoon. Right now its just the doors but I may get the bumpers resprayed as well. Work should take around 10 days approx

Will do the 1.20 lakh km service once the car is back.