Hi, I am planning to buy a new Diesel D-Segment Sedan...

Well the choices are many like -

• Hyundai Neo Fluidic Elantra
  • Chevrolet Cruze
  • Toyota Corolla Altis
  • Skoda Laura
  • Volkswagen Jetta
  • Renault Fluence

But out of these I shortlisted the following:

• Hyundai Elantra 1.6L CRDI SX (M/T) 14.85 lakhs
  • Chevrolet Cruze 2.0L VCDI LTZ (M/T) 14.77 lakhs
  • Toyota Corolla Altis 1.4L D-4D 15.3 lakhs *ex showroom Delhi

Now there were initially only the first two cars which i like but seeing the brand reliability of toyota, i considered Altis... VW and Skoda are too expensive and featureless and Fluence too is price and styling is too french which i dont like...

From the above three which car should i go for?

Main criteria: Fuel Efficiency, Features, Space & Comfort...

Chevrolet cruze because of the sunroof has a headroom issue for which seats need to be lowered as its not comfy else... Elantra appeals by its style, features and tremendous space inside while altis is too old and dull...

Also Elantra pampers me with ventilated seats, bluetooth & hell lots of features along with safety... Cruze offers less than elantra but one good feature i.e sunroof which creates headroom problem and altis looks too plain...

Also i am wondering that many say cruze fuel efficiency is quite low around 10-12 in city...

Which one should i go for?

The diesel variant of Corolla is a bit under-powered. Elantra is supposed to be the feature rich one just like recent hyundai and it is no doubt a good one. Fluence diesel has less features than petrol and service is just ok.

Skoda is no doubt bad in service, so in place VW jetta seems more reasonable among the two. Cruze got the facelift but not the most spacious of the lot.

From your list I would have picked the Jetta and the Elantra.

Is sunroof your preference? Not the best feature to have in a car. Creates more issues than it solves. :D

Thnx sb-alto, No sunroof is not a preference. I was just comparing features... Jetta for me costs above 18L(ex-showroom) so i am basically confused b/w elantra and cruze... Cruze is the best seller till now and Elantra is just launched. I also very much like elantra but just that no such standard review is there where i can decide b/w elantra and cruze. Should i go for elantra?

I would suggest you to pick between the Cruze and the Elantra. The Cruze has just got a new engine and is much better than before. And the Elantra is the newest kid on the block. For the price it commands, its loaded to the brim and Hyundai's after sales service will definitely give you peace of mind. The Hyundai will also give you better resale over the Chevy.

Check out the Autocar review as well. Happy shopping.

There are web rumours of the all new COROLLA 2013 , it looks stunning ,so avoid the current corolla

Cruze is dated and so is the Laura , both tried and tested.

Fluence no one buys

Jetta the best of the lot but is pricey

Elantra , too soon to comment.

Hi, I am planning to buy a new Diesel D-Segment Sedan...

Well the choices are many like -

• Hyundai Neo Fluidic Elantra
  • Chevrolet Cruze
  • Toyota Corolla Altis
  • Skoda Laura
  • Volkswagen Jetta
  • Renault Fluence

But out of these I shortlisted the following:

• Hyundai Elantra 1.6L CRDI SX (M/T) 14.85 lakhs
  • Chevrolet Cruze 2.0L VCDI LTZ (M/T) 14.77 lakhs
  • Toyota Corolla Altis 1.4L D-4D 15.3 lakhs *ex showroom Delhi

Now there were initially only the first two cars which i like but seeing the brand reliability of toyota, i considered Altis... VW and Skoda are too expensive and featureless and Fluence too is price and styling is too french which i dont like...

From the above three which car should i go for?

Chevrolet cruze because of the sunroof has a headroom issue for which seats need to be lowered as its not comfy else... Elantra appeals by its style, features and tremendous space inside while altis is too old and dull...

Also Elantra pampers me with ventilated seats, bluetooth & hell lots of features along with safety... Cruze offers less than elantra but one good feature i.e sunroof which creates headroom problem and altis looks too plain...

Also i am wondering that many say cruze fuel efficiency is quite low around 10-12 in city...

Which one should i go for?

It's clear your choice should be Elantra

If we consider your criterias

then I wonder How you Shortlisted Cruise! It's the most terrible & crammper than a Ford Fiesta or Hyundai Verna!

Your next choise Toyota Corolla Altis is too-outdated!

After that you've chosen Elentra, which may be a stunner, but hyundai lacks of experience in dealing with big cars; so engine refinement is still a question! & why to by a 15 lakh worth car, when 90% of the people will say, "Ohh! ye to Verna hai na, 10 lakh wali!"

According to me Twins from VW are the best in the market; as:

1. They do give you a richer feel than Hyundai or Toyota!
  2. If you are going to drive it, Skoda Laura RS is an exellent choise!
  3. If you are the one who is going to enjoy the backseat, VW jetta will cocoon you with help of It's 8 airbags!
  4. VW jetta scores higher in terms of relieblity, Safety & Fuel Economy!
  5. Skoda Laura scores more in terms of performance & Machoness!
  6. Both of this machines are well equiped & will repaid your every single penny!

So, rethink on your choises!

Agree with PrancingHorse on the elantra, but I feel that the front seat of cruze is a bit cramped and the headroom is on the lower side. I like the jetta for its comfortable and sober design and space. VW quality is good too. But the price factor is the only negative force about Jetta.

But somehow I feel that the elantra looks almost similar to Verna.

thanx PrancingHorse - i feel that elantra will be as successful as verna because of its looks, feature list and price... Vw jetta is 3-3.5 L costly which givers beyter build but less on features...

@librankur- thnx... Do u think toyota is going to launch it soon? Also engine will remain a disappoibtment i guess :(. Also tough its early to comment totally in favour of elantra but engine is very well tested on verna and is very much fuel efficient than any other car here...

@azyASTL- thanx... vw jetta and skoda laura are good machines but i personally dont like laura as its not what satisfies my needs... I dont need a car that is good to drive and dull on other respect... For jetta spending 3.5 lakhs more is also creating a question in my mind... Also aurocar on vw jetta review told that jetta too looks like vento... And that's more significant when compared to verna and elantra... Verna is angry, ready for action kind while elantra is happy and very well garnished with chrome... Jetta is also well garnished but too much vento-ish again...

@sb-alto- yes, cruze is a bit cramped specially on headroom... but still a segment leader that what makes me think about it... Elantra has no issues yet but still its a new kid on board so cant blindly for it...But autocar reviews of elantra is quite promising and i am waiting for someone to bring out a perfect comparison b/w these cars... :)

@Karanjeet

out of the list, currently Elantra is your best bet.

it' packed with features and has the same tested 1.6L diesel engine which Verna has (though this might also work against Elantra).

I would avoid going with Skoda or VW. Though DSG gearboxes are excellent but somehow i have heard cases of their failures being reported.

It is as simple is this: if you want feature rich car with good looks and save 3.5 L, ok with less power, go for Elantra. But if you want power packed car with contemporary look, with tank like buit quality, go wtih Jetta. Though, jetta is bit costly, it is really a great driving machine and has comfortable cabin. The pleasure of driving jetta can not be compared with any other car. If you will search the autocar website, they have comparo of all five cars, except Elantra, as it was not launched that time. And the winner was Jetta. But as now Elantra has been launched, I feel that there is tie between Elantra and Jetta. All the best.

@sachins - Thanx... Does jetta have Diesel Auto variant?

@nikvint - Thnx... And yes, i too feel Elantra=Jetta - Driving Pleasure - Superior Build + Extra Features + VFM :)

@ksgulyani: I think for the main criteria that you have given above, I would say pick Elantra for following reasons: -

1. Hyundai Service Network is second to MSIL ONLY.
  2. Lot of features - some of them even class apart.
  3. High safety measure - includes curtain Airbags etc.
  4. Space is good - both front and rear.
  5. Fresh design, distinct looks, out of the crowd feeling.

Has anyone tried using the compare feature on any other site? I don't know if Autocar has one, but Drive-Inside has a feature, and I compared the top-end MT trims of these cars, and the results are quite interesting.

The Corolla Altis falls back on every feature, and can be safely left out. The Cruze has power and is driver-oriented, but lacks a lot more .All arrows point to the Elantra, notably because of its service and value for money, but the Fluence isn't too bad either- if you can get it right with the Renault service network, and the car may not be preferred by the general public. But if the budget can be stretched, nothing like the Jetta.

And of course, nothing like a test drive and getting the feel of the car itself.

thanx PrancingHorse - i feel that elantra will be as successful as verna because of its looks, feature list and price... Vw jetta is 3-3.5 L costly which givers beyter build but less on features...

@azyASTL- thanx... vw jetta and skoda laura are good machines but i personally dont like laura as its not what satisfies my needs... I dont need a car that is good to drive and dull on other respect... For jetta spending 3.5 lakhs more is also creating a question in my mind... Also aurocar on vw jetta review told that jetta too looks like vento... And that's more significant when compared to verna and elantra... Verna is angry, ready for action kind while elantra is happy and very well garnished with chrome... Jetta is also well garnished but too much vento-ish again...

Dude, Have you checked out, 'New Jetta' which is in showrooms now; It's far diffrent than Vento!volkswagen-vento.jpgNew-VW-Jetta-India.jpg

@Arjun_M - thnx... Elantra is easy on pocket both on initial payment and maintainance than Jetta... Jetta is far too expensive thats why i shortlisted Elantra,Cruze and Altis... :)

@CarCrazyASTL - "At first glance, you may think this is the VW Vento, but upon closer inspection you will realise that it is the all-new Volkswagen Jetta. For a car that’s making a fresh start, to be likened to its cheaper sibling can’t be a good thing."

---from AUTOCAR review http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/269357,2011-vw-jetta-review-test-drive.aspx

I think the hyundai's look more different than vw's front... I might be my perception and vary according to many...

hyundai-elantra-100712-950-03-jpg_034618.jpg

hyundai-fluidic-verna-exterior-front.jpg

@Arjun_M - thnx... Elantra is easy on pocket both on initial payment and maintainance than Jetta... Jetta is far too expensive thats why i shortlisted Elantra,Cruze and Altis... :)

@CarCrazyASTL - "At first glance, you may think this is the VW Vento, but upon closer inspection you will realise that it is the all-new Volkswagen Jetta. For a car that’s making a fresh start, to be likened to its cheaper sibling can’t be a good thing."

---from AUTOCAR review http://www.autocarin...test-drive.aspx

I think the hyundai's look more different than vw's front... I might be my perception and vary according to many...

hyundai-elantra-100712-950-03-jpg_034618.jpg

hyundai-fluidic-verna-exterior-front.jpg