cars4life

The Mahindra Quanto. Will it succeed? EDIT: Now launched starting at 5.82 lakhs

The soon to be launched Quanto from Mahindra has created quite a huge buzz right from the time the first test mules appeared to the more recent undisguised photos. Mahindra is looking at opening up a whole new segment with this launch. There has been a lot of speculation on the price and if at all it is a true 7 seater.

Coming back to the point. Do you think the Quanto will be a success? Will it prove to be a good alternative to premium hatches?

Lets hear your opinion guys

If its true that Quanto is sub-4 meter car, its gonna have a pretty cramped cabin if its 7-seater. And since its gonna use same engine as Xylo I expect it to be more powerful and more responsive. Its success depends on pricing.

Since Quanto is gonna have cramped cabin, I wouldn't buy as its more suited for taxi market than luxurious family mover.

Why dont Mahindra market another variant it as a spacious 5-seater hatch with tempting equipment at competitive price. Its would stand a chance of success then with private buyers

The Quanto is a seven seater for sure. Lets see how underpowered it is, I am sure it'll be underpowered.

If Mahindra launches it with a proper xylo m-eagle engine too, just as a high-priced option, that would be a sort of HOT-MPV!

The pictures show that the rear seats will end up being child seats at best, keeping in line with the side view/curvature of the rear, which would end up affecting head room.

The vehicle will sell, because the pricing will be good, considering this will be a sub 4m vehicle. On a personal note, I'm not a fan of the styling at all, but then again, I'd never really liked the original Xylo to begin with.

I guess. We should keep PRICE out of scope here.

Because if they price it well around 5.5 it will be a sure hit, however the package may be.

Thus keeping pricing apart i have following thoughts:

1. Seating Capacity:

Option of being 7 seater is provided keeping in mind taxi market itself. Which may affect the space availability at 2nd row. But if they are having a 4/5 seater version with 2nd row having sliding seats it will be an attractive option for family buyers as well. If both version are there then its going to be sure hit.

2. Engine:

Looking at specification sheet, engine looks a gem. The power availabilty will be very commendable and performace will be lively. 1.5 ltr engine is having a long run ahead of it considering its a diesel, it falls in the norms of small car and has good power. In worst case, even if Quonto fails Mahindra will win by having this engine.

3. Looks:

In my opinion, design of Xylo is below average. Atleast front facia of new Xylo should have benn carried over her, which sadly is not. Side profile looks out of proportion and rear finished well though. On looks front, it is a average car which is not so appealing but will not make anyone run away atleast. :)

4. Handling:

Being an old school Body on Ladder Frame type structure, it is not expected to behave like a hatch on road. It is surely gonna be pitch and yaw very high compared to any hatch out there. :P But it will have advantage of being able to absorb road bumps very well than hatch. So it depends on preferences of customer. Anyways no human is not going to throw Quonto in corners like Shumi. So i think body roll thing will not bother much.

5.Verdict:

If we neglect price, it has many thing which ticks the right boxes for an average car buyer. So i think it will sell well and will prove to be vital car for M&M. Remember Mahindra has gained a new engine, thanks to this car.

In my opinion, design of Xylo is below average. Atleast front facia of new Xylo should have benn carried over her, which sadly is not. Side profile looks out of proportion and rear finished well though. On looks front, it is a average car which is not so appealing but will not make anyone run away atleast. :)

I believe the front overhang of the new Xylo is much more than the original Xylo, which with the already tight dimensions of the Quanto, would have pushed it beyond the 4m barrier. Then again, I could be wrong and Mahindra could just be holding back that front for a mid-life refresh.

IMO it will be a 100 % Success

Any practical diesel offering VFM will do good (irrespective of looks). Best example is the Duster & its success.

But the Quanto not exactly a SUV but more like a Hatchback on steroids is ideal for Indian Roads , So yes it will succeed.

As a 5 seater - it will give the tall boys in this country a very very big scare.

Success depends on pricing first ( should not be an issue ), diesel engine is an added bonus - it's the Mahindra A.S.S and quality that will determine how successful the Quanto is.

As a 7 seater - it should be a hit in the bare bones avatar with the taxi segment.

Quanto will be a good substitute for Bolero.

Quonto is right product for people who want a Mahindra vehicle , a soft roader but not Bolero.

Instead of developing a hatch from scratch M&M opted to widen it's UV range with QUONTO.

This shows how focused M&M is to make it's mark in UV / SUV / MPV segment instead of trying it's luck in all the segments as TATA is doing.

Quonto will be a sure hit.

As expected it has been launched with a 1.5L Twinturbo Diesel engine good for 100bhp and 240nm transmitted through a 5 speed gearbox. That's sufficient power for most conditions. It has 7 seats (though I'm not sure how good) and is well equipped. It's priced between 6 & 8 lacs. It's sure to be yet another winner from Mahindra. The Premier Rio is as good as dead.

Neglect C2 as it is purely a Cabbie's vehicle.

C4 will cost you around 6.7-6.8 on raod.

Which does not have the highlighted features

Fully loaded C8 will set us back by 8+ lakhs

So its a worth alternative for sedans or MPV.

But not an alternativ for hatchbacks.

Gadgetary provided is commendable but just updaed Xylo's front would have made Xylo more appealing.

But overall a good proposition.

Mahindra has launched its seven-seater Quanto mini-SUV in four trims – C2, C4, C6 and C8 - with a starting price of Rs 5.82 lakh, going up to Rs 7.36 lakh for the top-spec C8 variant.

The mini-SUV is powered by a modified version of the mHawk diesel engine called mCR100. This 1493cc unit puts out 98.6bhp and 24.4kgm of torque mated to a five-speed gearbox. Mahindra has said that another more powerful 4-cylinder engine variant is on the cards, which could be offered with 4x4. The Quanto uses the same ladder-frame construction as the Xylo.

The top-of-the-line C8 variant gets alloy wheels, power windows, a sleek Digital Drive Assist System (DDAS), driver seat height adjust, body coloured bumpers, electric wing mirrors and an integrated audio system with CD, MP3 and radio. It also gets a rear defogger, ABS, front airbags (driver and passenger), fog lamps and a reverse parking sensor. The C6 trim is also similarly specced, only losing out on alloy wheels, the reverse parking sensor and airbags. Mahindra’s Micro Hybrid technology will be available on all variants except for the bottom-spec C2 trim.

Mahindra has launched the Quanto across 200 dealerships in India. The company has made overall investments of less than Rs 100 crore in developing the Quanto. Mahindra will have a flexible production capacity of 7000 units per month between the Xylo and Quanto. Mahindra is offering the Quanto with a 2 years/50,000km warranty as standard.

Mahindra has said that the Quanto could possibly be exported to markets like Europe, South Africa and Chile with the possibility of going to other markets as the product matures.

Prices:

Quanto C2: Rs 5.82 lakh

Quanto C4: Rs 6.35 lakh

Quanto C6: Rs 6.86 lakh

Quanto C8: Rs 7.36 lakh

(ex-showroom, Thane)

So Mahindra carries on the pricing tradition from the XUV500. Thats killer pricing to begin with. I already see people dashing to Mahindra showrooms to put down their money for this one. Sure it isnt the best looking out there infact is ugly but then a car doesnt have to look good to sell here. The diesel engine seems adequate for our conditions and even though the seats in the last row look just for kids, knowing our country, full grown people will find a way in there. The entry level C2 and even the C4 are sure to be picked up by tourist operators.

Another winner from Mahindra for sure. Now to wait for the Ford Ecosport to come in and hot things up.

As expected, very competitive pricing again from Mahindra.

So people will have another alternative now when considering mini Suv/Muv, Ertiga being the other, though both in different leagues.

Frankly speaking those last row jump seats are of very limited use.

Even in my Safari, for long journey's, i fold those jump seats and use the space for luggage or even put some cushioning and an adult can easily sleep in there, though not a good idea from safety point of view.

Spare wheel mounted on tail gate makes it heavy to open/shut but it does provide a bit of safety too.

Minor rear ends, touch will not hit the car body.

Please watch the video.

Leave all the technology crap apppart and look the video at 2.22 min, when he talks about average fuel efficiency. On DDAS (Digital Driver Assist System) display is show average fuel efficency to be 13.5kmpl !! Shocking.

Aggressive pricing by Mahindra. Sure to be a hit in the commercial market especially because even the entry level C2 is said to come with an air con and power steering. I still cant digest the looks though and somehow the wheel wells are quite big and dont look proportionate. Looks like another winner from the Mahindra stable

^^^

Guys, do you really feel the pricing is good?

IMHO, the price is HIGHER. Spec to spec, its just 1.5L cheaper than Ertiga, which is a proper 7 seater with proper looks, proper handling and proper engine.

I am 100% sure, XAlpha will be a BIG HIT. Duster overpriced, Quanto overpriced, Ecosport( will be costlier).

^^^

Guys, do you really feel the pricing is good?

IMHO, the price is HIGHER. Spec to spec, its just 1.5L cheaper than Ertiga, which is a proper 7 seater with proper looks, proper handling and proper engine.

I am 100% sure, XAlpha will be a BIG HIT. Duster overpriced, Quanto overpriced, Ecosport( will be costlier).

@Bala, i agree with you somewhat.

Ertiga is clearly a better put together product than Quanto, Duster. Though again all 3 of them are targeting different buyers.

From price point of view, i still think Quanto is competitively priced. It's bang into sedan/premium hatch territory.

Just consider that for a price of a Dzire Zdi, one can get a fully loaded Quanto.

And knowing people's mindset, bigger/spacious = better, so people will take a liking to it.

No wonder then when Mr.Pawan Goenka quoted that "Mahindra can be called the Maruti of the UV/SUV segment".

On another note, it's ironical that fully grown Xylo is considered a MUV and it's smaller version a mini SUV.

Considering that M&M is pitching Quanto as a very good option to the prospective

diesel sedan buyers, the price is OK if you factor the advantages of M&M's reliable

service track record. And, they are the real SUV-MUV-Company who knows what

they are doing and they are really good at it.

My only concern is about the engine. Will it be good enough if the car is fully loaded ?

Being a Xylo-look-alike, buyers expect similar power even in this car. They will feel it

underpowered. M&M had to get this 1.5 engine so as to get the tax benefits.

Let us see the reaction of buyers.

Given a choice, I do not wish to have such a 1.5 engine in a big vehicle like this.

(big - when compared to a standard hatch or a standard sedan).

I wish I am proved wrong and my doubts are misplaced.

The SANDERO may not be a 7 seater but surely is a proper 5 seater.

Where as the Quanto isnt a proper 7 seater nor a spacious 5 seater (as the middle row is cramped)