PrancingHorse

Mercedes launches B Class B180 at Rs 21.49 lakhs Ex Delhi. Right pricing? Will it work?

post-7692-0-46461700-1347953179.jpg

After huge hype including showcasing the car at showrooms and at the Buddh International Circuit, Mercedes has finally launched the cheapest Mercedes in their range in India. The B Class. It is the first Merc to be based on a new front wheel drive platform (MFA). The B will be sold as the B180 in petrol only and will be available in two variants:

B180 : Rs 21.49 lakhs

B180 Sport: Rs 24.87 lakhs

(All prices Ex Showroom Delhi)

The Sport in addition gets 17 inch alloys, chrome slats on the grille, twin pipe exhausts, sporty pedals, sporty leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel and bi-Xenon lamps.

The B Class' direct competitors will be the BMW X1 and the Q3. The advantage the latter two have is that they come with diesel motors while the B come with only a petrol. Do you think this kind of a car will succeed in the market? What do you think about it pricing?

Will the B Class change fortunes for Mercedes to make up lost ground to BMW and Audi? Lets hear from you

My personal opinion is that this car may be lapped up by existing merc owners.

These guys have lots of money and often pay only for the brand. At such a

pricing, all the features are anyway guaranteed. And, first time buyers and

regular car buyers would not even consider this as an option, at these prices

for a hatchback. That too, in petrol in these diesel-days ! Moreover, as they

have few dealers across India, only a limited/small group potential customers

is targeted as of now. Will they sell in double digits ? I doubt. Let us see.

I feel it is priced slightly higher, my expectation was around Rs 21 lakh on road for base car. Mercedes has confirmed there wont be an business edition or a stripped down variant of the B-Class in future. Currently, the only (Partially-direct) competitor of this is the X1 which is slightly lower priced (comparing the petrol variant).

Surprisingly no sport suspension for the B180 Sport.

I think its optimistic pricing from Merc. It is a tad over expectations. I dont know how many takers this would find but being only a petrol, I see this selling primarily as a 2nd car in a household which already has an E or an S Class. The B180 base should have come at 21 lakhs on road atleast.

very high priced and possibily could be a flop show for Merc. As reason:

1. First time luxury buyer would love to own a sedan or a muscular premium SUV in a price over 20L
  2. Lots of options below this price tag are better VFM

The B class is exclusive 1000 unit for India, only for who have passion and desire to have merc. Not value for money, there are plenty of option for high end sedans or one of the most important one is Volvo better value for money ...

Totally agree with some of the comments here. This car will be bought only by people who want the Mercedes name. Otherwise It really doesn't seem appealing at all. It might sell a little at the start but with no diesel option available, it's sure to fizzle out and disappear. Flop!!! OK, I'll be a little kind. I'll call it an "also ran".