Sign in to follow this  
PrancingHorse

Volkswagen reveals Taigun compact SUV concept at Sao Paulo

post-7692-0-82302500-1350966469.jpg

Volkswagen has decided to joined the compact SUV bandwagon as it revealed a concept at the Sao Paolo Motor Show. Called the Taigun, the compact four-seater previews the look set to be adopted on a planned new Mini Countryman and Nissan Juke rival to be positioned and priced below the Tiguan when launched towards the middle of the decade.

post-7692-0-88224600-1350966472.jpg

The Taigun is based around a stretched version of the VW Up’s NSF (New Small Family) platform. At 3859mm in length, 1728mm in width and 1570mm in height, the Taigun is 566mm shorter, 82mm narrower and 130mm lower than the Tiguan. The concept is not four-wheel drive, as the NSF platform currently only supports front-wheel drive.Power for the concept comes from the same 1.0-litre turbocharged three-cylinder petrol engine with 108bhp and 129lb ft as the upcoming Up GT. Drive is channeled through a six-speed manual gearbox.The 985kg Taigun can crack 0-100kph in 9.2sec and reach a top speed of 187kph.

VW plans to sell the Taigun in each of their global markets. That means the Taigun will come to India as well. This could well go up against the Mahindra Xylo and the Ford Ecosport out here.

I think it should be priced ideally between 7 to 9 lakhs

post-7692-0-94429600-1350966475.jpgpost-7692-0-35241900-1350966466.jpg

Have my doubts if this model will make it to India as plans for the Up! have been shelved. If there is no Up! there will be no Taigun. VW needs to lower its cost structure to be viable in this country

Quite a hansome SUV this. Looks like compact SUVs are the flavour of the season. Even if this made its way to India I doubt VW would be able to keep prices under 10 lakh. That way the Eco Boost would trump it. I agree with 325i . Unless VW lower costs its going to be pretty difficult for them. Ditto for service.

Looks good in my opinion. Looks like they got the rear door handles to look like the Chevy Beat's, integrated into the pillar. But looking at the Taigun, it doesnt seem feasible for India atleast not now. VW needs to get issues sorted with their existing line up for now only then can they think about further launches. But this is still a concept and i wonder how similar the production version will look to this.

Have my doubts if this model will make it to India as plans for the Up! have been shelved. If there is no Up! there will be no Taigun. VW needs to lower its cost structure to be viable in this country

Considering that the UP is being tested around, i had no idea that plans for it were shelved. I think this would be a better car to launch than the UP provided they get the pricing right which i doubt they will. VW costs are not very pocket friendly and the Japanese and Koreans beat them to that.

At the price point mentioned Id buy this car if its exactly same as the concept, even if they get it 90 % similar id still buy it & use it as a lifestyle vehicle. (Especially love the rims)

Note : Ford did well with the Ecosport i.e. from concept to production model.

This design is really refreshing to see, somewhat far from the traprezoidal grills that almost all new big/small suvs have these days

Those flower / petal shaped alloys are also lovely to see, though is will say i have seen them before somewhere.

If they arent bringing the UP why are they testing it and if you say it will be modified heavily for india before introduction then why test this version of the vehicle at all.If its not being brought into India what is it doing in India.

Hoping they are not planning to use india as a manufacturing hub only and not launch the vehicle in India

I agree there is a sizeable compact SUV market in India. However the following questions ponder me a lot?

1. Will it be for primarily urban crowd or rural or both?

2. If it's meant for urban crowd, what value proposition would compact SUVs offer over premium hatchbacks(specially i20, Figo) and entry level sedans(City, Verna)?

3. What additional features you expect in compact SUVs vis-a-vis similarly priced premium hatchbacks or entry level sedans?

Can some one help me here?