PrancingHorse

Exclusive First Drive: Honda Amaze sedan

post-7692-0-52378800-1353658142.jpg

Here is a first driving impression by Autocar India of Honda's much awaited, Brio-based sedan, the Amaze. This surely will shaken up few things in the market for sure.

It is a sub-four metre saloon, much like the Maruti Dzire that Honda benchmarked extensively when engineering this car. What's also important is the engine under the hood of this car. It is Honda's first diesel engine in India and though Honda hasn't revealed the 1.5-litre i-DTEC motor's power or fuel efficiency figures, expect around 80bhp and about 24kpl. The engine is a scaled down version of the 1.6-litre diesel that Honda sells in Europe, so this four-cylinder unit has a twin-cam, 16-valve head.

post-7692-0-42208700-1353658169.jpg

post-7692-0-56075100-1353658187.jpg

Driving it around the Motegi test track in Japan, the engine impresses with its refinement. Even better though is its responsiveness. It pulls well from as low as 1000rpm and there's a gentle surge at 1500rpm when the turbo comes on full song. This engine does its best work below 3000rpm which is fine -- it promises to be easy to drive in the city traffic. Also cementing its city friendliness are the gearshift and clutch action both of which are smooth and light.Driving on Motegi's smooth surface, it's quite impossible to judge the ride, but the steering does have more weight than the Brio's and this is a good thing.

The other important bit about the Amaze is it's extended wheelbase. In keeping with its saloon credentials, the Amaze's wheelbase is 60mm longer than the Brio's. It also gets longer rear doors that make accessing the rear seats slightly easier. Once inside, you'll find a seat that is nicely cushioned and with a lot more legroom thanks to the longer wheelbase. It is incredibly spacious and a lot more so than the Maruti Dzire. Some may find the seat back a tad too reclined though. The center tunnel is also very low so travelling three up in the rear shouldn't be a problem.

Up front, you'll find a dashboard that's identical to the Brio's and the front seats are the same as well. In cabin storage spaces include two cupholders and bottle holders in the doorpads. While Honda didn't reveal boot volume, it is clear that the Amaze's boot is bigger than the Dzire's.

Speaking of which, the boot is well integrated into the Brio's design. Honda had released teaser images of the Amaze before its official press unveiling and what became instantly clear is that this would be a proper three box saloon. It’s got a defined boot section and doesn’t have that truncated rear end of the Maruti Dzire. Honda has tried to add some flair to the design with a smart rising belt line on the rear door that culminates in the interesting, City-like wraparound tail lamps and even the bumper gets its share of creases.

Other ways to distinguish the Amaze from the Brio is the double chrome slats on the front grille and the front bumper is different as well. Apart from this, there have been no expensive sheetmetal changes which is good -- it will help Honda price the car well.

The Amaze is no doubt an impressive car, one that, even on this quick drive, clearly shows how it sets the new benchmark in this class. Honda's back in the race and how!

Long coming for Honda...& looks promising. This one should look better than Dzire which is almost an ugly duckling.

In the meantime Honda should try & spruce up the infrastructure in order to meet the un-expected demand that might come its way!

23 NOV 2012 is the date of launch in Thailand.

Another 4 days to go before we can get the `real' pictures and the `true' specifications.

It looks as if the entire market is waiting eagerly for this `first diesel car by Honda'. The

situation is similar to the one we saw (and lived thru the experience) when Nano was

launched.

I wish them all success with Amaze.

If not for anything else, I am looking forward to some car company to come up with

something which can dent Suzuki's unabashed looting. Even after cutting the ugly boot

to get the excise benefit, the Suzuki guys did not pass on the benefit to the Indian car

buyers. That's totally not acceptable to me. Such unfriendly marketing/pricing issues

have made Suzuki a big loser in all the other world markets; India is the only place

where they are making profits. Why ? Becuase of such looting. I wish this stops at

the earliest with the arrival of Amaze.

But why does the boot look so boxy. It's still a bit similar to the Dzire, and just slightly better looking.

Anyway, high time Honda got this car out to market. Priced right, small car economy + sedan looks + Honda badge can be a runaway success.

If not for anything else, I am looking forward to some car company to come up with

something which can dent Suzuki's unabashed looting. Even after cutting the ugly boot

to get the excise benefit, the Suzuki guys did not pass on the benefit to the Indian car

buyers. That's totally not acceptable to me. Such unfriendly marketing/pricing issues

have made Suzuki a big loser in all the other world markets; India is the only place

where they are making profits. Why ? Becuase of such looting. I wish this stops at

the earliest with the arrival of Amaze.

Really man! & their dealers are looting further by selling the cars in black & stupid Indian Consumer is paying as much as 20-30k extra for it!

I guess this one would be the most sensible Honda to own till now. No doubt that the City is already the flagship car for Honda here but I believe this one will be the most sought out car from now on. It can really give tough time to both the petrol and diesel hatches but the prices need to be competitive. Only worry is its own jazz. If prices are similar to jazz and if the jazz also gets a diesel upgrade then it might just be suicidal.

They must do something to distinguish its utility from Jazz

Honda has been coming up with exciting gasoline engines till date. The change over to diesel shall be a great threat for entry-level cars like Toyota Etios, Maruti Dzire, Mahindra Verito,Hyundai i20,Fiat Punto and Tata sedans.

I expect Honda to make a sensible model which could outrun in this segment.

Another problem that Honda could face is marketing of its popular model the City.Pricing of Amaze decides fortune of other cars and it's too.

Hope this could be another user friendly car that Honda has kept for us!

Diesel is the demand of the day and Honda should be prepared for this beauty in India. Honda is also known for their refined and durable engines in the market.

I personally didnt like the new refreshed swift dzire. The boot was ugly and overall it looked weird. Brio is a cute car and Indians would be looking for extra features in the sedan version like Defogger(which was not present in the Brio) and Automatic Climate Control etc.. Lets see how Honda keeps up with so many competitors out there

Here is a first driving impression by Autocar India of Honda's much awaited, Brio-based sedan, the Amaze. This surely will shaken up few things in the market for sure.

It is a sub-four metre saloon, much like the Maruti Dzire that Honda benchmarked extensively when engineering this car. What's also important is the engine under the hood of this car. It is Honda's first diesel engine in India and though Honda hasn't revealed the 1.5-litre i-DTEC motor's power or fuel efficiency figures, expect around 80bhp and about 24kpl. The engine is a scaled down version of the 1.6-litre diesel that Honda sells in Europe, so this four-cylinder unit has a twin-cam, 16-valve head.

Driving it around the Motegi test track in Japan, the engine impresses with its refinement. Even better though is its responsiveness. It pulls well from as low as 1000rpm and there's a gentle surge at 1500rpm when the turbo comes on full song. This engine does its best work below 3000rpm which is fine -- it promises to be easy to drive in the city traffic. Also cementing its city friendliness are the gearshift and clutch action both of which are smooth and light.Driving on Motegi's smooth surface, it's quite impossible to judge the ride, but the steering does have more weight than the Brio's and this is a good thing.

The other important bit about the Amaze is it's extended wheelbase. In keeping with its saloon credentials, the Amaze's wheelbase is 60mm longer than the Brio's. It also gets longer rear doors that make accessing the rear seats slightly easier. Once inside, you'll find a seat that is nicely cushioned and with a lot more legroom thanks to the longer wheelbase. It is incredibly spacious and a lot more so than the Maruti Dzire. Some may find the seat back a tad too reclined though. The center tunnel is also very low so travelling three up in the rear shouldn't be a problem.

Up front, you'll find a dashboard that's identical to the Brio's and the front seats are the same as well. In cabin storage spaces include two cupholders and bottle holders in the doorpads. While Honda didn't reveal boot volume, it is clear that the Amaze's boot is bigger than the Dzire's.

Speaking of which, the boot is well integrated into the Brio's design. Honda had released teaser images of the Amaze before its official press unveiling and what became instantly clear is that this would be a proper three box saloon. It’s got a defined boot section and doesn’t have that truncated rear end of the Maruti Dzire. Honda has tried to add some flair to the design with a smart rising belt line on the rear door that culminates in the interesting, City-like wraparound tail lamps and even the bumper gets its share of creases.

Other ways to distinguish the Amaze from the Brio is the double chrome slats on the front grille and the front bumper is different as well. Apart from this, there have been no expensive sheetmetal changes which is good -- it will help Honda price the car well.

The Amaze is no doubt an impressive car, one that, even on this quick drive, clearly shows how it sets the new benchmark in this class. Honda's back in the race and how!

The Amaze is really a nice-n-hot cake from the Honda especially for the Indian people. Honda must deal carefully with the price tag, which when on not well balanced can go awry. Hope that Honda has learnt a lesson from Jazz. But Amaze will be really a cause of concern for Dzire . Let's wait for the launch and the price tag which always play a major role in decision of Indian buyers.

This particular baby Honda is sure to amaze and lure Indian market which is heavily tilted in favour of oil burners.....

It its high time Honda should get a diesel powered car in its portfolio in india that too...asap

With this diesel motor which has turned up after such a long development iteration process...it is sure to deliver the best of both world....excellent refinement with typical Honda free revving nature and pep...it will definitely be worth the waiting....

Honda please get the pricing spot on and spruce up the interiors which will have a lea utilitarian feel as on the current brio and and you have a definite winner on your hands...

Amazing amaze...

Honda needs to get this car in India ASAP to revive their flagging sales - an automatic variant will be great too!

I didn't quite like the looks though, reminds me a bit of my recently sold Indigo CS especially the front and rear proportions. If honda manage to give as much space inside the car as the Indigo CS had then this could be a hit product - priced right.

This is surely going to be a dent in Dzire's sale chart which is burning ever since it was launched. Finally, we will have a good option in this segment.

Amaze has advantage of spacious interiors over Dzire too.

just saw the vedio rewiew of amaze & was highly disappointed!

If we are calling dezire as ugly duckling, then what should we called to amaze? It's side profile lines & front bumpers looks awful! & I don't have words for that rear-mounted boot! I'm not sure about performance, VFM or comfort; but this is going to be worst looking car in this segment!

Finally.. Honda AMAZE sedan reaches Indian dealerships.

Initial dealer dispatches consist primarily of the petrol variant which Rajesh has caught on camera. As we'd predicted, the new top-of-the-line VX trim level is now confirmed.

post-67-0-98849500-1362773501_thumb.jpgpost-67-0-00534500-1362773523_thumb.jpgpost-67-0-01811600-1362773540_thumb.jpg

The Indian car's front grille wears lots of chrome, while the bumper is fully painted in the body shade. Also different from the Brio is the alloy wheel design. The wing mirrors now get integrated blinkers. The India-spec car appears to stand taller. While this will lead to better ground clearance, the higher stance does look a bit awkward.

(Source: BHPian Swiftnfurious' friend Rajesh Rao. www.teambhp.com)

Why do we need ugly looking sedan... when there is beautiful hatch ..... Amaze look good from front however, back look obnoxious , ugly-bugly.. Yes some time we need a car for long journey with family so need us boot to put our luggage. Point is there is good difference of price between Hatch and four meter Sedan ...why not save money by buying a Hatch and rest of the money can use, to rent a car when going for long journey with family or friends...Hatch is better car in city traffic and parking congestion....

Please give me one good argument objectively why I buy the Amaze not Brio... Least bother for show business...

Honda's making way for Amaze big time! First the Civic, then Jazz and now lower variants of the City. Seems they will price Jazz aggressively too! Launch should be nearby as the vehicles have reached showrooms as seen here.