Ajit car crazy

From which Sedan to which SUV

hi, I am eager to buy a luxury saloon in next few months. my budget is 55-60 lacs. I have shortlisted BMW 530d, Audi A6 3.0 TDI and Mercedes E350 cdi. Recent Autocar reviews said that 5 series has the worst back seat. I think there is where am hesitating. I test drove all the vehicles I named. I found the rear seat of 5 is most supportive, most rich and most well padded. Ya, its true that front seats are too close to your face and the high window-line doesn't help the matter either. But I really love that car while I looked out for best driving experiences. This machine will be mainly used by me(for hardcore driving) and my dad(for relaxed rear seat driving). So, am completely confused here. This buying decision will be entirely mine. I don't want the E as it is the least powerful in the respective segment and comes with least gadgets. Audi is a good package and I also I like the interior but the rear seat really disappoints me. They severely lack underthigh support and my dad doesn't like it as a rear seat user. We already have a couple of beemers like 3er' and X1. So, the dealer is very friendly with us. So I want to know if I would be wrong to choose the 530d. I can also wait few months. So, can you please confirm when the facelifted E will land in India? that can change my views on E. also please tell me if the E350 cdi will be there or not and what will be the engine power output for that. Shall we get the 265 ps engine in India?

In above listed cars 5 series is most exotic looking one, while e class is a very nice chauffer driven ride! Audi A6 is midpoint of both, so you can go for it, or try Volvo S80 & S60, both of them are in your budget, are spoty enough to compete with BMW, are as luxurious as Merc & much feature-rich than competition & are capable to save your life (& mostly avoid) worst accidents than any other car on planet! I'm not sure, but Jaguar XF is also in your budget & is damn sexy vehicle with best combination of Luxury & Sportiness! So try the Volvos & Jag also!

Edited by CarCrazyASTL

thanks u guys to help me. Well, I can't buy a Volvo as my nearest dealer is in Hyderabad and I live in a small town of West Bengal from where even accessing the BMW, Benz and Audi dealer is hard. Well, I have ridden the xf, but its the car to enjoy from front only. ya that is priced steeply, but the problem is very mediocre rear seat positioning and legroom. Also despite having the most powerful engine in its segment it is actually slowest of the lot to the tonn and the slow 6-speed 'box doesn't let u enjoy the creamy powerband as u want. So, Jaguar isn't the best choice for me. I also see many 5 on the road today as bimmer sells 520d at a very competitive price but common Indians will not set it apart from an exotically engineered 530d. So, am also eager to have the Havanna paint on my car if I buy BMW again as that colour I think is a bit rare.

Pls note my specific points and help me out

if it most definitely has to be a saloon car go for the E350 CDI in its current form,as there is no news about the newer one.

if i may, i would like you to think about the Q7 , once you sit in that you may just forget about your above list. Seriously, think about it.

No one will miss you in that for sure and the 11-12 lakhs that you spend extra on the 530 will not go waste if people still confuse it with the 520 - 525

i would have gone for the Q7 anyday.

you already have a few BMWs why add another one from the same stable ?

if it has to be another BMW why not an X5

- a friendly suggestion with a few personal preferences.

@librankur, thnx 4 your suggestions..well, I mentioned my budget is not more than 60 lacs this time..so I think Q7 and X5 are out of my budget as I saw they want me to pay at least 70 lacs or more even to have the base model and there are way more too many gadgets in d standard 530d. Also it is much faster too than those big soft roaders. You told me 2 go for the Benz. Well, google it, you will find that Mercedestis to bring its facelifted E in next Detroit auto show, and it's going to have heavily revised upgradations too. So, I asked when it should come to India as my respective dealer has no idea about it.

Pls tell me friends your personal experiences with F10s. I think am in love with this BMW brand. I like owning it.tso, pls keep me helping. You guys can easily that am too much lean to BMW

You are a complete BMW Fan :D

When i said no news , i meant no news for india introduction because thats what you were asking.

I then put myself in your shoes with 60L in hand and a few parked BMWs (read trade-in contenders) and the current offers on Audi Q series and thus suggested Q7

You really like that BMW Dealer , is he advising you on the 530 purchase ?

why should the dealer stop me to buy a 530d? They are always saying like "sirji, ap serf confirm kijiee, baki hum dekhte hain kitna jaldi aapko 530d milta hai" as they also agree that 530d sells a lot lower than other 5s. Ya, I saw that Audi has started producing the Q7 in India and the on-road price in Kolkata is around Rs. 67.25 lacs with no extra adding. That makes for a good value but performance and value wise there are other good suv in the market including the new Merc. ML. Also, I don't think my dad will go too steadily to let me buy a suv at that price as somehow he never likes the idea of riding a suv.

I don't know why people are saying not to get a bimmer once more(funny thing is am known as BMW guy in my region, they all know my bimmer panic)!!!!! Am really fixed here. Again am requesting guys who has experience with F10, please share it here. Does it really fail to get to get to the customer satisfaction point? Does it really make for a less than happy journey in the rear seat?????

oh, thanks for the help..but no1 is sharing their ownership experience with a f10..even yesterday i got to see a f10 and w212 side by side and it was f10 that got my most votes as always in most aspects...it is becoming very hard for me to make the right decision..pls I humbly request all the members to help me out with their personal views and experiences with f10..

Regards...

Thanks in advance

If your looking at the SUVs, then you should also check Range Rover Evoque! It will please you & your father both! As it looks great, is extremely comfy & rides well too! & in small village it's ground clearence & off-road capeblities will be extremelly helpfull!

@carcrazyASTL...thanks for your suggestion...well, mainly I also want to stay away from suv now as I want my next car to be truely fast indeed, as my current bimmers are truely fast and few tweaks in my 320d Exclusive brought all the changes to surpass even a new audi A6 2.0 and a 520d..and I think evoque will be slower than them..so, although it looks cool, it wont be a hot sprinter anyday...and ya, thats a worthy point to think on its ground clearance on my bad roads..but then the price point comes as my budget is 60 lacs and I think Evoque is way more than that..also the low ground clearance of f10 keep me thinking but here am totally confused...

Conclusions so far-

1. BMW doesnt make sense for me now as I already have a couple of them

2. Merc. is getting older now, is least powerful, is in a queue to get facelift, is the 1 currently in the segment that comes with least gadgets.

3. Audi A6...well, a good pack, but the lack of underthigh support takes the vote away for someone else..

4. Any suv in that price is hard to find, although Q7 and ML are cheaper now, bt they as usual will not get me the best of gadgets in the car..(am a car freak, and I like playing with in car amenties)

5. Jaguar xf isn't a practical one..it has the best engine in the segment in terms of power, but the slow gearbox acts really slow to give u a real oomph...also, the rear seats aren't any better than my current 3..actually 3 feels even better as Jag lacks thigh support too!!

Totally confused..what should I do now?

guys, my previous post was about choosing the luxury saloon and some of you advised me to think for suv as I got really puzzled to choose the right car given my budget is around Rs. 60 lacs. I also told that my dad is against suv. But I thought a lot on it and started convincing my dad by saying that more sedans in our garage will posses problems surely. Also, there is no Benz so far in my town. I can't go too bravely with my budget, so wish to keep it checked near to 60 lacs. I could have easiky got the likes of X3 30d or Q5 V6..but they are smaller actually and as my priorities include a spacious car that will be comfortable to ride in back too with enough thigh support and perfectly countered seats, they may not be fulfulling it properly. I also need a good value. So, I thought for new Merc. ML 350 Bluetech. It gives me a good deal and also it is not so common like a 5er' now a days..also, it will take me to a wide variety of roads, and never forget the endless gadgets available as standard and I think it is just a scale above 60 lacs. Q7 is slower, dynamically lagging behind and gives less value too.

So, how does it justify to think on getting the M class now? Although it is a 5 seater and my dad may argue on that too, but I'll try my best to convince. Pls help me guys. Also pls inform me if there is any new upgradations to be done shortly in near future with any suv in the respective segment.

Is ML350 a worthy choice?

How is it to own?? Any personal experience..? Pls share it here

The ML is worth its price, now that the price is down a little thanks to its being assembled in India. What you are getting now is a version that has very recently upgraded and therefore you do not have to worry about upgrades happening after you buy the ML class SUV. Go ahead and buy it.

thanks for the help. Currently am in a state to look upon my financial files to be sure once again if I can really manage a more premium in my garage. Also I have to convince my dad for this. He still doesn't know that here my plan is growing up for a SUV!!! Also I request all guys to confirm me the ownership experience of a Benz SUV, I heard some reliability issues with it. In some recent reviews I also found the headlamps are not perfectly powerful for a car of this class and price. is it true?? Also there are some issues with the break pedal feel of the big Benz. Please tell me about these. Also, as I know that now the ML is sold in India as ckd only, can i have the AMG Sport body kit with it? And lastly, how is the rear seat comfort of this new ML? Is there any chance to get rear seat entertainment system and ventilated seats in India? will they attract any extra cost?

As you are attracted towards three pointed star, Merc M class is indeed a great vehicle & has massive crowd pulling capacity too! & all above accessories are also avalaible! (ofcourse as an paid options!)

But, When It comes to SUVs; "Land Rover" The name is enough & let it be a freelander 2 or range rover evoque both are better in terms of off-road capablity & driving pleasure! & some camparitively cheap options like Mitsubishi Montero are also awsome!

So, consider this options as well!

thanks again to you guys. But at 1st I have to remember my budget is not so much more than 60 lacs. It was 50 previously, so I increased it and further I can go a lil more only, remember only a lil. As far I know X5 is more than 70 even in its base trim with no extra loadings. So, no chance for that. Q7 is also close to 70 lacs and also things like RSE, BOSE, Panorama sunroof and some more, it'll attract more notes. Also Q7 has rather firm ride according to most reviewers and actually is the slowest one in its own segment unless one goes crazy with a diesel v8. I can't buy Land Rover as the FL is no where near as luxorious as others am considering and only pure bad roads will be the worst I'll ever take suv on. So, not so eager for a Rover now as it doesn't give me that value and performance I want.

But no one told me about any upgradations to any model in recent days. One more thing, the ML is spacious no doubt. But is the 2nd row seat comfort better than a standard q7 or x5? I saw some saying the rear bench of X5 is flat and low, i rode x6 once but never tested x5.

The ML is the cheapest, fastest, cleanest, richest in gadgets and best value too.

I don't need any hardcore offroading tools. I only need the suv to go over roads where my bimmer can't go but a Scorpio can.

Pls keep helping.

Also, any ML owner is there in the forum to help me out on the relaibility font?