Sign in to follow this  
neerajd

Trip to Matheran

Hey guys,

I'm planning to drive down to Matheran during a weekend in December.

Its going to be a 120 odd kms drive and I'll be hitting the expressway after a very long time. Quite excited actually.

I did have a few questions here and would appreciate if you could address them.

The last point where you can take your vehicles is Dasturi Naka. Quite an open park and you're expected to park your car midst trees. I've also read on a website that monkeys often tend to damage your car (scratching, denting the roof, going away with the mirrors etc.) This has made me quite skeptical to take my car up to Dasturi.

• Is it safe to park your car at Dasturi?
  • Has anyone experienced any of what I mentioned here?

Thats about the drive and safety.

• Now, I also see that there are as many number of points to visit on Matheran as Mahabaleshwar.
  • How many of these are "really" worth visiting?
  • Activities that one may suggest for a winter visit?

I will be staying at Matheran for a couple of nights. Looking to spend some good leisure time there.

All responses/suggestions appreciated [:)]

Regarding the DRIVE & SAFETY;

The drive is a pleasurable one especially the Ghat section after Neral is fantastic, Note it is equally risky, so do honk on blind curves ( because of the regular ferrying cab's over confident driving style )

The safety of parking at Dasturi point is fairly safe picking up the right spot is the key ( if possible carry your car cover )

Thanks for your reply F30.

Its a late update, but I did take my car up to the Dasturi parking lot.

As you mentioned, I also carried a car cover with me. But a few guides and locals advised me not to put on a cover.

Reason - the monkeys are all the more attracted and tend to tear off the cover to find what is underneath. Well, I did not put on a cover when they said that.. but neither did I see any other car with a cover.. So all was fine when I came back.. a lot of dust and leaves on the car but otherwise intact ;)

Stayed at Regal Hotel which is just at the end of the bazar. A superb place to stay indeed. Had extended my booking to 3 nites. Had booked a Duplex room which was just amazing! In all, a very leisurely holiday.. enjoyed to the core

As you mentioned, I also carried a car cover with me. But a few guides and locals advised me not to put on a cover.

Reason - the monkeys are all the more attracted and tend to tear off the cover to find what is underneath.

Interesting point !