ppcarlove

Petrol | Automatic | 10-12L

Hello Everyone,

We are looking to buy a new car and what better place than this forum to ask the expert. I will provide all the details required to arrive at a decision.

Currently we are driving 10Y old Maruti Baleno done 74000 KM with it and still Love it. It is bit old and so we want to add a new car to the aging Baleno.

First of all, our usage is not more than 3-4km per day on weekday (yes, believe me, both our office and kid's school are just in 1km radius from home) and say 30km on weekend and once a month trip of 150-200km that makes an average 400km monthly.

This makes us go for Petrol and Automatic. We have test driven Vento MT & AT and City V AT and we really want to go for Automatic.

We have a budget of 10-12L. So shortlisted Vento Highline AT and Honda City V AT (Open for suggestion). We are inclined towards Vento because of good handling and safety features. Only thing negative for Vento is poor pre&after sales service.

Please help me out of this confusion. I have spent many days researching and still the question remains.

Thanks in advance.

Though the Vento is well engineered and the build quality is great, I would suggest the Honda. Japanese have bullet proof reliability and are also cheaper to live with over the log run. There are a lot of horror stories about Volkswagen everywhere so there quite a bit to be desired as far as A.S.S goes from them. I would have asked you to consider the Vento if you looked for diesel but if its a petrol, Honda it is. It will also be more fuel efficient as well

I suggest do consider the Verna A/T too , it will be a VFM not so much of problem with the After Sales like the VW/Skoda brands

Also if you are looking at a "Spacious" petrol A/T well look no further than the Nissan Sunny A/T & if you want the same in a " prettier nose & boot " you can wait for the Renault Scala Petrol A/T which will launch in a couple of months from now.

Regarding the CITY no doubt it still is the benchmark when it comes to petrol sedan < 10L but hey , there will be a " All new City" coming by early 2014 as the current gen Honda City is close to the end of its lifecycle.

Personally speaking , Your usage does not warrant the need of an automatic,i am surprised how did your other vehicle clock these many kms with the kind of usage you described.Where is the need of an automatic in your daily drive also once in a while you would like the punchy drive of a stick shift than the sedate automatic.

anyways , if you still want to burn a hole in your pocket go for the Automatic City a cheaper alternative could be the Automatic Ford Fiesta , only drawback would be that it deprives you of any bragging rights that come automatically on owning a Honda.Also stay away from Vento AT and Verna AT , no point of talking of a diesel automatic here.

A friendly suggestion think over it.

If you like Vento AT than definitely go for it. As far as A.S.S is concerned every manufacturer has its share of bad stories. Don't let your decision prejudiced with others' bad experience and heresay.

City AT and Fiesta AT are other good options. Vento has 6 speed transmission with manual override through triptronic whereas City has 5 speed with padel shifters. Though Fiesta has dual clutch tech., but agains it lacks the interior quality(no premiumness for car of this segment) and rear looks ackward.

Skoda Rapid is another choice which has all the good of Vento at a lesser price. Both Vento/ Rapid looks premium inside out with tough built quality and excellent fit and finish something no other brand offers in India.

As most of the time, you will be driving in city, it's good to have a Automatic, as it reduces your efforts & strain to great extent! & when it comes to automatic below 20 lakhs, the best deal is Ford Fiesta Automatic! as it's the only one with 6 speed dual cluth transmission, it changes gear almost seemlessly! & Ford is so confident about it's quality, that they are giving 10 years warrenty on it! Plus it's totally maintainance free & being dual-cluth transmission, it'll deliver you avrage figures similar to manual one! & it's creep function is boon in traffic jams! Only problem with it, is it's rear head-room, but this can be ignored in your case, as yor driving is very less & you have school going kids! & In terms of Safety, Performane or features it's miles ahead than competition!

Heres hoping you saw the recent shootout by Autocar on Petrol Automatics , Honda City AT and Ford Fiesta AT , the best in the space,were pitted against each others , both these cars have been suggested to you , in the end of Autocars shootout its was the Ford Fiesta that came out victorious in many areas.

Hope this helps you come through onto a decision.

An automatic in 11 -12 lakhs bracket automatically means the Ford Fiesta because it is really advanced DSG gearbox is excellent and the FE figures are 99% matching to that of the manual counterpart . Also since the Fiesta is slow selling sedan you can bargain even harder for great price .