bluesapphire

BMW 320d or AUDI Q3

Hi guys,

Hope you remember me, am back here after long time.

Guys now i am looking to buy an entry level premium luxury car & am confused between the Q3 & the BMW 3series. I know that both are in different segments altogether, one is a SUV while the other is a sporty sedan. We have test driven both & thus are in dilemma as to which one to buy.

My requirement are as follows:

-Budget is 35-40lacs.

-We a a family of 3 so 5seater is enough.

-This car will be driven both in city as well as on highways few times in a year.

-The monthly running would be around 800-1000Kms.

-Currently i have VW Jetta & i just love the way it handles & its stability on highway, also its easy nature for city driving & tank like build quality except for its diesel noise.

-So the new car should have all these characteristics, i.e Spirited driving, great handling, good ride & stability, should have great features. I guess both the cars are loaded with features but still it would be helpful if i can get to know which cars have what extra features.

-Both are Germans so quality wont be an issue.

-I would also like to know regarding ease of ownership from the respective owners of these brands.

-We all know that the new 3 is the best sedan in its segment but why we also considered the Q3 because its an SUV, we have 2sedans & a Spark, so we thought that we should have an SUV too for its sheer presence & anywhere go capability but it should not be at the cost of Driving dynamics.

For Q3 what i felt was its steering was light & thus am confused whether it will be excellent to drive or not. Also there was bit less legroom compared to 3 but thats again manageable.

Also the Q3 has more road presence just like any Audi not only because its an SUV while 3series looks sober, thats also the main concern for favouring Q3 in my family.

So guys please help me out in the decision.

F30 3'er is more driver oriented with an increased rear seat space more comfortable ride quality a larger dimension exterior making it look almost like a 5'er ( from rear & rear 3/4 angle) overall a very balanced sports sedan.

Where as the Q3 though it is marketed as an "SUV" but it isint one, it is more like a Hatch " on steeroids "

If you want a proper SUV with a commanding presence in the premium brands (as you say that your family is more inclined towards an SUV) at that price do consider these;

1) Volvo XC 60 ( D3) - 35.25L

2) 2012 LR Freelander 2 - 37L

^ Above are ex-showroom prices

F30 3'er is more driver oriented with an increased rear seat space more comfortable ride quality a larger dimension exterior making it look almost like a 5'er ( from rear & rear 3/4 angle) overall a very balanced sports sedan.

Where as the Q3 though it is marketed as an "SUV" but it isint one, it is more like a Hatch " on steeroids "

If you want a proper SUV with a commanding presence in the premium brands (as you say that your family is more inclined towards an SUV) at that price do consider these;

1) Volvo XC 60 ( D3) - 35.25L

2) 2012 LR Freelander 2 - 37L

^ Above are ex-showroom prices

I completely agreeing with F30! & IMHO SUV will please you more than 3 series or anyother sedan in this category, as you already have 2 similar machines in your garage! & above suggested vehicles offers you SUV at it's best & in addition also check Mitsubishi Montero! All of this 3 machines are great & are always better than Q3!

Hey BS, welcome back after such a long time. I second opinions of other for SUV. Reasons:

1. You already have 2 sedans.

2. Jetta is an ultimate car having excellent performance, ride and handling, F.E. and driving pleasure. By buying F-30, you will not get anything extra-ordinary except brand and better ICE.

3. Being young, if I am not wrong you are in your 20s, SUV suits more than a sedan.

So, from all other SUV in your budget, my pick is FL-2 for sure. It is much better and proportionate SUV than Q3. As said by F30, Q3 is just like a bigger Hatch. while FL is proper SUV.

So just give a thought on the line and update us.

Bhavin

Thanks for comments.

Well yes, after owning many sedans we feel that we should experience the ownership of a SUV as well but the thing is will get the same driving pleasure in a SUV like sedans, i have driven my Jetta to the max almost everywhere even where it should not go being a big car, only because of its driving dynamics, so now am addicted & cant compromise on that.

Will the Q3, XC60 or FL2 give me that amount of pleasure if not better.

Even i was considering the XC60 but due to lack of dealer presence in my city, i could not move ahead.

Please suggest.

Get the 3-series. It's much more car for your money. It's good quality, rides and handles well, is well loaded with kit, fantastic engines and BMW has a pretty good service network.

The Q3 is great, but at the end of the day, it's an entry-level car. The only reason it's so expensive is because it's not yet assembled here (you could wait till assembly starts and save a lot of money). It's nothing special to drive (especially compared to the 3-series), the seats aren't as spacious, and it doesn't feel as solid either. An if it's just the SUV presence you're after, it's worth noting that its profile is more "large hatchback on stilts" than full-on SUV.

I would have recommended the XC60 too, but since there is no after-sales presence in your area, I understand you want to give it a miss.

If you can get a Freelander 2 in your budget, take that hands down. I don't know if you will get it in your budged though - at least not with the full equipment list. However, they are bound to launch the facelifted version within the next six months, so you might get a good deal on the current model.

@BS: As you said above about your preference for an SUV but not at cost of driving dynamics. I would say it has to be between Q3/FL-2.

Though Q3 is the smallest Audit Q series SUV but I dont take it in the "streched Hatchback" category either. If that would be the case the Merc B class is all that. However, Q3 is not (just in my opinion at least).

Also, the kind of road presence that you are looking for is definitely going to come from an SUV.

Btw...do you have any reasons for not looking up to X1?

Welcome bs.

Remember your & your Green spark avatar pic. :)

Regarding your query,

I like both of these cars. Both are so close competitiors & shortlisting either of them is highly a confusing task.

But I'd only wanna say, that If you want pure Sedan feel, then go for BMW 3(my personal choice) or else you want to feel somewhat out of the box from the sedan image & feel, then undoubtedly it has to be the Q3.

P.S: Audi Q3 is just a great looker, in its segment & price range. Another SUV which i like in this price range is Volvo XC60.

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Thanks Nikvint & Nishu.

Well yesterday i checked out Q3 again though it wasnt available for TD, went through the full brochure for full specs & the list of features, well features wise there is not big difference between the 3 series and this. The Q3 seems great too, even the leg space isnt that bad though 3series has far more legroom.

Now the only thing i want to be sure of, is its handling, because i have read the ACi review on Q3 which says it isnt for the enthu's or a car for spirited drivers. After owning the Jetta, i want a car that is great & inviting to drive, my love for driving has gone to another level after owning this, i love driving it again & again & even after long drives on our highways there is no fatigue felt.

So, to cut it short, can anybody guide me especially from the ACi team, that does the Q3 has same levels of Ride & Handling qualities, that spirited driving nature that the VW Jetta possess, coz if not more i want atleast that from my next possession.

Thanks.

Edited by bluesapphire

Close your eyes and go for the 3 series (its a mini sports car in 328i varient) as it will any day eat the Q3 when the twisty's arrive . Anyway I have always felt that Audi car have a fidgety ride (a bit too stiff) , also please consider the xc60 and the s60 D5 truly under-rated and poorly advertised cars :D

Well i am considering the Volvo's especially the XC60, have read about it again & have a feeling that i might like that car after seeing in personal & TDíng it. Am in touch with both, the Volvo & JLR, both are planning to organize the display event in my city soon so lets see what comes out, till then i want to choose one from the Q3 or 3series.

Well i am considering the Volvo's especially the XC60, have read about it again & have a feeling that i might like that car after seeing in personal & TDíng it. Am in touch with both, the Volvo & JLR, both are planning to organize the display event in my city soon so lets see what comes out, till then i want to choose one from the Q3 or 3series.

If you dont mind to stretch your budget slightly more do check out / consider the ML " 250" cdi as it is ultra VFM and is a large size SUV, priced @ 45L ex-showroom, will get pricey but lots of car @ that price

Well merc. Is just too expensive and even we arent that much interested in merc as a brand.

Tomorrow volvo is coming to my city so lets see what happens i feel that it should be better than the Q3 n lets see if it delivers on driving dynamics i am looking for. Safety n feature wise its great n looks good too just that volvo wont raise any eyes as the trio german still does on the roads...n if its gonna be sedan it has to be 3 or 5 as there is only little price difference between both...

Also are there any owners of q3 n xc60 who can provide a detail review.

And if anyone knows as to how much discount can i get in volvo considering its not sellng much...

And if anyone knows as to how much discount can i get in volvo considering its not sellng much...

General trend iv observed is Volvo tends to price their vehicles anywhere between 5-7 lakhs cheaper than the Germans (7 being an odd case).

Since they arnt exactly selling i reckon you could push for a couple more lakhs of discount and a few freebies here & there since most of their cars come fully loaded. Volvo cars are good packages IMO. Push and squeeze out the best possible deal , they will give in.

Good luck

Well, Volvo are still yet to come & i need to come on an decision fast, although i like Q3, i still doubt if its a great DRIVER's car which is my top priority. Its feather light steering is making me feel so...

Another query, i know i may sound too confusing but as there are good deals going on, based on my above mentioned requirements, which car to choose from bmw 520d & A6 2.0TDi.

Driving dynamics wise no doubt the 5'er is better

But the 5'er will get an LCI update any time soon

So the A6 will be a better bet (do keep in mind the A6 is FWD)

Another query, i know i may sound too confusing but as there are good deals going on, based on my above mentioned requirements, which car to choose from bmw 520d & A6 2.0TDi.

BMW 5-Series is purely a driver's delight.

Audi however appeals to a wider audience.

P.S: If not Q3, then why not to check out a LR Freelander 2, it's also priced close to Rs.34 lacs.

Well i know both are good cars even when driving dynamics are concerned though beemer is always a drivers charm, audi though more luxurious, comfortable n offers more gizmos doesnt looks a 50lac car, doesnt Have a presence of 5series.

As far as fl2 is concerned well there is no dealer at my place n even though its a great off roader doesnt seems to be a great all rounder...

Non-Quattro Audis are FWD (heavens know why) so they aren't exactly what you would derive pure pleasure from but they are perfectly user friendly cars and easy to get used to.

Priority on pure driving experience the 5 would be the way to go with its RWD setup vs the A6's FWD. But that apart in overall NVH & refinement the 4 rings pip the propeller with scarcely believable refinement levels for that 2 litre unit. The BMW unit is louder and sounds coarse. Performance figures of both are very similar. The A6 offers better rear space and is not as claustrophobic as the 5 (RELATIVELY) but having said that the rear seat of the 5 is better since it has much better under thigh support.

My preference is the A6 but you couldnt go wrong with either. Good luck

Well, I was going through older posts of the thread & suddenly a name strike in my mind & it's, " Mini Cooper S Countyman!" It fullfills majority requirements of yours! It's driving dynamics are awsome & due to it's good GC & ride height it feels like a baby SUV! & above all, it's much more eye-catcher than a BMW or Audi & it lies in your budget too!

Nope, the Mini is still the lifestyle vehicle & it isnt really worth the price tag, if i have that extra money i will definately go with that but let me enter into the luxury bandwagon with some sensible car first, then later i can think of something like that. No offence meant.

Well, the decision is still pending.

Last week i test drove the XC60 D4(2.0 diesel), well it looks great, drives good, interiors though not very attractive but are rich & elegant, the build quality felt superb & the car was comfortable. The drive well i liked it but still the roads were good so cant comment on it accurately.

The summum variant we drove also had great features but now the question is, the D4 is 2wd & not AWD, at 46lacs OTR, should i go for a car which is not an AWD when there are cheaper cars like Q3 available with the same. Also, it didnt had features like Hill descent control which i think should be there in a car of this size & segment. Q3 does have for uphill, inclined & even for normal parallel roads.

Also, this would be our first premium category car, the segment we have always dreamed keeping in mind the TRIO Germans. Should i ditch the germans & go for a comparatively unknown brand like Volvo is the question remains unanswered.

So, now actually there are 4 cars into consideration, 3series & Q3 because they are within my budget & A6 & XC60 because they are available with good deals, i would opt between the latter 2 only if they are available at or below 40l otherwise my choice would still be with the former ones. More or less now i am also convinced with the Q3. Lets see what happens...

Nope, the Mini is still the lifestyle vehicle & it isnt really worth the price tag, if i have that extra money i will definately go with that but let me enter into the luxury bandwagon with some sensible car first, then later i can think of something like that. No offence meant.

Dude, Mini Countryman has all four captain seats & rear seats do have channels to obtain maximum space & Comfort! & rear seat folding capability makes it more practical! plus, it has a very good ground clearance, which makes it maneuverable in almost every possible situations! It's ride & handling is world-known! & it costs Rs. 31,99,000/- (Ex. Showroom) So, why not use this life-style vehicle as your normal work-horse?

Again it's just a suggestion! If you have shortlisted the cars, then I'ld suggest you the XC60, as it's more practicle, more comfortable, More High-tech & More safe! Ofcourse German trio is very popular, but you can trust this swedish beauty! & Secondly, I'ld suggest you the 3 series, as it's built better & rides better too, when compared to both Audis!

Any updates ?

Plz do consider the Jag XF 2.2 too :P

Well already considered...now the confusion is increasing even more...had almost zeroed in on Volvo but the td of Jag has blown me off...though lack of common features like tyre pressure monitoring, non hydraulic opening of boot(even my jetta has it) n 6months schedule of service is a let down considering the service costs will almost get doubled....but it has some good features too like rar camera , jaguar handshake, literally all leathr interiors, navigation , etcc... More importantly the dynamics, looks , n the brand which is currently has the most snob value...butt its too expensive at 50 lacs OTR..n there is no deal available as 2.2 is new...lets see what happens...