PrancingHorse

Chevrolet Sail sedan launched. Prices starting at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

post-7692-0-68314900-1359710394.jpg

Chevrolet has launched the Sail sedan with both petrol and diesel options. While petrol variants are priced from Rs 4.99 - 6.41 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi), the diesel variants are on offer from Rs 6.29 - 7.51 lakh. The Sail saloon is the second model in India from the GM-SAIC joint venture.

The Sail saloon is powered by a 79bhp 1.2-litre petrol engine and a 1.3-litre Fiat-sourced diesel motor. The diesel motor comes mated to the F17 gearbox whose ratios are tuned specifically for India. The company's claimed fuel efficiency figures are 18.2kpl for the petrol and 22.1kpl for the diesel motor.

The base trim-level comes with power steering, front power windows, power mirrors, tilt steering, a digital tachometer, engine immobilizer and a 12V power outlet. ABS and EBD come standard on all trim levels. The LS trim level adds full wheel covers, body coloured wing mirrors, fog lamps, leather-wrapped steering wheel, rear power windows, central locking, audio system with Bluetooth and USB, rear parcel shelf and a driver airbag. The top-end LT trim comes with standard ABS and also adds features such as alloy wheels, leather gear knob, passenger airbag, speed sensitive autolock and keyless entry with remote.

Available in seven colour options, the Sail saloon will come with a 3 year/1,00,000km warranty and 5 year/50,000km warranty on powertrain. Chevrolet has no plans to launch an automatic variant anytime soon.

Read the Autocar India review here:http://forum.autocarindia.com/index.php?/topic/9233-aci-review-chevrolet-sail-sedan/

Atlast a sensibly priced car from GM family. Still they need to play the volume game.

With a small diesel(what India needs), GM is sleeping with just 2000-3000 copies a month, now with 1.3(National Engine), the Sail was priced to fail from day one. GM needs to come out with Spark MJD & strip Beat a little and starts to sell atleast 15k MJD cars overall.

GM in fast-drive mode! This car has the potential for a jump-start. If things go well, which they should, this car could get Maruti worried & could be the 1st true competitor to the Dzire.

The launch and the pricing is on expected lines.

The best part is that GM has made ABS and EBD as standard on all variants.

They could have done a bit more to capture a sizeable market with this car.

The glaring missing item is the steering mounted audio controls. They could

have avoided giving a leather treatment for steering wheel & gear knob. They

must have made the steering mounted audio controls a standard across all variants.

While the hatch-sibling (Sail U-VA) is coming with a 3-year Chevrolet promise, the

same is missing in this sedan-sibling. Why ?

Finally there is a good looking entry level sedan at price of hatch. It's a good move by Chevrolet to put Sail sedan rightly in the price bracket of 5L because previously it was speculated that Sail sedan will be a premium product but the overall appeal of the car was not matching with it's "premium" tag.

It looks like due to this move by Chevrolet there will be price correction of hatchback as well as sedans by other companies also as there are hatchbacks and sedans which are overpriced (read Ford Fiesta Classic, Hyundai i20, Honda Brio, SX4, Swift Dzire etc...) or companies will introduce new variants matching with price of SAIL Sedan.

It will be a tough task for Honda Brio to price Brio Sedan and also it will make M&M team to re-think about pricing of their current Verito as well as Verito Hatch.

Though it is launched by GM only concern about Sail Sedan is about it's Chinese Genes. So may be a prospective buyer should take wait and watch approach for some time to get the right review about the product instead of just jumping in wagon blindly.

With this price point, they may have a winner at hand!

I'm pretty sure a CNG version for the low spec model will be soon out in the market which will sure be a hit with the Wings cabs, T-cabs etc.

True, this is going to be a sensible sedan after the Esteem.

I still believe that if Hyundai gave the accent a refresh on the interiors, its still going to do better. The only reason I see them not giving the 1.4 diesel in the Accent is the drop of sales they'd see for i20!! Its still a very good car for the entry segment

Edited by neerajd

The overall exterior look, the MJD, the ABS, GM's signature Ride quality, its 3yrs promise(will be given later) makes a case for itself. I am sure this will soon become their best seller.

This car gets a thumps up when compared with all its rival, viz Etios, Fiesta, Accent, Manza and even DZire as this one is good on every parameter barring chinese connection. So this seems to be a good move.

The true competitor to this will be Verito CS, but the Indian Sedan mentality would make this a winner.

... its 3yrs promise ( will be given later ) ...

You are right dear. It has been INCLUDED in today's advertisements carried in all newspapers.

So,

The cost is 5.08 lakhs for the base petrol version. Inclusive of the 3-5-3 warranty offers

(3 year Chevrolet Promise, 5 year warranty for engine and transmission and 3 year

vehicle warranty).

Now, the offer is very tempting and every sedan buyer should have a look at this option also.

Atlast a sensibly priced car from GM family. Still they need to play the volume game.

At last ?

IMO GM has always been fair in pricing (since 2009 i.e. post bankruptcy & Karl Slyms role in Indian Operation)

The Spark, Beat have done well

Infact when the CRUZE was launched it was priced well too

Likewise as soon as the Cruze was launched the Magnum prices were corrected & immediately Magnum did good nos. too for a while.

Interesting to note a Rs. 1.2 lakh price difference between the base petrol and diesel variants.

I wonder how they have priced things though.I was checking their website for prices in Thane and there is a difference of Rs. 70k between bottom and LS ABS diesel variants whereas for the petrol variants such a price comparison comes to only Rs. 30k.

my bad experiance @ Chevrolet Dealership

today i went to your SURAT GUJARAT dealership for buying a new Chevy SAIL SEDAN LS ABS surprisingly impressed and decided to buy it and ask for quote for SAIL LS ABS dealer gives me Ex. showroom price 6,95,000.00 + 3371.00 logistic charge ( who will bare this Logistic charge dealer or customer ?) and RTO TAX given by dealer is around 40,000.00 but actual RTO TAX is around 35000.00 rs. they are charging 5000 rs for RTO Passing fee OMG. this is ridiculous !!!!

now quote for insurance policy dealer quoted around 22000-24000 and actually same insurance quoted by my insurance agent is 19000.00 rs !!! means they are robbing buyers by about 8000.00-10000.00 rs .... are you hearing Chevy ? thats why your cars not selling and capturing or goozup the market because of your LALCHU dealers you have to change or you are going to loose indian market

i hope chevy u'll understand me a world giant but in india a little bug rise-up CHEVY......!

my bad experiance @ Chevrolet Dealership

today i went to your SURAT GUJARAT dealership for buying a new Chevy SAIL SEDAN LS ABS surprisingly impressed and decided to buy it and ask for quote for SAIL LS ABS dealer gives me Ex. showroom price 6,95,000.00 + 3371.00 logistic charge ( who will bare this Logistic charge dealer or customer ?) and RTO TAX given by dealer is around 40,000.00 but actual RTO TAX is around 35000.00 rs. they are charging 5000 rs for RTO Passing fee OMG. this is ridiculous !!!!

now quote for insurance policy dealer quoted around 22000-24000 and actually same insurance quoted by my insurance agent is 19000.00 rs !!! means they are robbing buyers by about 8000.00-10000.00 rs .... are you hearing Chevy ? thats why your cars not selling and capturing or goozup the market because of your LALCHU dealers you have to change or you are going to loose indian market

i hope chevy u'll understand me a world giant but in india a little bug rise-up CHEVY......!

Don't get discouraged lineshshah.

It's the story of all the dealers of almost every car companies. But still wanna share few knowledge bits about this fact includng my experiences.

1. Yes, RTO Tax quoted by the dealer is high but try to do this whole process by yourself in govt office, you'll end up saving not more than 1 or 2 grands & i think that spend via dealer is worth the botheration spend, just my personal experience.

2. Yes, Insurance prices quoted by dealer is slightly & this is one of the main area where their cash margin lies, but you can bargain on this by demanding some freebies against it or you can get it done by an external agent also. Its purely your priority.

3. Yes, charging additional Logistics charges on a car is an unfair practice but again this is a part of cost breakup, you've to bear with it, even me alongwith all here did.

There're many court cases filed on this complaint also across various cities.

Please note: Neither i am an employee nor i own any dealership, instead all views shared above are based on my personal experiences & knowledge.

At last ?

IMO GM has always been fair in pricing (since 2009 i.e. post bankruptcy & Karl Slyms role in Indian Operation)

The Spark, Beat have done well

You know how Spark was priced once? Pathetic.

Beat, its marginally cheaper than a BIG, good handling car with better engine aka Figo and you call it good pricing.

The problem is GM is out of brains. I have mentioned it in some other thread also, now Fiat atleast takes some steps, but GM dying.

The visible big mistakes by Chevy are

1. Low quality chinese products

2. Lack of Ads

3. Over Pricing( barring Sail sedan)

4. Wasting the 1L MJDs potential, i.e, by launching Spark MJD, they can get volumes and have Beat at lower price

5. Worst service, those sales guy won't even consider you a customer

6. Unethical( recent eg of LineshShah)

You know how Spark was priced once? Pathetic.

Beat, its marginally cheaper than a BIG, good handling car with better engine aka Figo and you call it good pricing.

Beat has its positives IMO it is way better looking car, funkier interiors, excellent drive-ability.

But still its cheaper than the Figo ? be it marginally but still ... so why not is that a good pricing ?

Mind you, i have nothing against the Figo.. IMO it is one of the most rounded package (needs more power under the hood though) - Again not comparing with the Beat

The visible big mistakes by Chevy are

1. Low quality chinese products

2. Lack of Ads

3. Over Pricing( barring Sail sedan)

4. Wasting the 1L MJDs potential, i.e, by launching Spark MJD, they can get volumes and have Beat at lower price

5. Worst service, those sales guy won't even consider you a customer

6. Unethical( recent eg of LineshShah)

^ Above are more managerial mistakes

So what most cos. have done mistakes;

Less spoken about Ford the better (eg. Mondeo, New Fiesta etc) In fact Figo was the savior - Also ask the IKON owners regarding spare parts availability & hear them speak , lol

Fiat (Tata association)

Renaults entry (With Mahindra)

Goes on ... so what ?

Point no. 6 - There have been many incidents where other car Companies have also been negligent ( For example very recently A customer booked 110 ps Duster he got delivered an 85 ps)

Point no 5 - There have been service packages where a car like Spark has almost nil cost for 3 years.

Also my Cruze is cheaper to maintain than an Laura ( Previously owned a 1.9 PD L&K ) - Comparing because its same segment

^ Ok, another point where this time i will give a negative point to GM which will be that the SONIC Based hatch shouldve been launched instead of the U-VA, likewise SONIC based sedan other than this.

Bala plz remember i am in accordance with your statements but last 3 years GM India has done some good reviving & IMO i think GM needs a pat on the back.

after all pros. and cons. i am going to buy this car

because maruti dzire is sub 4 mtr. and saving about 50000.00 ( dont know exately ) maruti is not passing this benifite to buyers ???

and also dzire vdi has no airbag no abs whith that hight cost

@linesh

Are you in urgent need of a car?

With so many bad impression, I would rather advice you to wait a couple of months and get Amaze.

Though Amaze is sub 4M, it might be the space king, FE king, good interiors,... and the list goes on.

FYKI- Honda has got the best AfSS in India, so you will have peace of mind.

Edited by creativebala

@bala

i am not in hurry to buy any car but till date i found SAIL as good car other then available cars for this segment

I saw AMEZE i donot like it is to small low space like BRIO ( ameze is based on brio ) and also bad impression with SURAT honda Dealer ( same dealershop owner of MARUTI & HONDA ) i had bad experience with my maruti esteem issue

Good service is depands on your car company and its dealer and i found bad honda dealer and good cheavy dealer

i donot like it is to small low space like BRIO ( ameze is based on brio )

Amaze is not exactly on Brio. Its has extended wheel base.

Amaze will be as spacious as Sail sedan. Mark my words here.

Atleast 3-5 kmpl more FE and almost 2 times powerful. and makes you feel travling in a premium sedan.

The Sail's boot is not too big, it is not too powerful, it has pathetic interiors.

The only 2 things Sail got is Ride( GM's signature ) and the exterior.

Edited by creativebala

GM Suspends the production on SAIL & Tavera Diesel variants:

While the exact problem is unknown, the American automaker has clarified to AutoX that it is not a safety issue. GM India has also clarified that this issue is only restricted to the diesel models.

The company says that there is an emission issue with the BSIII version of the Tavera. As for the Sail sedan and Sail U-VA diesel, GM India states that there is ‘quality issue’ with the Smartech diesel engine.

This engine is a variation of the Multijet diesel which was co-developed by GM and Fiat. The interesting bit is that this engine also makes a home under the bonnet of the Enjoy MPV but no directives have been issued for the MPV. GM manufactures the 1.3L engine in its Talegaon plant.

We are awaiting further clarifications on these defects. We suspect there could be a recall on the cards from GM India.

[source: Autox.in] via IAB

SAIL LS ABS 1.5 year experience is wonderful

Ride - smooth

Stability - 4 person with fully loaded boot on express highway no1. achieved 170 kmph

excellent breaking thanks to ABS

better then Dzire/manza/ some what better then vento n fabia ( for this price no much difference )