PrancingHorse

Tata planning new premium hatchback .Possible 2015 launch

Tata Motors is working on a new premium small car that to rival premium hatch offerings from Maruti, Hyundai, Ford etc.. The new car which is likely to be built on the refurbished Indicaplatform codenamed 'X0' will be one of the company's biggest launches when it is unveiled in 2015.

Tata Motors Managing Director Karl Slym, who played an important role in introducing cars such as the Spark and the Beat for General Motors in India, is aiming to deliver a modern, contemporary vehicle that appeal to the youth.

One person close to the development said the company can introduce a new product quickly and cheaply by using the existing Indica platform. "A common man does not see the platform; he or she is attracted by the style, design and features. The new X0 intends to deliver just that with almost 75% change in body in white (body panels)," the person said, requesting anonymity as he is not authorised to talk to the me dia. The exact product specification in terms of design, cost and time, called final data judgement (FDJ) in industry parlance, is likely to be frozen on March 31. Vendors will then be asked to work on the project.

The small car is expected to be powered by a 1.05-litre three-cylinder diesel engine and 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine. To offer a wider price range, Tata Motors may include other higher capacity engine options as well. The new hatchback will be positioned in the 40,000-units-a-month hatchback market, which makes up 20% of the overall passenger vehicle segment. It will also see competition in the form of Hyundai's new small car (BA) and localised Skoda Fabia, among others.

Source: http://economictimes...ow/18357920.cms

I personally Feel Vista is a good product and a facelift based on the front styling shown on a concept at the Auto Expo should do the trick. An updated Vista/Manza combo with a proper dashboard ( Manza, Vista D90) style and a MultiJet (Quadrajet in tata speak) could do the trick for them.

Any new product conceived now will take at least two years to launch. Looking at the way their sales have been plummeting month to month, one hopes Tata Motors will hang on in the passenger car market for the next two years.

Tata really needs to understand the market.They need to at least facelift the existing Vista, Manza and Aria line-up within next 6 months.

The only silver lining is the newly launched Tata Safari Storme which seems to be doing well and feedback from users suggest that for once Tata have delivered a niggle-free product with best in class ride comfort, space and maneuverability.

i feel TATA products are good, they should concentrate more on petrol engines.the built and finish quality is the main area where they sholud be very keen.lets hope that they will bring better rival for maruti suzuki swift in the next 2 years

Too little too late.

This upmarket entry hatch should now been cracked by Tata and should have had 2-3yrs of first mover advantage and should have got a reputation by 2015, but look what.

3yrs more on a car which they showcased 2 yrs back. Even the engine is shown last year.

So will it take 5yrs for tata to make a car on existing platform? Had it been Mahindra, he would have made a Hatch, Hatch XL, Sedan, Compact Sedan, MPV, Mini SUV, premium hatch all in the existing Vista platform in 5 yrs.

By 2015, there might 1 or 2 small diesel engines, so this XO would struggle to make a cut. Am sure VW UP will be flying once launched and could kill this car too.

All tata products are very well engineered & designed; only criteria where it falls behind is quality & unless n' untill they improve on that front they could never achive big no.s with premium sector products!

So will it take 5yrs for tata to make a car on existing platform? Had it been Mahindra, he would have made a Hatch, Hatch XL, Am sure VW UP will be flying once launched and could kill this car too.

I've never seen anyone so confident about VW UP! IMHO, It's design is too ahead of the time & I wonder even if it could do half as good as sail UVA!

All tata products are very well engineered & designed; only criteria where it falls behind is quality & unless n' untill they improve on that front they could never achive big no.s with premium sector products!

Have you driven the Grande on its launch? I am not talking of 80s or 90s, just 3yrs back. It was a living proof for Tata to improve multi folds.

I've never seen anyone so confident about VW UP! IMHO, It's design is too ahead of the time & I wonder even if it could do half as good as sail UVA!

1. Indians love Cheap or VFM car.

2. Indians love diesel car.

Can you imagine a combination of the above 2.

In addition to cracking Indian market, it adds Funky style, more space, awesome interiors,... what else you need to compete with Eon or AStar.