Roy Raymond

Scorpio VLX AT

I've Scorpio VLX AT since Dec 2008 and it started giving transmission issues after it completing 4 years & extended warranty.

My scorpio auto-transmission is with the agency for the past 1 month, for auto-transmission problem of not shifting the gears internally and doesn't cross 25 km. The agency & their experts find it difficult and recommending replacing the auto-transmission kit itself. Since it is expensive, I'm looking out for expert advice, if any body can try repair this. Appreciate your help please.

Also, is it possible to change this into manual gear?

Appreciate your advices.

Roy

You gave me the scare.

I also have the exact model purchased almost an year ago.Too bad the trouble with your transmission started right after the four year extended warranty came to an end.

How many kms has your vehicle done ? Did you face similar issues earlier? Has this vehicle been in your family through its life?How many people drive this vehicle? What is the estimate that the company gives for the new transmission?

My guess would be to get the AT corrected than to strip it of it, will try to gather more info for you and let you know if i find something.

Also steer clear of the idea of having it repaired almost anywhere,it could do more harm than good.

I am sure you know that Mahindras AT is sourced from an Australian Company and only comes on order, this company recently filed for bankruptcy and thus stalled Mahindras XUV AT launch.Since then Mahindra is looking at Hyundai for its AT , I also recently read somewhere it also going to Ford for the same(un confirmed)

Thank you Librankur for the reply. We're great fan of Scorpio and using Scorpio since 2005. We bought this vehicle on Dec 2008 and driven only by me around 80+K now. We drive frequently throughout Kerala and Tamil Nadu from our base at Bangalore.

During first year itself there were issues with the AT and as per the manufacturer (DSI) advice then, the agency replaced it as part of warranty with no cost to me. And this changed one ran for 3 years, and now giving problems. Now it costs around 1.5L and it should be on me, as extended warranty is also complete.

I feel, the liability of M&M should be more than just suggesting to replace, but should look out at the option of getting their experts trained by the AT manufacturer DSI-Australia (or now Geely-China) to repair these parts. Or otherwise, like Ford givesg 10yrs warranty for their AT part, which is sensible and customer friendly approach.

Hope to get some solution to my issue.....

This is extremely bad...however, I would suggest before going in for full replacement, you should check some good outside market mechanics as well "may be" - as the chances are very less...but you will get some assessement there.

Edited by Sstar

Auto-transmission, if faulty can only be replaced.

That's a one major drawback of auto transmission.

You should go out and seek advice from local mechanics(good-ones) and if it can be repaired, blindly go for it. As, your extended warranty has expired so no worry about the warranty getting void.

(Finger-Crossed) Keep us informed .