rishirich27

Skoda - Clutchplate issues

I made this unfortunate decision of buying a skoda in sep,2005.just after 15000 km it pressure plate broke into two,dealer said coz of clutch over ridding ,which i never do. any how after some emailing skoda did replace it free of cost.

now 40,000 km after that incidence, one fine day my car just stopped moving in gears,clutch slipping, now they say sir fly wheel damaged coz of clutch over ridding ,again which never happened.

i recall just month back after i had it serviced ,it developed gear problem getting into 3-4-5 was really hard they tried greasing it did not help,then did something else i don't know what and i got fine but 3 gear was still hard somewhat.and after this ,i have this problem. these two thing are linked i feel.

this fly wheel thing costs 55,000 Rs ,and that also for no fault of mine,

anybody here with any suggestions on this ......

i have already mailed skoda heasdquaters,

The pressure plate problem is a common ailment with the VW/Skoda platform, check the myvwlemon.com site where you will see few with this ailment.There is another Skoda owner here with the same fault. Its is manufacturing defect and has nothing to do with driving styles, even Indica clutches last longer than this with abuse. Also hard shifting means syncro cones are bust, this is the long term result of the faulty clutch as well as the syncros have worn out due to that reason.

Clutch in my Accord is now 225000 miles old, car is driven in extreme NYC traffic regularly. Clutch on my MB 300TD is around 150,000km, vehicle was originally driven in US and has covered 42000km in traffic congested Kolkatta. The Gurkha has 100,000km on severely off roaded and also on road driven kilometers and the Jonga has original clutch at 178,000km of mixed on and off road. Not all clutches last 50,000km, some are over engineered and over sized and made to pull serious load and last for miles with just a bit of tender loving care.

by the way normal life of clutch is 45-50k only..... so probably it happened because it's life got over.....

I can understand the clutch going bad, how about the flywheel which under normal conditions last over 200,000 miles with ease on average vehicle. Maybe German and East European engineering here is something special smiley2.gif

pata nahi yaar but this skoda,earlier i used to say tata is fudu ,but even skoda is same, now would says tata is still better atleats the parts are cheap,here in skoda one pays 3 times and the parts last 1/3 a time.

whats obsession and quality they count upon.

@iceman   cause customer satisfaction is done by voting by owners only.... and owners like me rate it high (which are not small in number)

Well, that way every owner feels good about his/her car. But in this forum, there is more negative feedback about Skoda.

well it's not about the company i have a accent crdi

1. the dealer didn't install the tubeless tyres as promised and i had to visit him again..... all the in jallandhar from delhi

2. the engine mounting broke in 3 months

3. problem with clutch in 4 months

4. problem with battery in 6 months

but i handeled it all though got into real big fights speacially for the battery but got it all done.... though had to pay for the engine mounting

but this doesn't mean accent is a bad car...... i love it..... it is just the way you handel things..... and how you drive... and ofcourse luck

Reliable cars don't break or hardly break, old W123 Mercedes, old Volvos, Honda and Toyota are prime examples of how and what a reliable car should be.

If it breaks and has issues its bad, specially when its hyped up and sold with a high price tag with false claims of superiority.

well my family has 3 mercs 8 toyotas 6hondas (not volvo) but all other do have problem and they are not like totally problem free......

ps: when i say family.... it means not my mom dad bros and sis but my whole family.... which is quite big

Sure they have problems, how many Hondas do you see with severe mechanical issues like clutch failure and flywheel wear down in low mileage conditions. Have you gone across the vast extensive data bank that CR holds and checked which make has most severe mechanical issues. Don't be surprised to find the flag bearer of quality engineering that is VW at the top there. The Honda Accord and Jazz have bullet proof reputation, so does Toyota and other Japanese brands, do you think people just rate them for the sake of it?

Not higher than Honda or Toyota and I have already explained that factor, no one is denying that rating, lets come to the mechanical aspects. VW platform suffers from many maladies as witnessed by the slew of lawsuits facing them under US lemon law. Also the customers here have complained so the numbers are against it as per the industry indicators.

the number of customers who have complained here is very less compared to the number of skoda owners in india..... not to mention skoda electricals part are better than honda or toyota..... wait honda and toyota only have the basic electricals so may be thats why no electrical problems (no electricals at all smiley36.gif) .... if you noticed with so many sensors covering all most every part of a skoda their is no electrical problem in that... and no techinical one too.... execpt the clutch.... so what it's not perfect..... no car is.... please don't give me that VWs lemon site again... we live in india and we are talking about skoda

So now you are telling me world leaders Japanese are behind in electronics, is your source the same as the one which claims that Skoda made the best tank engines? Have you seen a Lexus or an Acura, the Lexus was the first vehicle to feature automatic parking system. Japanese implement electricals thoroughly whereas Skoda has to sell electronic toys to justify its high price. Are you aware that Japanese were first to introduce all wheel steering or electronic torque distribution in production cars way back in 80s. FYI, all modern Mercedes, BMW, Bentley use NGK Japan spark plugs and ND electronics. Toyota and Honda electricals or mechanicals don't break period. You might not wish to acknowledge myvwlemon.com testimonials but please don't peddle this is India here, India is no different market than anywhere else and its the rigthful duty of any car makers to sell quality products for the price they charge. Denying faults won't make them go away. Its obvious you are now arguing on an emotional basis rather than any substantial factual based defense of your claims. Let me repeat, that won't hide the fact that VW has a long way to go up the reliabilty ladder. Lastly, do you play with your electronic toys or do you drive? If you can call the premature wear of flywheel trivial problem, you obviously have no real sense in the mechanical dynamics involved in a flywheels premature wear and its eventual impact. Flywheel also forms an important factor of the crank balance and harmonics. Any wear means engine crank throw in the long run.

no my source is not the same as the " the one which claims that Skoda made the best tank engines" and i think i explained that earlier... only if you would read..... i even said sorry but... anywayz...this on my personel experience... as you have seen this is under indian cars so...... in india skoda is offering on-board computers....parking sendors with maxi dot display... and what not...
honda and toyota(i would mention india here again).... none..... and as far as i can see it you just made your mind by reading reviews and all that lemon law and stuff.... ever thought of owning a skoda.... driving one and know how it feels.... well i will tell you it feels great try it out some day.... why i like skoda is not because i own one but cause i have a experience of one...... one skoda in my life and i have bought 2 more diesels cars (skoda was my first ever diesel)..

don't you think there is something in it that i like it so much?

they said they have contacted the dealer and will soon reply, that was at 1 pm on 17 jan 08

nothing after that.

i have written a letter will post it to MD Skoda tommorow,i know in India such things are not easy. it will be a big fight and skoda must know punjabees fight well.

well....... surely punjabees do fight well.....lol..... though i love skoda but if you have a problem with your car do fight it out...... if you need you can put my case too..... my clutch plate broke down at 32k.... had just completed it's 2 yrs so was out of warranty.... i was in baroda coming to delhi... as i had no time i had to pay and get repaired.... i will give you the case details if you want....