AMG1

SCOOP! Mahindra S101 Compact SUV takes shape.

We were the first to tell you about Mahindra developing a range of new SUVs, including sub-compact models, and now here are the first ever pictures of one such model undergoing testing.

This new baby SUV (codenamed S101) will be the second offering from Mahindra in the sub-four-metre SUV segment and will sit below the Quanto. Mahindra plans to aim the S101 at the likes of sportier mini-SUVs like the Ford EcoSport. As you can see from the photo, this heavily camouflaged test mule is at a very early stage of development, and features dummy head- and tail-lamps. The car’s profile reveals a sporty, crossover-like stance with high ground clearance and a slightly raked rear windscreen.

post-4747-0-39655600-1363166753.jpg

Mahindra is reportedly planning to share interior components with its other models to keep costs down. What’s more, seeing as how it managed to squeeze seven seats into a sub-four-metre footprint with the Quanto, the company could pitch this new SUV as a six- or even an eight-seater.

The carmaker is also reportedly considering developing an upmarket version of the S101 that will be codenamed S102.

I personally think this could be a segment changer if positioned below or on par with the EcoSport. High time for Tata and Maruti to jump into this segment.

Thats an awesome catch. Thanks for sharing AMG1. Mahindra seems to be on a roll developing new products for the market. The Quanto has seen good success and this looks promising as well. In my opinion, it could share a lot of components with the Quanto. Lets see what powers this mini SUV. If things go right, this has all the ingredients to be a game changer.

First, is there a need for such type of vehicle?

They already have Quanto below 4m, so i wonder what purpose will this new vehicle serve.

Also, don't know how M&M will be able to position this below Quanto and that too with 6/8 seater configuration??

THanks for sharing AMG1. But to me, it looks like M800 planted on 14 or 15 inches wheels. :) I mean it is very compact UV.

I think of the same at the 1st sight! :D

First, is there a need for such type of vehicle?

They already have Quanto below 4m, so i wonder what purpose will this new vehicle serve.

Also, don't know how M&M will be able to position this below Quanto and that too with 6/8 seater configuration??

Considering today's SUV craze, there is definitely place for a Super Compact SUV below 4 lakhs! & I'ld suggest tata that rather than making a nano sedan, think of a 4X4 dune buggy based on it! It's really possible & when the same thing was done with VW beetle back in 70s, it was a huge hit!

IMAG0333.jpg

113_0704_12_z+meyers_manx+front_view.jpg

Considering today's SUV craze, there is definitely place for a Super Compact SUV below 4 lakhs! & I'ld suggest tata that rather than making a nano sedan, think of a 4X4 dune buggy based on it! It's really possible & when the same thing was done with VW beetle back in 70s, it was a huge hit!

Yes, i agree, mini SUV are the in thing. But below 4 L?

What about the quality, i guess it should be made of plastic body.

Even with Quanto, M&M had compromised on design and dynamics aspect to price it aggressively.

So i really don't know how will they be able to deliver even an average quality product below Quanto with 6/8 seat config.

Ideally-

1. It should look like a compact SUV, not a stilted hatch or minivan
  2. It should be a five-seater. For a change. A roomy five-seater, not a cramped eight-fit
  3. It should have a four-wheel drive option. Not everyone (rather, practically nobody) can buy a Thar as a daily or single ride
  4. Larger wheels, wider tyres are what it needs
  5. Top-notch build quality, please!
  6. Refined machinery, please!
  7. Minimum 80bhp with the option up to 110bhp
  8. FULL safety features. And I mean FULL. ABS, six airbags, traction control, brake assist, parking sensor.

Yes, i agree, mini SUV are the in thing. But below 4 L?

What about the quality, i guess it should be made of plastic body.

Even with Quanto, M&M had compromised on design and dynamics aspect to price it aggressively.

So i really don't know how will they be able to deliver even an average quality product below Quanto with 6/8 seat config.

6/8 seater version isn't really a must! Even 5 seater SUVs like duster are doing great & the customer for this vehicle isn't going to be a joint family or tour operator, young people who are short on money but have a stylish lifestyle will buy them! & in India there are large no of this peoples! & dude, plastic & carbon fiber constructions are costlier than the metallic one & they are lot safer also, as plastic brakes & metal bends!

Ideally-

1. It should look like a compact SUV, not a stilted hatch or minivan
  2. It should be a five-seater. For a change. A roomy five-seater, not a cramped eight-fit
  3. It should have a four-wheel drive option. Not everyone (rather, practically nobody) can buy a Thar as a daily or single ride
  4. Larger wheels, wider tyres are what it needs
  5. Top-notch build quality, please!
  6. Refined machinery, please!
  7. Minimum 80bhp with the option up to 110bhp
  8. FULL safety features. And I mean FULL. ABS, six airbags, traction control, brake assist, parking sensor.

Dude this is my dream specification too!

& the only vehicle near-by this specification is the upcoming Ford Ecosport! If they reworked the interiors & put all 4 business class like captain seats with channels (like Mini Countryman) & replaced all the black interiors with beige or white interior + Longer wheelbase & 1 ltr. ecoboost engine with 4WD & I'll happily pay upto 10-12 lakhs for it!

but here we are talking about sub 4 lakh SUVs! & if they provide 75HP with 4X4, dual airbags & comfortable interior, I'm more than happy with it! They can really make cool desings using tall-boy frames of likes of WagonR or Santro! or a small cute dune buggy like SUV based on Nano or Spark would also be a big hit!

A chop job is not the right product when dealing with a mature market.

A chop job can just be an interim product till the time the manufacturer can come up with right product this insures that the loyal customer of the brand dont go hunting else where and buys them time for the right product development.

Mahindra has tasted good success with the Quanto but now its a hard sell with other products just waiting to jump in the fray. Consider this there are discounts deals upto 44k on the new Quanto.

A right product will always find takers and a fresh launch will be lapped on even quicker.

The sloping roof line on the rear suggest its a 5 seater, i dont know how you can verify it to be a Mahindra under such a camouflage , i see no reference point in the vehicle showed here but am trusting you on this.

A chop job can just be an interim product till the time the manufacturer can come up with right product this insures that the loyal customer of the brand dont go hunting else where and buys them time for the right product development.

Mahindra has tasted good success with the Quanto but now its a hard sell with other products just waiting to jump in the fray. Consider this there are discounts deals upto 44k on the new Quanto.

A right product will always find takers and a fresh launch will be lapped on even quicker.

The sloping roof line on the rear suggest its a 5 seater, i dont know how you can verify it to be a Mahindra under such a camouflage , i see no reference point in the vehicle showed here but am trusting you on this.

Correct!

Rather than chopping full size SUVs, they should build newer products based on smaller hatchbacks!

There is another reason , M&Ms share is falling in the Utility Vehicle segment , its for the first time since 2008 that its share has fallen below 50% in this space.

This is largely due to Ertiga and Duster

Now lets puts down some numbers

While Duster sold 33000 units in 7 months , which equals 4.5K units a month.

Ertiga sold 71000 units in 10 months , which equals 7.1k units a month.

Quanto sold 14577 units in 5 months, which equals 2.9 units a month.

These sales are well below the expectations for the cheapest offering from Mahindra.

This is what i meant by a Chop Job for a Mature Market in my earlier post.

Toyota is facing similar fate and is arrogant enough to ignore this space , its share has fallen down from 19% to 16.7 %

With launches like Ford EcoSport , Maruti XA Alpha and Hyundai HexaSpace , without a new meaning full product both Mahindra and Toyota ,will suffer even more.Tata Motors is sleeping as always in this segment , so no need to mention it here.

Also ,they need to find a Scorpio replacement soon enough.

Vehicle in picture by AMG is projected as"Compact SUV" but I feel this is Verito CS or Verito Hatch. Since some time we are hearing news about M&M's plan to enter into hatchback segment.

May be M&M is developing a hatchback of size of Indica Vista or a bit larger than that with some qualities of SUV in which M&M is very expert. So it may be mix of price and size of a hatchback (Below 6.0 L) + qualities of SUV.

Whatever M&M is doing is to create an entire new segment to make space and eat sweet pie of hatchback and compact suv success story in India.

M&M is burning mid oil in its upcoming S101, the upcoming biggest launch ever for M&M. This Mini XUV is going to rewrite Indian Auto Industry, no doubts on that.

The Speciality of it are

1. Looks like Hyundai Tuscan in overall profile

2. Jeepish Front

3. New Petrol & Diesel Engine

4. 6 seater, with 3 seats upfront

5. Monoquoqe

6. Tail gate spare wheel

Am posting ACI's teaser website for you all, I am posting this since this is just a teaser aimed at making readers to buy this month's AC Mag

http://www.magzter.com/Preview/Autocar-India/20/16315/1

Indeed a great move by Mahindra at almost a right time.

And to do the justice with this gorgeous XUV-ish looks a Refined, 4-cylinder 1.5 litre Diesel engine is required than puny, noisy & cluttery 3-cylinder of Quanto.

Please mind the latter fact team Mahindra, I'm sure it'll bring multi-fold success to this product.

Don't you feel M&M is just positioning a Hatchback as Super Mini-SUV / Compact SUV. It's just a new marketing technique (in other words gimmick).

Just because M&M is into SUV / MUVs etc.. they want everything called something before UV. So this S101 will be called CSUV.

It is quite evident that soon we will hear from M&M that they are launching "SUV Sedan" or SSUV : )

@Creativebala

The pics shown are not actual they are just renderings. I still feel from the scoop pic as posted by AMG1 that the S101 will not be based on XUV5oo.

But I doubt my judgement just because AUTOCAR INDIA has put-up rendering on their cover so they must be having some inside information about design just like in past when they posted rendering of XYLO before it's launch which was very similar to the actual.

It looks like S101 will be smaller than Ecosport but i would not call it "Toy Hatch" :)

I am sure the S101 will have way better looks and drviing dynamics than the Quanto. The baby-XUV look is just spot on and will give a tough time to the EcoSport and Duster in India. A strip of LED DRL's just like the XUV500 will look awesome.

A rendering by me posted on MotorBeam Forums.

I had named it XUV 350 and every member went on laughing.

Here is the link.

www.motorbeam.com/forums/threads/2509-Mahindra-s-secret-SUV-below-Quanto-spied/page2

Nice rendering Amish but you named your rendering not inline with M&M as they like to have big "O" after all their vehicles so may be you may call it XUV3oo.

You may also try rendering long wheel base XUV (May be we call it XUV7oo) having more space in last row as well as for luggage. This may be a nice concept considering level of quality XUV is offering and the driving dynamics which can easily compete with Innova head to head.