dpkarvind

New Ford Fiesta Diesel or Skoda Rapid Diesel

Hello

I m going for a diesel sedan...and the final selection I have got to is new Ford Fiesta Diesel and Skoda Rapid Diesel. My usage is a mix of 80% city driving plus 20% of outstation driving. While I have been driving Ford Ikon for 10 years previously, I feel the new Fiesta is overpriced. I have liked the Skoda Rapid overall but am too much worried about the after sales services. Owners dread sending thier Skodas for Rapid...has this changed or still the same. Help me please with choosing between these.

Overall, Skoda's A.S.S has not much improved, people are still facing troubles with it however. On the other hand NFF is fantastic car to drive though a bit pricey.

Since you asked for A.S.S then if I were in your shoe I would have preferred NFF over Rapid. as Ford network is imroving faster ever since they launched Figo. I mean there is a shift in attitude altogether.

Overall, Skoda's A.S.S has not much improved, people are still facing troubles with it however. On the other hand NFF is fantastic car to drive though a bit pricey.

Since you asked for A.S.S then if I were in your shoe I would have preferred NFF over Rapid. as Ford network is imroving faster ever since they launched Figo. I mean there is a shift in attitude altogether.

Hey, thanks so much for this...I too would be tilting towards NFF..but one more thing which baffles me is I hardly see any NFFs on the road. While there are lots of Skoda Rapids to be seen on road. One major factor could be pricing, but then if Vento Diesel are seen on road I would have expected to see some Fiestas too on road...strangely not at all to be seen on roads....Apologies for bringing in a Vento into the story but just for the price factor !!!

Its true that the New Ford Fiesta is not much seen on the roads. Its a good car but the new design has its own spell on Indian customers. The fiesta's new looks were never liked by most of the buyers and added with a high price, it couldn't be a hit. But the car offers a huge space, a well refined engine, very premium interiors and a class that is a notch higher.

On the other hand Skoda Rapid is doing well. A.S.S. of Skoda is poor but with a Rapid, I think one need not be visiting the garage regularly.

I think the New Ford Fiesta is a much better car for city driving because there is almost no turbo lag and the ride is excellent . I agree that the pricing is on the higher side but nowadays there is discount of 50-80k on the diesel fiesta (you will just have to flight it out with your dealer). Also everything is getting expensive so a fully loaded car in this segment is costing 12 lakhs on road in Mumbai anyways and here the Titanium + variant is 11.5 on road and with discounts its around 11 on road which I think is excellent deal . The Skoda Rapid is a good car (excellent engine) but I am reading mixed review about the after sales service also you don't get as many feature as the Fiesta in the top trim which are priced equally . The reason for low number of New Fiesta on road is that the marketing and price point have killed the product (ala Jazz and also its own Fiesta classic).

Hey, thanks so much for this...I too would be tilting towards NFF..but one more thing which baffles me is I hardly see any NFFs on the road. While there are lots of Skoda Rapids to be seen on road. One major factor could be pricing, but then if Vento Diesel are seen on road I would have expected to see some Fiestas too on road...strangely not at all to be seen on roads....Apologies for bringing in a Vento into the story but just for the price factor !!!

One of the reason has rightly been pointed out on the top is design of car. It is by design more youth oriented and people may not like it as it depends person to person. Another reason is the higher price point. But recently Ford has cut down the price just to make sure NFF can make a point in C segment.

However, I also feel that it is about awareness as well. I mean how many ads do you see in TV for NFF Versus ads of Rapid/Vento? How many promotional schemes (discounts/warranty/interest rates/EMI options etc) Ford is running like VW is doing to sell Vento?

This makes a good impact to make a market presence felt.

Also, plus point is...you can stand out of the crowd :)

Edited by Sstar

Thanks, I have started talks with Ford dealership and inching towards closing the deal if I get good discounts...my final observations about the car before I go for it....excellent driveability, ride quality, mid variant too is well equipped BUT poor ergonomics, dull rear seats esp. the rear seat headrests are a pain...will be sitting across the table with Skoda as well....but in all probabilities....It will be the Ford Fiesta ...as my heart tells me to....

Since you are looking for a C segment diesel sedan, do not restrict yourself prior to the purchase as you may miss out on a better option. Had I been in your place with 80% of my running happening within city limits, I would have gone in for the Verna as it promises great interior-exterior package, great fuel economy coupled with a powerful engine, and a loaded feature list. The only shortcoming is a slightly softer suspension which otherwise gives a good supple ride on city roads but loses out its composure at high speeds (especially while cornering hard) and on the highways. Drive it immediately after driving a Vento/ Rapid and you would realize the different suspension setups of both the cars. However, this would not be an issue as long as you do not cross 120kmph on the speedo.

If you like NFF so much and feels costlier, why not Cross Shop?

Ecosport would be sporting almost similar interiors & engine at a price much lower. Having a SUV in place of Sedan is a biiiiiiig welcoming move in India for its super smooth roads.

Also since you drive 80% in City, a shorter vehicle will be a bliss. Once Ecosport sales pick up, expect a sharp cut in NFF pricing as Ford will get better volume from similar components mix.

Go for NFF as we are using one since 2011 and everything looks good in this car. Maintenance is not costly like skoda and excellent FE and planted on road always