PrancingHorse

Spy pic: VW CrossPolo testing. EDIT: Now launched. Would you buy one?

Here is a pic of what could be the Volkswagen CrossPolo. A test mule was caught testing early today at Chakan, off Pune. Volkswagen has put its plans to produce the Up in India on hold. And thus, for the next two years, the carmaker plans to appeal to the market here and shore up demand by introducing variants of its existing Polo and Vento. And first up in VW’s scheme is the CrossPolo – the hatchback off-roader.

post-7692-0-71983000-1368091621_thumb.jp

The CrossPolo, with its rugged off-road kit, trumps any regular hatch in terms of looks. Knowing the Indian customer’s fondness for off-roader appearances, this design should spell success for the manufacturer. The all-terrain looks appear tough enough to tackle Himalayan mountain roads and the ride height has been increased by around 15mm as well. A thick, matte plastic band extends across the chin, the flanks and around the rear. The wheel arches get the same treatment and there’s a scuff plate with a dull silver finish. The CrossPolo also gets silver anodised roof rails where up to 75kg of luggage can be mounted and secured. A silver diffuser at the rear and big 17-inch wheels complete the off-roader look.

post-7692-0-01316600-1368092581.jpg

There could even be a tailgate-mounted spare wheel on the Indian CrossPolo, lending it even more SUV flair. And since the spare wheel isn’t counted as part of the car’s length, the car will still enjoy the sub-four-metre excise duty benefits. The empty spare wheel well under the boot floor could be used to house a toroidal CNG cylinder. Yes, a CNG option is also likely.

post-7692-0-76784600-1368092585.jpg

The CrossPolo is likely to be the first recipient of VW’s made-for-India 1.5-litre four-cylinder diesel engine. If VW prices the CrossPolo cleverly and packs it with enough kit, it could crack open an interesting niche.

Spy pic source: Indiancarsbikes.in

Oh finally!

Now since the TSI is out, this seems the next Polo variant to hit our shores. I just hope this doesnt turn out to be like the Fabia Scout which is even rarer than a "Lamborghini Gallardo" on our roads :P

VW should give it a better stance (more height, width and GC) than regular Polo along with tailgate mounted spare wheel and they as well can call it a mini SUV and compete with the likes of Ford EcoSport.

To me, i think it still does not makemuch of sense as if they launch it at 7L+ price tag then there are other real tough SUVs are available in the market. Even Scorpio base start some where around 7 to 8 Lacs.

This is just a money making flop strategy from VW. Though the original Polo itself is loosing sales day by day.

Some more Spy shots of VW CrossPolo in India,

post-67-0-99246200-1368645214.jpgpost-67-0-22090700-1368645212.jpg

(Pics source: AutocarIndia)

revealing its somewhat rugged stance as compared to Regular Polo hatchback, reminds me of Palio Adventure in its cross-over treatment.

IMHO, Its still a great option if offered with 1.2 TSi 6-speed Manual & 1.6 TDi Diesel engine(from Vento).

Yes very similar to the Palio Adventure but missing the Adventure kit that came with it , Bullbar , Fog Lamps , its station wagon looks.

Knowing how VW prices its products ,Its bound to be on the expensive side

I am sure they must have thought of a 8L+ figure for its price , people could get a Duster and EcoSport in that kind of money why will someone buy this then.

What an average Indian will want (more often than not) is 1) Fuel efficiency 2) Comfort 3) Safety and then comes performance etc..

So an Ertiga will prove to be a better buy than the CrossPolo because of the price factor and mainly space! For me the CrossPolo just falls under the premium VW badging and there's nothing that I see which is a standout! x)

The Cross Polo is the same size as a standard VW Polo and currently has a length of 3970mm compared to the Ertiga that is a touch longer at 4265mm with a slightly bigger wheelbase. Judged by the fact on size alone, the Ertiga could be less fuel efficient - so if citing what you term Indians want fuel efficiency, the Polo could win. If Maruti/Suzuki had a cross over based on the Swift, the Cross Polo would be its direct rival. The Polo is never going to be a rival to the Ertiga unless VW intends to import an estate version and then jack it up.

Excellent scoop. The Cross Polo looks great- with a 1.2 TSI and tailgate mounted wheel it will surely give the Ecosport a run for its money. The Ecosport has a higher bonnet giving it a more suvish feel but in all, the Polo looks good too. All depends on pricing, as the Polo itself is overpriced for what it offers. The 1.2 TSI at 8 lakhs exshowroom is too high, i would think the Cross Polo 1.2TSI at 8 lakhs still looks ok.

The Polo has sloping waist and bonnet line unlike Duster's clean straight lines, so by no means it is going to look like a Crossover let alone a SUV. Another grouse is that the grey plastic cladding would make dumb Indians feel that it is some base variant of Polo at cut price!

VW CROSS POLO: Undisguised scoop shots

post-67-0-34154500-1377017826.jpgpost-67-0-59311500-1377017824.jpg

Bit of added muscle to the cute chic by VW.

Powertrain remains the same, i.e 1.2, 3-cylinder TDi from regular Polo hatch.

However the Interior seems to be have changed in lines with Sporty crossover theme. These are all black now. Seats also sports black fabric.

post-67-0-07541900-1377017821.jpgpost-67-0-72862700-1377017822.jpg

(Pics source: Autocar India)

Edited by dr_nishu

Found some more info on the CrossPolo. According to the source the Cross Polo will cost Rs. 65,000 more than the Polo TDI Highline (ex-Showroom prices). It will come to around Rs. 70,000 more on road.

Some features listed in addition to the Highline are

• New “Cross” grille with chrome accent
  • New “Cross” bumpers, front and rear with silver accents
  • Black covers for the wheel arches
  • Black side cladding
  • Silver roof rails
  • New “Cross” decals on rear doors
  • New design 15″ alloy wheels
  • Silver painted door wing mirror housing
  • Superior “Livon” Titanium black upholstery

Specs of the CrossPolo

• Length – 3,987mm (3,970mm)
  • Height – 1,474mm with Roof Rails (1,453mm)
  • Width – 1,698mm (1,682mm)
  • Wheelbase – 2,456mm (2,456mm)
  • Ground clearance – 168mm (168mm) - Yes, there is no increase in ground clearance!
  • Tires – 185/60 R15 (185/60 R15 for Highline variants)
  • Only 3 exterior color options – Flash Red, Deep Black, Reflex Silver

Some pics

post-9756-0-66710200-1377152651_thumb.jppost-9756-0-26743200-1377152654_thumb.jppost-9756-0-25390600-1377152656.jpgpost-9756-0-64441100-1377152658_thumb.jppost-9756-0-18054700-1377152661_thumb.jppost-9756-0-81784700-1377152663_thumb.jppost-9756-0-97389400-1377152665_thumb.jppost-9756-0-30170700-1377152668_thumb.jppost-9756-0-45926700-1377152670_thumb.jppost-9756-0-49624100-1377152672_thumb.jp

Source: IndianAutosblog

Improved Rear seat legroom with increased wheelbase is a big plus for this Cross Polo.

However added body claddings will make mini/compact SUV lovers to consider it to their buying lists.

True that but the 1.2 liter diesel motor is noisy and underpowered. The car needed the 1.6 motor from the Vento.

Does it even have limited off-road capabilities? Otherwise I don't see the point in getting one of these. It's one issue, giving a hatchback a styling similar to an SUV, and another, making it actually perform like one. Instead of getting a Polo that only looks like an SUV and doesn't perform like one, I'd prefer to get a real SUV at that price or a regular Polo for less. I don't expect it to compete with the Duster and Ecosport on dirt tracks.

VW should promote the Polo TSi instead, as that's a more interesting car. I'm also looking forward to the Golf, which makes more sense than the Vento in our cities.

True that but the 1.2 liter diesel motor is noisy and underpowered. The car needed the 1.6 motor from the Vento.

Again, it happened due to excise duty restrictions & we need to wait till their 1.5 TDi engines becomes ready for production.

Else for promoting it as Compact SUV alternative, it can be offered with 1.6 TDi engine from Vento also as an option.

Rather than keeping it as variant, VW could've easily projected it as a different car from regular Polo with 3 engine options like 1.2 TDi, 1.6 TDi & 1.2 TSi with both DSG & Manual gearbox options, as it features different Exterior & Interior looks as well as dimensions.

Or we might see such thing to happen in India in near future, if cross polo gets good market response.

This whole cost-increased-due-to-excise-on-big-engine calls for the question- how much is VW's profit-per-unit on the Polo? Or a profit percent? I feel there is some amount of profiteering on the whole VW brand here. Surely they can add the 1.6L from the Vento on this car and sell more? The engine is surely better, and mileage is hardly compromised. I feel it's not so much the excise duty on the engine as it is the aim of maximising profit by cutting costs. If they added this engine, VW would have sold a lot more, because their customer base is a lot better informed than your average Maruti/Tata/Daewoo/Hyundai buyer.

No company would leak the figure of profit per unit. VW could have had used 1.6L and could enjoy economy of scales as same engine is used by Vento and the Skoda counterpart