plainman007

Need suggestions. Buying a 2nd owner ford icon flair, 2004 model.

Hi Guys,

Ive been an avid user of maruti cars for the past 20 years. Owed 6 Zens and now, a Zen, an Eeco and a Nano.

I have never bought a 2nd hand car before and lack experience in that avenue.

Im planning to buy a used Ford Icon, Flair, 2004 Model, Driven 46,000 Kms.

I inspected the vehicle and the body seems decent and newish. Its still got the orginal factory paint. But for small parking scratches etc on the bumpers theres nothing i can see obviously wrong with the body.

I have no experience with Fords and want to ask all of you of if this is a reasonable buy at the final negotiated price of Rs.1 lac.

The vehicle seemed ok to drive. Smooth engine. One touch start. But i could only drive it at 10kmph inside an apartment because of heavy traffic on the outside unsuitable for a test drive. The brake pedal was extremely hard.

I mean it wouldnt depress and had a wooden grip feel which makes it feel as if your driving without any brake drums. Theres no grip. It just slides and then slows down without a firm immediate response. The owner says its just a problem with the brake oil flow and he will get this fixed before delivery if im taking the car.

I also asked local prominent brand service station if they will do a bumper to bumper check on the vehicle before i buy it and they agreed.

Now this vehicle will primarily be used by my wife who is a first time driver and has just learned to drive. We were on the lookout for a car within a lac for her as a first time car since our cars are all brand new.

What are your opinions on this scenario ? Your suggestions would help me a lot in my decision.

Thanks

I wonder why theres not even an edit button available to correct typos and other errors ? Kindly pardon my typographical/grammatical errors if any.

I just wanted to add that this is the Petrol version and that we are buying this because the other cars at home are impeccable in every sense of the word and we wouldnt want to see them scratched etc.

Also are ford icons very troublesome and do they cost too much to maintain or for parts replacement ?

Well if you have a budget of one lakh why dont you look around for a used Zen. The cars are bulletproof and since its a Maruti you are assured of hassle free ownership

But if you do want to get this Ikon do the full check up at the dealer as you mentioned. Fords are expensive to maintain compared to the Japanese

Buy a Zen or put some more and you will get a Wagon R or Estilo for 1.5-1.6 lakh. Else if you are tight on budget, ie Rs 1 lakh then try looking for an Alto 1.1 VX, it will be old but will be good fun to drive and reliable.

Stay away from Old Ford cars, specifically Ford Ikon previous versions.

Those are not much reliable, are expensive to maintain as well as to drive due to their low fuel efficiency.

No doubt, Ford car are really fun & interesting to drive as compared to Maruti, hyundai or even Honda & If you're really keen on buying a Ford then you can look for used Fiesta 1.6 Petrol. You can definitely get a good condition Fiesta petrol in Rs.1.5-2.0 lacs price band.

The relative(to ikon) advantages in buying Fiesta 1.6 petrol are:

-Equally fun to drive as Ikon.

-More spacious than Ikon.

-More safer than Ikon.

-More Reliable than Ikon.

-Better equipped than Ikon in terms of features & creative comforts.

-Equally fuel efficient as Ikon 1.6.

-Biggest advantage is that Fiesta is still in production in India so spare parts availability isn't an issue even at dealerships & those come at effective prices as they're very much localized here.

So, Fiesta will be a better bet than Ikon.

Btw, Stay away from any old car, which is having any serious trouble like brake issue or else, as there might be a permanent long term inexpensive solution to them.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your feedback. I think i will dump the Ford Ikon idea. From the beginning i was tuned to a maruti. There are some pretty good conditioned Maruti 800s etc. What do you feel about an 800/Santro to just learn driving for a ladyand then give away ? Would those also be good options ?

If its a Maruti 800/Wagon R/Alto etc, how old a car is ok to take ? upto 2000 model is a safe bet ?

What about Hyundai Accent, how far back a model is safe to go for ? Upto 2000 again ?

Thanks

@plainman007: Dont even think to buy a Ford...the reason I am saying this is that firstly your wife is a new driver and it is a sedan which will not provide any comfort to her in terms of parking, tackling the traffic etc....secondly, if in case you buy ikon and it needs some repair work then it would be costly affair.

Instead...look for M800, which city are you in? I have see good M800 for 1L with AC...you can get 2007/2008 model with good condition. Also you can look for a Santro it is also a realible one.

May be you won't find edit button : ) but I feel you should re-think before dumping idea of going for Ford Ikon.

Since you have budget of 1 Lac don't opt for a hatch as it won't be a satisfying experience. The experience of going for a full fledged sedan even if it is old is quite nice and also it offers lot more utility than a hatch due to big cabin and luggage space. Ultimately you feel comfortable and satisfied for what you have paid.

As per my personal experience Ford Ikon is fun to drive and quite niggle free vehicle. Only concern is to get it serviced at "Authorised Service Station" as they charge more than required amount for petty things.

If the vehicle that you have checked out is used only for city driving I feel you should re-think about your decision and should go for Ford Ikon.

The main problem I faced in the Ikon is basically of electricals (Fuse Box). The contacts under the fuse box got loose and problems in AC , central locking, head light / tail / dash light croped up. So before going for major repair get the electricals in the Ikon checked. Also coolent is directly related with Ac so if the coolent gets empty your Ac won't function (there is a sensor which senses availability of coolent).

Since Ford Ikon is an old vehicle and sold in quite good numbers so it's easy to get it repaired and serviced at local service station / repair shop, even parts are available at most of the auto parts shops at reasonable price.

Accent is also a nice option but going by overall build quality and sturdiness I would prefer Ikon over Accent.

Check for Fiat Palio and Honda City as well.

Best of Luck !

Sorry to go off topic but may i know where the edit button is, if i want to correct a post that ive just submitted a moment back ? Seems elusive or is it non existant ?

I guess you do not have permission to edit as per ACI User access right policy. Pleas refer this link http://forum.autocar...bership-ladder/

Edited by Sstar

Hi,

Yes a lot of folks are recommending the hyundai accent also as a relatively trouble free car.

Neither Petrol nor Diesel Accent are easy & cheap to maintain.

Even Hyundai's are relatively expensive to own & maintain than its Japanese rivals, like Maruti Suzuki, Honda, Toyota, etc.

Best option for used cars are Old variant Honda City (post mid 2000) variants, even Honda CIty ZX was a good car but it was much less for being a Honda City.

You can get every type of used Honda city at every price points depending upon its make year.

For Maruti Suzukis' you've quoted, I prefer used Wagon R a best option. You can come across a well maintained 2005-2006 LXi Wagon-R upto Rs.1-1.2 lacs only & even 2007 make also.

Just search it has got everything to be kept as a personal car, like:

-Easy to drive.

-Easy to maintain.

-Cheap to maintain.

-Spacious.

-Fuel efficient.

We found a 2005 model M800 which was in OK condition. The front bumper etc isnt perfectly aligned etc. But then im a perfectionist and have maintained my vehicles with immense difficulty. I remember replacing bumpers and doors to brand new ones because the original got a small dent in it and i didnt wanta tinkered door. My 10 year old zen looks just like it rolled out of the showroom till date. So maybe i cannot be appeased easily.

He's asking for 1.15 lac for the car. But might come down to about 1.05.

Would it be ok to buy ? Its not a 5 speed car. This is the 4 speed version.

We could hardly find a good Wagon R of 2005 or later within 1.3 lacs etc. Also the other honda city cars etc were qouted much more than what some of our friends here have mentioned. But maybe they pitch high to start with. But the honda city is a large car and my wife might definitely meet with some small scratches or maybe worse and replacements would cost much more than a maruti, so thats one thing to keep in mind.

Also i have another doubt. Many of the cars are all with open TO papers. Meaning the seller has got the TO signed by the previous owner and has been happily using it without implementing the name transfer for god know how long and its hard to tell transpired during that tenure. And i found this to be the case with 7 out of 10 cars. Any opinions on this please ?

Thanks

Sorry but i have to add, i also found an impeccable condition 2002 lancer. Its been maintained by a guy that loves cars obviously since i had a chat with him. Hes quoted about 1.75 lacs. Its black and the body is perfect. The boot looks clean and well maintained too. Single owner. brand new battery etc etc.

Good that you dropped the IKON idea.

So essentially you are spending all this money so that your wife learns to drive.

My suggestion:

Buy the Lancer for yourself and give any of the other cars you own to her , dont let this well maintained beauty as you put it to be play Striking Cars.