creativebala

Nissan Terrano SUV- the costlier Duster. Would you pay more for it?

3g.jpg

The Terrano will come with more significant exterior changes. The Nissan SUV will see changes to the sheet metal as well to bring the car in line with other Nissan SUVs. Going by our artist’s impressions, it could look somewhere along the lines of the X-trail. The car will come with a new bumper, tailgate, headlamps and tail-lights. The interiors however will be identical to save costs; the only difference will be the Nissan logo sitting on the steering wheel.

The badge-engineered Terrano will be launched by the end of this year.

autocarindia

pic- http://estaticos.elmundo.es

Edited by creativebala

Well considering that it will be more expensive than the Duster it better have a little more equipment to justify the price increase. Infact I feel they need to work on the interior quality because that is a sore point in the Duster. Just slapping on a Nissan badge and selling it for a higher price wont do. I for one wont pay for that.

I somehow feel Nissan is a brand you can relate to being making SUVs more than Renault so may be also for that reason they can afford to price it higher.

Regarding the pricing i feel anyway the Duster isnt available off the shelf & people were & are willing to pay a premium as high as 50k - 75k for immediate delivery (myself included i.e. before i bought the Scala) so theres no question about the sales of this variant as the demand is extremely high :)

Was watching the tele and came to know why this is being priced at a premium .

Its just that the arrangement between the two sibilings is such that the latter entrant in a market with a badge engineered product has price it at a premium , so Pulse and Scala were priced high because of this arrangement/ accordingly, they were spruced up to support the price hike , as people will not pay extra for what internal arrangement these two have but will surely pay extra if they see extra stuff on the vehicle.

Taking this forward, Terrano will thus be a bit gimicky and a bit fancy to support the increased pricing,

I will not pay extra for the same product but will pay extra for extra styling elements and equipment levels and Yes , a nice looking rear will be an added motivation , surprisingly even DC left it out on his kit

Edited to add source:

Source: Autocar Scoop with my understanding of it

Edited by librankur

So finally Renault gave the nod to Nissan for using their Dacia/Renault product but all the premium in the form of increased price over the Duster so that Duster remains the first & foremost customer priority.

Lets see how it'll fare w.r.t Duster viz EcoSport viz Terrano.

Was watching the tele and came to know why this is being priced at a premium .

Its just that the arrangement between the two sibilings is such that the latter entrant in a market with a badge engineered product has price it at a premium , so Pulse and Scala were priced high because of this arrangement/ accordingly, they were spruced up to support the price hike , as people will not pay extra for what internal arrangement these two have but will surely pay extra if they see extra stuff on the vehicle.

Taking this forward, Terrano will thus be a bit gimicky and a bit fancy to support the increased pricing,

I will not pay extra for the same product but will pay extra for extra styling elements and equipment levels and Yes , a nice looking rear will be an added motivation , surprisingly even DC left it out on his kit

Edited to add source:

Source: Autocar Scoop with my understanding of it

Hi librankur,

You are right that, there is an agreement between the two companies on pricing of shared products, but differs from your analogy of it. The arrangement is that the products of the original manufacturer will be priced higher, irrespective of whenever they enter the market.

This translates in the fact that the products like Scala and Pulse are all Renault original products and hence are priced higher than Nissan counterparts and vice-versa. :)

The real truth & our anticipation so far.

Our Anticipation:

Renault is a premium brand of the two (similar to VW-Skoda story), so any car coming out of it will bear premium price tag.

Real Truth:

Who begs the other, has to keep the price high, so that the real owner is benefited.

Going by this logic, I expect a super good Terrano from Nissan as they have immense experience in designing SUV and from previous experience, who ever design second, can take note of all the earlier mistake & design very good looking car.

By this logic, Micra is good looking, Pulse is better. Similarly Sunny is OK, Scala is wow. This logic gets applied only till Terrano, as no more badge engineering in this family.

Well considering that it will be more expensive than the Duster it better have a little more equipment to justify the price increase. Infact I feel they need to work on the interior quality because that is a sore point in the Duster. Just slapping on a Nissan badge and selling it for a higher price wont do. I for one wont pay for that.

+1

More leg room on the rear bench.

I would, even consider buying one the first week if it was launched if they did something about the heavy clutch. Its just not practical to be driven on the city roads in day to day traffic. A hydraulic release bearing in the clutch with a slave and master cylinder is all it takes to make it feather light, what is taking Renault all this while to incorporate is beyond me. I hope Nissan takes some 'people's reviews' and does the needful.

CB, nice point raised by you. The way I look at it:

To begin with Renault Duster has seen some huge price escalations & is by no means a VFM buy anymore. Top versions are competing with the likes of XUV & Innova. Both of which are a class larger.

Now enter Eco-Sport, hope Ford prices this vehicle well, if it manages to do that, this vehicle shall dictate the future course of action on Duster's pricing. If Ford undercuts Duster's price by a considerable margin, I see a price cut on Duster or Renault may go about it in a way most other Companies go i.e. deep discounts.

Coming to yet to come Nissan "Duster", any over-ambitious pricing will put it out of contention from the word go. Is Nissan in a place for that? No, because its present breed is not doing good on the sales front, the last thing they would need is a dud new launch.

What I expect Renault-Nissan to do, cut Renault Duster's pricing to the level at which it was introduced. This will give Nissan the much needed breathing space to price Nissan Duster at a little premium.

Coming to "will I buy an expensive Duster" ? It will depend on what extra is offered. If its just some cosmetic changes, count me out. But if the changes are skin deep, I might be game!

What I would like to see in Nissan's Duster? ABS in base variants, Better insulation & plastics. This is just to start with, rest will follow... :D