PrancingHorse

Pic: Toyota Camry hybrid testing in India.. Will it work? EDIT: Now launched

post-7692-0-81821700-1371117664.jpg

Read the news yesterday on ACI that Toyota is planning to launch the Camry Hybrids have never really found success in India. The Civic didnt sell when the price was high but as soon as the priced was dropped it was lapped up. The Prius didnt find any takers. I have hardly seen one or two around. And now this. Here is pic of the car testing in Bangalore. According to the source, the car was super silent and the badges were covered which gives it away that it is indeed an hybrid. Approx price mentioned in the ACI story was 36 lakhs. Do you think it will work? I dont thik hybrids have a future in India until the Govt. does something to give tax reliefs to these kind of cars.

Here is the pic

post-7692-0-00090600-1371117629_thumb.jp

Spy pic source: Team BHP

Camry hybrid will cost around 40% more than petrol one, so the cost will be too high.

But i think Toyota is anyway not eyeing volumes yet. They are working towards NEMMP 2020 and working with vendors to have high localisation of components.

They see hybrid as a viable mass volume alternative to diesel in long run.

Toyota being pioneer in hybrid technology will certainly give them that initial head start advantage.

IMHO, Toyota can just sell Innova & Fortuner. In one end they bring in hi-tech products and see no sales( Prius & LC) and at other, they bring used thrash tin( Etios twins) and prices it higher. O doing both, they are denting their image.

Think of a Toyota that sells just Innova & Fortuner, better sales, short delivery time & better AfSS.

The concept of alternative fuel is yet to be accepted in the country. Diesels have very recently got acceptance in India, five years ago the only common man diesel one could think of was the sluggish Indica ,Indigo line up. Today there is a host of products available with the diesel option.

Diesels are priced higher than the petrol - people still buy it because its cheaper on the longer run.

However if the price difference is more than 40% of the car's value people might still go in for the diesel variant.

I've personally seen just one Prius in Mumbai till date.

Toyota says its planning to assemble the Hybrid Camry in its Bangalore facility in India, which will automatically reduce its price.

Hope its able to get it an increased customer base as they suspect.

That all said ,as pointed out above Prius is not cheap @31.4L (Delhi) for its Z6 variant so if it has sold only 175 units since its launch in 2010 ,this one at 36L is going to have a harrowing time for itself for sure, considering its a whole 12L over the existing one. I mean you could get an Altis in between.

Too pricey in my opinion considering there are other diesel alternatives priced cheaper. India has still not woken up to hybrid tech. This might work one day if hybrids are given benefits by the govt like reduced taxes.