Richie Rich

Which is the best entry level sedan?

Don't think the Vento qualifies as an entry level sedan. In my opinion, the options we have for an entry level sedan are as follows:

1. Maruti Suzuki Dezire
  2. Honda Amaze
  3. Chevrolet Sail
  4. Tata Indigo
  5. Mahindra Verito

Of the above listed cars, I feel the Dezire and Amaze are equally good and most compelling products. Given a choice and being a Honda fan, I would pick the Amaze, but that’s just me.

The Vento, Rapid, City, Linea etc. are premium compact mid-size sedans with on-road prices of base versions starting upwards of 7 lacs.

Neither Vento, nor Rapid are part of Entry Sedan Cars

The choices are - Amaze, Etios, Dzire, Indigo Ecs, Manza too with pricing

I feel Tata Manza is the best pick with its diesel engine available at much lower price these days

Well, I am planning to buy one of these. And I tend not to discuss every little detail as I am not very well aware. So, simply, I asked which one is worth buying... So, it will be great if you guys could guide me through the pros and cons. Thanks in advance.. :)

Hi Richie! We often tend to look at features which seldom get used while buying a car. Prior to buying a car, it is very important that we create a list of things we want our newbie to have and then sort the list in the order of preference. To make a case in point, somebody who does not travel on the back seat or does not have more than two occupants in the car most of times should not give much preference to the rear cabin space and comfort. For such a person, a good driver/ co-passenger comfort should take precedence over rear space.

The reason why I am writing this is because I would suggest you to discuss and introspect the key parameters forming key to your buying decision. Once finalized in the order of preference, the next step would be to test all the cars in the list above and see which one ticks the maximum boxes.

In terms of my experience, I test drove the Amaze and found it a very convincing product. The same goes for the Dezire too. I have never driven the Sail, Indigo, and the Verito but have sat in the latter two and both of them didn’t disappoint in terms of rear seat comfort. I am listing down some of the pros’ and cons’ for the Amaze and Dezire which I noticed:

Honda Amaze

Pros’

1. Amazing cabin space
  2. Amazing claimed fuel economy
  3. Good boot space considering it’s a sub 4 meter sedan
  4. Inspirational brand value

Cons’

1. Over simplistic dash design and quality
  2. Little noisy interiors when compared to Dezire
  3. Absence of a decent music system

Maruti Suzuki Dezire

Pros’

1. Great look and feel of dash
  2. Good tried and tested fuel economy
  3. Access to the best after sales/ service network in the country

Cons’

1. Cramped boot when compared to competition
  2. Unenthusiastic exterior design (the Swift looks a whole lot better than its sedan sibling)
  3. Un-inspirational brand value

In the end, listen to your heart, follow your mind, but do what your wife tells you to do (pun intended). Happy Buying! J

Go for either Dzire or Amaze.

Being a newbie, Rather than focussing more on no. of features, try to buy a car with ABS atleast as it's the important safety feature which one must need in his car for safe highway & drives.

I think Honda Amaze is the one that I will choose because of the simple reason that it offers more or less the same features as the premium sedan, and for lesser price. It is a no-brainer for a common man...

Firstly the word entry sedan in now over-rated Amaze and Dzire though are sedan (as in body type) but their space is comparable to hatchbacks. According to me real sedan is the D segment (Civic,Accord,Elantra,Jetta,Laura etc) entry level sedans are Verna, Vento etc .

These Amaze and Dzire are Psuedo sedans and if one wants big car fell they will be dissappointed. i20 ,Vista ,Punto etc premium hatchback have more cabin space (I mean good headroom) and legroom though with a little lesser boot space. The dynamics of these sedan is at par with hatchbacks. Though of the 3 psuedo sedan the Amaze is better though not by much.

If money is not an issue the Vento/Rapid is better than the others in engines, dynamics, space and comparable features.

If you want a no-nonsense car and peace of mind, go for DZire.

While Amaze is the closest competitor.

If you are looking purely from the value for money perspective than Manza diesel would be the best buy.

Agreed it has a very simple design and not the most stylish or futuristic, but then DZire or Etios cant also be called the best lookers. Trust me it gives the best space, good ride and handling, good fuel efficiency and some good features.

People will argue about the After sales service of Tata, but then it is ever-improving under the new management and the reliability of the current Generation Vista , Manza is definitely superior than the old Indicas and Indigos.

I would suggest you take your time and test-drive all the above listed vehicles, like Dzire, Amaze, Etios, Sail, Manza. I would not put M&M Verito in the list only because there are better options available for that price.