freakyskull

Is Maruti's XA Alpha compact SUV coming soon and can it take on the Ford EcoSport?

The XA Alpha concept was showcased by Maruti at last years Auto Expo. After that there hadnt been any news on the car but now there is word that the compact SUv might be coming this year. The EcoSport has taken the market by storm so perhaps Maruti wants to launch this car soon. Hopefully the production version looks as good as the concept. Anyone here has more info on this?

Info source: Motorbeam

post-9757-0-16721000-1375337834.jpg

I would be very surprised if Maruti launches this so soon. but yes... you never know and if this happens, then I see a lot of EcoSport buyers shying away from Ford Dealerships and forming a queue outside the Maruti Outlets.

I doubt this very much, but it will be a very pleasant surprise if Maruti launches it this year.

There have been no test mules spotted anywhere in India to support it.

But again i think Maruti doesn't test their cars on road

Surprised to see MotorBeam saying this SUV will be launched in 2013 (which means within 4 months)

Lets wait & watch.

Edited by F30

I doubt this very much, but it will be a very pleasant surprise if Maruti launches it this year.

There have been no test mules spotted anywhere in India to support it.

But again i think Maruti doesn't test their cars on road

Maruti doesn't test their cars on road??? Yes. I am quite sure that this is not going to be here at least till end of 2014!

This can surely take the EcoSport head on. The Ford already has a long waiting list and it comes soon, then lots of buyers are sure to go the Maruti way. Maruti already has the engines too. The 1.3 diesel and prob the 1.4 petrol should work perfectly in this compact SUV. And hopefully they bring in an AT as well.

Maruti doesn't test their cars on road??? Yes. I am quite sure that this is not going to be here at least till end of 2014!

Maruti Suzuki doesn’t test its vehicles on the roads and ARAI officials come to the company’s Gurgaon plant for the certification.

Read more at http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/maruti-xaalpha/maruti-suzuki-to-launch-xa-alpha-in-2013/#CfTPRbQG9TU7vXZj.99

I think Maruti is going to be give this big surprise during Diwali festival season this year (like the way they did for the Alto 800). So to me, I would not be too surprised if they go in this direction.

If the looks of the Concept car are retained in the Production version, this will be a runaway success! With SUVs sales multiplying year after year in India, if Maruti is not bringing this SUV in to the market, there is something seriously wrong with Maruti's assessment of the market!

i just booked ecosport and pressurized the dealer for a quick delivery, but then declined as i heard rumours of this car being launched nr diwali. and yes the gamble might pay off, for waiting till the monsoon gets over would be good, lso if this car comes i'll cancel my booking and get this one. anyday better service thn those thieves at ford and yeah, genes of swift ad gypsy, and the proven 1.3 mjd(my swift has clocked 1.4lac already on this) and trust of a maruti. i wouldnt even mind payin 50k premium for this.

No way this is coming before diwali. Maruti would have 100% percent done a teaser if it was going to be launched anywhere this year or early 2014. Even an early 2014 launch is unlikely as Indian financial year would start from April 2014 onwards. A good guess would be Mid 2014 in my opinion.

Edited by vr.46

XA Alpha will most likely come in 2015 (or may be late 2014 but that is optimistic). Definitely not coming this diwali. In fact the SUV Based on Sx4 (SX4 crossover) might hit the Indian market first if the XA alpha launch delays to 2015.

Since XA Alpha, unlike other Suzuki models which Maruti brings in India, was a concept showcased in auto Expo 2012, the concept to production ready vehicle definitely takes time. Also in the above posts I read Maruti doesn't test cars on roads, but ARAI officials come to the factory, but that is testing only for the ARAI certificate, what about the vehicle itself ? It has to undergo lot of tests and validations before even coming to the stage for ARAI test ready car.

Currently MSIL focus is to test two of their own creation diesel engine so that they can say bye bye to FIAT MJD 1.3 diesel engine.

As per my close source in MSIL itself, maruti's first plan is to introduce 1L Wagon R diesel with 3 cylinder engine. Currently, MSIL is testing these engines in Gurgaon plant.

So by calculations, XA-Alpha would not come before mid 2014.

well watch this space ladies and gentleman. 2 new cars by maruti by this diwali(max by year end). most like launches are xa-alpha and sx4 crossover. as all other segments are expired/non lucrative so going by all permutations combinations these 2 are the hot cakes. and they dint even showcased swift or its teaser before the launch. remember? just 15 days before the launch they expose it to competition.and this time now the news is still under wraps.

fingers crossed.

From last six months, Maruti is Silent “May b a silence before Storm ".. Like is previous launches Maruti plan will remain same to launch new product around Diwali. So we can expect something new by Nov 2013.

It ll be beneficial for maruti, if it wanna to eat a major share of Renault, Nissan & ForD Eco.

Success will be on Maruti Side if it keep its pricing in tune with Ecosoprts...

i would like to upgrade My i20 to this new hot bird.

Styling will be the crucial element for this Maruti Compact SUV. Lets see how maruti fares on this car, unlike their average looking Ertiga & pathetic looking Alto 800 crop.

Other tit-bits & interiors parts will probably be shared with other family crop of cars.

Edited by dr_nishu

The Suzuki iv4 SUV looks like the XUV500 to me. Especially when viewed from the front quarter. Also I feel that this will be around 15 lakhs rupees. I do not know whether this or the XA Alpha will make it to Indian shores.