Sign in to follow this  
BMWfanatic

Importing Alloys for Ecosport from Europe

HI

I got a call from ford and I shall get my Ford Ecosport Tit. (O) on 10th August. As a part of the panned upgrades, One big one is alloy wheels.

I am looking for 17" wheels (+1 sizing) and changing the tyres to 215/55/17.

It is a 4 bold 108 PCD pattern and there arent much options in india. If few dealers have the wheels, the offsets are far from the stock offset.

If i am not wrong Ecosport wheels are 16", 4x108 PCD, ET38 (Same as fiesta, as they are giving 15" fiesta alloy as accessory for base models)

So I have decided to import wheels from UK.

I am looking at brands like OZ, MSW , MOMO etc.

I calculated and the prices will be same or slightly cheaper post customs if I import wheels than buying from india. Also I get peace of mind of them being original.

I'll import the tyres along with wheels as this size is slightly rare.

Tyres shortlisted are Goodyear Efficient Grip (How are they?)

I like the MSW type 20 4H wheels. I am still looking and need inputs on what to buy and how to go about it.

Also if any one is interested in buying set of 5 stock ecosport alloys from me (with tyres)( with Zero miles on them):P please let me know.

Thanks

Hi there

Good to see that you are getting your new EcoSport. I think our fellow member F30 should be able to help you out. He recently imported tyres for his 328i. He should be able to guide you.

Looking forward to a detailed ownership report from you.

I know the Ecosport is new and the alloy size is awkward than others in the segment but before importing alloys , wait for 3 months because the aftermarket soon catched up with these alloy sizes if the car is popular which the Ecosport is bound to be. Trust me I know how difficult it is to source a 16 inch alloys with 100PCD 4 holes for my car but then there are few option nowadays which weren't there when I bought my car .

Ideally importing 17 inch alloys and tyres will cost minimum of 65k and also remember you will have to have 5 new alloys and tyres because the spare in hung on the boot. Anyways you will get a good buy back of the current alloys because the OE alloys have good demand. So even if you use them for 10-15k kms people will still pay good price for it.

Thanks

I checked for specifications. Ecosport wheels are same as fiesta (all new). its 4x108. and ET38. it is confirmed because all new fiesta alloys are sold as accessories for ecosport base models.

@rssh : (go vettel !!)Thanks for the advice. I checked, wheels+tyres will cost me about 1.4 lacs (woah! i know) for brands like OZ. i know its better to wait, but anyway, oz are super expensive in india. i shall verify perimeters before closing the deal. ( i was quoted 1.1 lacs for oz wheels(5) with wrong offsets in india without tyres)

How much do you think my current ecosport wheels would sell for? (all 5 wheels with tyres intact (brand new))

I am looking at MSW wheels by OZ as well. tyre size is also awkward, its available abroad.

How is Goodyear Efficient Grip?

Any further suggestions :)

For goodyear efficient you need to check european blogs and forums for reviews.

The stock alloys aren't available as an accessory and the Fiesta 15inch alloys costs 35k for 5 set at the dealer level (will be much lower in aftermarket) so expect the OE ones to value about 40k while selling.

MSW look great which design did you like

http://www.ozracing.com/car_wheels_brands/MSW.aspx

Though I think its crazy to invest in that much amount on alloys for a car costing 10 lakhs.

Going in for 17 inch alloys in an awkward size is (that too with 4 nuts) the choice is really limited and it will be expensive. Also most 17 inch tyres will cost a bomb to buy/replace expect upwards of 10k per tyre.

Also if you are importing tyres then buy one with strong sidewall because given our pathetic state of roads one can easily tear a sidewall and the sidewall is prone to more failure in lower profile setup if it lands heavily in a pothole. And importing the same tyre spec size will be a Pain.

My recommendation is still to wait for a few months may be you will start liking the stock design.

For goodyear efficient you need to check european blogs and forums for reviews.

The stock alloys aren't available as an accessory and the Fiesta 15inch alloys costs 35k for 5 set at the dealer level (will be much lower in aftermarket) so expect the OE ones to value about 40k while selling.

MSW look great which design did you like

http://www.ozracing....brands/MSW.aspx

Though I think its crazy to invest in that much amount on alloys for a car costing 10 lakhs.

Going in for 17 inch alloys in an awkward size is (that too with 4 nuts) the choice is really limited and it will be expensive. Also most 17 inch tyres will cost a bomb to buy/replace expect upwards of 10k per tyre.

Also if you are importing tyres then buy one with strong sidewall because given our pathetic state of roads one can easily tear a sidewall and the sidewall is prone to more failure in lower profile setup if it lands heavily in a pothole. And importing the same tyre spec size will be a Pain.

My recommendation is still to wait for a few months may be you will start liking the stock design.

Thanks

I understand what you are saying. I buy what you said and will wait for the upgrade :).

Thanks alot

BUT BUT I really want to upgrade :P, nevermind.. I'll stick with stock then..

In MSW , i like type 20 4 stud pattern.. its pretty neat and fitted to countless fiestas abroad.. I like the titanium finish.. You are right, not worth it investing over a lakh for a 10 lakh rupee car, but If I trade in my OE wheels and tyres, i might have to spend about 60k only, total.. WHAT SAY?

@ BMWfanatic - Where are you importing your wheels from ? Any website ? Or you have a supplier friend ?

Also regarding tires, id suggest look @ Michelin Defender series (they are ideal for small SUVs & crossovers)

PS - Also note OZ & MOMO brand rims are available in India, Why import ?

@ BMWfanatic - Where are you importing your wheels from ? Any website ? Or you have a supplier friend ?

Also regarding tires, id suggest look @ Michelin Defender series (they are ideal for small SUVs & crossovers)

PS - Also note OZ & MOMO brand rims are available in India, Why import ?

Hi F30

I am looking at performancealloys.com

They have the best shipping rates to india. And I calculated.. Buying from INDIA or importing will cost almost the same (actually slightly cheaper when importing, I guess, if my calculations are correct.)

Anyway, thing is I have much more options abroad with range of offsets to choose from.

An indian dealer was forcing me to go for ET25, whereas the actual offset is 38. Abroad I am getting ET40 for the same wheel.

About tyres, OEM size is 205/60/16 , I plan to go for 215/55/17 , difference is less than 2.5%

Only tyre option in india was Michelin PLC. Abroad I have many with CPC2, CPC5, Goodyear efficient grip/ excellance, Pirelli Cinturato P7 etc. Which one do you suggest in these, U being the tyre guru. :P

Hi F30

I am looking at performancealloys.com

They have the best shipping rates to india. And I calculated.. Buying from INDIA or importing will cost almost the same (actually slightly cheaper when importing, I guess, if my calculations are correct.)

Anyway, thing is I have much more options abroad with range of offsets to choose from.

An indian dealer was forcing me to go for ET25, whereas the actual offset is 38. Abroad I am getting ET40 for the same wheel.

PerformanceAlloys has shipping to India ? Dont seem to be mentioned on their website though, id suggest email their sales guy directly for better response.

About tyres, OEM size is 205/60/16 , I plan to go for 215/55/17 , difference is less than 2.5%

Only tyre option in india was Michelin PLC. Abroad I have many with CPC2, CPC5, Goodyear efficient grip/ excellance, Pirelli Cinturato P7 etc. Which one do you suggest in these, U being the tyre guru. :P

^ All the above tires suggested by you are "CAR" tires, Ecosport being a crossover/SUV i'd suggest something more rugged from the Yokohama stable, like the Geolander H/T or may be Bridgestone Dueler H/T

PerformanceAlloys has shipping to India ? Dont seem to be mentioned on their website though, id suggest email their sales guy directly for better response.

^ All the above tires suggested by you are "CAR" tires, Ecosport being a crossover/SUV i'd suggest something more rugged from the Yokohama stable, like the Geolander H/T or may be Bridgestone Dueler H/T

This is too confusing. The tires mentioned by you arent available in my size. Anyway, all this is turning out to be very expensive and doing more damage than good..

Now if we skip the importing part and I stick to OEM rims (16").. Suppose I get MRF wheels from FOrd, then what change do you recommend..

I am so deep into this wheel switch stuff that I shall change something in my car than nothing :P else it would be too frustrating :P :P

I understand your plight ,you want an exclusivity with your ride and even I would have changed the alloys if I were you. F30 is explanings that the Ecosport should have HT/AT tyres because it suits Ecosport's character more. But you can always fit normal road tyres (like the yeti has OE) to Ecosport.

I know the waiting for new car's delivery is a pain . Why not offset this pain by looking into some accessories add-ons in the aftermarket. See if changing the colour of the OE alloys changes it to your liking on photoshop!

I understand your plight ,you want an exclusivity with your ride and even I would have changed the alloys if I were you. F30 is explanings that the Ecosport should have HT/AT tyres because it suits Ecosport's character more. But you can always fit normal road tyres (like the yeti has OE) to Ecosport.

I know the waiting for new car's delivery is a pain . Why not offset this pain by looking into some accessories add-ons in the aftermarket. See if changing the colour of the OE alloys changes it to your liking on photoshop!

I have always loved gunmetal alloys, In BRAZIL the same alloy (OE) is also sold in graphite shade, but india gets only silver.

Planned upgrades:

1. Upgrade to 17 inch wheels (God!)

2. Illuminated scuffplates (Ford)

3. Teflon coating

4. Rear wheel cover (If i stick to OE wheels)

5. Ambient Light (Ford)

6. Sport Pedals (Ford)

7. Head lights and fog lights upgrade ( To white light bulbs) ( I Have no idea about this and have to start researching. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED :)

Thanks

You can always powder-coat the OE alloys to any shade you want for a price of 5k for 5 alloys. For white light you will should try the OSRM nightbreaker + with 100W output with a relay wiring. I have read that the OE headlight are a bit weak (just like the Figo).

Also forget Teflon coating its just not effective go for 3M underbody anti-rust treatment.

Don't even think of it. You shall loose your warrenty ! Ecosport has pathetic suspensions and a 17er will mean harsher ride quality!

You can swap for similar size alloys but do not upgrade.

Acc. to ford Headlight upgrade if done outside dealership will again void your warrenty.

Edited by sarabjeet

Thanks for the feedback everyonr

@ F30: A/T wheels do look butch. I shall research and try comparing them with car tyres to see if i loose anything ( road noise, comfort etc.). What size do you recommend F30?

@rssh: Yes, I will get the underbody treatment done, Thanks. I shall speak with the dealer and try asking hime about warranty before upgrading but I shall keep these night breakers in mind :)

@sarabjeet: Thanks, I have decided not to upgrade the alloys as of now, The OE is design is pretty good for 16 inches and no point changing them to retain the size. I shall verify the warranty issues with the dealer first

Guys

These has been an interesting development. My brother got a call from Skoda Delhi today and the SA offered him a flat cash discount of 3 lacs on any laura model (2012 make). Now this puts the base diesel model( 2.0 TDi Ambition) very close to ecosport. ( about 2.8 lacs difference)

We were discussing it and could not conclude what to buy. Money is not an issue and we are also few of the lucky ones to get an ecosport this early, giving it up would mean insanity to few :|)

Ecosport is new whereas laura is old (soon be replaced) but from a segment above. so more comfortable and powerful.

As he shall be driving alone he dosent mind any car. First it was like "Laura!! so many on road, so old.. not special but after a few minutes, it was like by the end of this year, there will be more ecosports on road, HAHA :) )

Its almost final to go for the new car (ES) but but just incase "should we give laura a second look"

( Incase of laura, we would look at the Automatic Ambition mostly, would cost about 4.5 lacs more, again this is just an idea as of now, lets see how it goes)

Help PLEASE !!!