AllanF

Whether to Duke or not to Duke!

I'm looking to buy a new motorcycle and i'm interested in the Duke 390. But i'm a novice rider and i'm worried that the 390 will be too much to handle for me. Should i go for the Duke 200 instead or just get the Duke 390? Will the Duke 390 suit a novice rider like me?

See AllanF, as you are a novice in the category the first thing you must know is that such street bikes are made for extreme performance and hence need to be handled very carefully. If you do not own any experience of street biking then you must not opt for such a high end bike. Although Duke 390 & 200 are very user friendly bikes but they still need an experienced hand over them. The best solution goes with the opinion that you must opt for a smaller displacement bike like a TVS Apache 180 RTR or a Pulsar 220 can be good as a starter. But, if you are keen on buying a Duke then go for 390 as it's the best thing you can have till now, on roads from Duke!

My friend's younger brother also had the same dilemma so they called me up to solve their problem. I went to the showroom and test drove the Duke 390 and as i returned the first thing i said to him was "BOOK IT!!!" The machine is just awesome. I have driven Suzuki Hayabusa many times (my brother owns it) and the Duke showed same characteristics on road. From red light to red light drag race there was nothing that could touch it. On the highway it behaved like a proper semi cruiser. The riding position. braking, handling, ride quality, bike quality, reliability are just fantastic.

So, at last, if Duke is the only priority then go for 390 because spending a few thousands extra pays a few billions in return!!

I agree with Tejen fully but even I am a novice rider and get to ride my friends various bikes (coz we don't own one -its banned :P).

I have driven the Duke 200 and its a monster because of the short gearing it feels more powerful than it is and this character may be suit everyone with instant peak power delivery .

Wereas the Duke 390 has calmer power delivery and more torque so the gear ratio are a bit taller and one can manage it better in traffic also the ABS is the added plus which should be made standard in the Duke200 too.

Buy duke 390 if you have the moolah! :D but only if you have good experience on vaious 150-200cc bikes.

Thank you tejen and rssh! I ride my friends' CBR250R and R15 from time to time and though i'm not that experienced i can control these bikes reasonably well. So, I've decided to go ahead and buy the Duke 390. The showroom says there is a waiting period of 3 months. I will book the bike soon and thanks again for your views.

Great! Congrats good decision in the end, which colour did you opt for?

Don't forget to buy a good quality helmet and running gear. Trust me a good running gear is really important if you wanna do long distance trip with friends.