librankur

Fungal Film on car interiors

Today , i saw a lot of my unused cars have developed a thin fungal film on their interiors.

Its almost everywhere , car steering wheel , door panels , dashboard , seat belts , you name it and its there.

A gentle wipe and it was gone.Perhaps an effects of the rainy season.

How to make sure it does not reappear ?

Keep it clean again and again. Park the car in sun with closed all the window or keep the heater on for longer time to get the car dry . You can polish the car once you dried the interior. Fungal come due dampness, humidity and moisture in the air.

When I first read the tiltle, i thought someone has made a movie on car interiors, :P

Anyway, Also you some disinfectant for sure.. fungal contact (Even after wipe) can cause skin infections.. Such cars are also not suitable for small kids. So Disinfect before you uses it.

i think you have not been using them for long, else it would not have been the case. You can park your car under sun for 2 4 hours and it should fix the issue.

Also, periodically, you need to clean the interior thoroughly so that any dust particle should not stay inside for long.

I have had experience with this fungus built on my previous car. The car was spic and span but I think the rear window was not rolled up completely (manual window winder) and the car was parked for 2 days in rain.

I cleaned it with wet cloth then sprayed the carpet with disinfectant and gulf neutralizer in AC vent.

Thank you all

Problem being most of the workforce is away for the festive month,car have been left at the mercy of the weather , a break-in was reported to me few days back by the person who gives them a top wash daily.

Its then that i noticed the infection setting in the said car , it just occured to me i should inspect other cars also and found rampant growth.

Will have to do something soon.A warm sponge bath for those interiors on my next visit followed by a disinfectant spray.

I can relate to what you're saying. Recently purchased a used car from a friend, faced the same issue. Then I got to know about this place at Andheri-Kurla road called Motoshines. They are brilliant with what they do.

You should go for an interior detailing service. They clean it really amazing machinery and techniques, makes it look as great as new. Won't have to visit for a year after that, trust me.

Try their website (www.motoshines.com) for starters. Totally worth it and not too expensive.

Hope it helps! :)

• librankur: Prices differ on the class of car, however the cost quoted for my friends Sunny & I20 was close to 4K including taxes in Bangalore..
  • There was no difference in price for hatchback and sedan though.

gulf neutralizer is a spray can which is used for cleaning the inner AC vent , it forms a foam which neutralizes bacteria and other micro-organisms and also removes the funny smell of AC in old cars. I used normal household disinfectant.

Wash the car interiors. Spray household vinegar all across the car, a sedan may take up to half a litre of vinegar. Wait for a minute or two and then wipe it with multiple pieces of cloth for different areas.Later leave a perfumed bar of air freshener in the car for multiple days to out do the vinegar and mold smell. This may solve your problem.