thecompro

Toyota Etios V/s Competition

Dear All,

I am planning to a Diesel Powered 3 Box Sedan in the price category of equal or less than Rs.10.5 Lakhs. For me initial investment is not a major concern whereas yes i am concerned about the recurring cost for the car.

I have shortlisted some options such as Toyota Etios VXD (SP) / Skoda Rapid Elegance TDI / Volkswagon Vento HL / Honda Amaze Top End Diesel Version.

1. Though, Etios looks to be VFM; but i am concerned about the Safety Aspect in this car as the steel used is apparently very light; if one kneels on the door, it tends to bent and i am also worried since the vehicle will be driven in Delhi NCR, some touch here and there between vehicles are bound to happen day in and day out, so will etios bear this.

2. Secondly, i am just thinking as to in case i want to spend around Rs.9 lacs worth of my hard earned money, will spending in etios be justified as the vehicle does not looks to be classy vis a vis other cars i mentioned above.

3. Also, why did toyota even after relaunching etios have failed to provide speakers in the rear of the car (though they have put four speakers that too all in front), automatic / electrical adjustment of ORVMs, no arm rest with driver or with rear sitting passengers.

4. How good is 68 ps of etios power vis a vis 100 ps of honda amaze / 105 ps of vento and rapid. What difference would it make to day to day driving. Will the car loose power in case of full occupancy of passengers or on hills.

5. While making the decision to buy, is it the right time to buy a car or should i wait for Seotember offers or Navratra - Diwali Offers.

On the other hand, the positive aspects of Toyota Etios which i found was low maintainence cost vehicle, low initial investment, good engine life, easy and comfortable spacing, easy to drive, low on noise, smooth drive.

I would request my fellow forum members to please reply asap, as i want to decide in a day or two.

See thecompro, Etios in itself is a 'Jack of all trades'. If you can get then please refer to the May 2013 issue of the Autocar magazine and go for the cover story that compared Toyota Etios with competitors (although the other vehicles didn't included the one' you mentioned above) but the overall winner was Etios deisel. That issue focused on every strenght and weakness of Etios. But, for now, trying to clear your thought's:-

1.) See, safety is a no concern for Toyota. Altough the car was made keeping VFM tag but that never allowed Toyota's engineer's to compromise on safety. The car uses a light but strong packaging. I too live in Delhi and know that driving is worse than any other city but this car have cleared all crash test and believe me it' safer than the cars say Verito & Sail. So, cut safety point of concern from the card.

2.) Spending around 8.5 lakhs on Toyota's sedan is worth it. First of all clear yourself what you are looking for. If looks is the priority than Sail is made for you but look towards this car only if you need a strict VFM car that doesn't go wrong over the time. The car is oveall perfect and not a winner in every area.

3.) Toyota too didn't want to deprive it's customers from these gadgets but the fact that Etios faces is VFM tag. The car was toyota's first production car in India that was meant for mass distribution. "Quality" tagline was kept aside to create this vehicle, thus some missing features coincide with low cost of vehicle.

4.) Judging a car on paper with only 68 ps on tap does not lead to the real judgment. On paper, tough others may win easily but it's the road which ultimately they are going to face off. Toyota always make real driveable engines and this one is no different. The car simply feels great to drive and the engine feels superb on city & on highways both. THe light kerb weight of car is the main reason behind this. The car is a real peppy machine. There is no turbo lag and picks up cleanly from 1000 - 12000 rpm and goes all upto 4000 rpm easily. After that power delivery is limited but that's where you are going to drive in the crazy city traffic and on the highways. 0 to 100 kmph comes in 15.88 secs that is great for a car. But. it's the driveability of engine that makes it so sound. The car cleanly picks up from as low as 20 kmph in 3 rd gear. For traffic like Delhi the car is great.

Also, it never feels underpowered with passengers nor on the plains and nor on mountains, so you can easily move around the hills on weekend trips with your family and luggage. No worries at all.

5.) See if you are keen on buying a car immediately than go ahead as market is on a low of it's there are plenty of discounts plus bonuses that you will find, but if you are ready to wait then wait for navratra's and you will see a lot more bonuses & special packages coming in.

At last you have yourself written the strenghts of the car so i think now you are clear what you want to buy. Toyota's owns a great respect for vehicle quality and this car too have same traits in it's veins. The car needs very less maintenance and is great to own experience especially for a Dilliwaasi!! So, go ahead!!

@thecompro, i agree with most of the things that Tejen has mentioned.

I too live in NCR and have an Etios, though it's a petrol.

Have been using it for 2.5 yrs now, no issues.

First of all, Rapid/Vento sits say 1/2 a segment(C2) above Etios.

Between Rapid/Vento and Etios, if you want solid build then go for them.

Else from practicality and low maintenance perspective, it should be between Etios and Amaze.

From build quality, Amaze seems slightly better than Etios but i guess new Etios 2013 model is vastly improved. You will be the best person to judge them in person.

However, from space and total cost of ownership perspective, Etios is better.

Etios D should give you around 19-20kmpl in city easily. Amaze has a better mileage on paper but i can't comment of actual figures. Though have heard it's varying too much (some people are getting very good mileage and some poor).

As for the metal sheet thickness/safety concerns, just to give you an example, my Etios got hit by a tractor trailer in NCR (trailer suddenly took right turn) and hit my car on left hand side. I had immediately applied the brakes but the sound of the impact was so high that i first thought it might have not only destroyed left doors/fender but might have an impact on chassis too.

But thankfully there were no injuries and car had only dents/scratches on left doors/fenders with broken left ORVM.

Also, to me, GD(SP) variant of Etios is better VFM than VD(SP) as you get all the safety features of top variant sans some cosmetic things, which i guess should not be such a deterrent.

Dear Fellow Forum Members,

Thanks a ton for your kind reply and making my life easier for deciding positive in favor of Etios Diesel.

A querry still remains to be shared with respect to choice of color for my new Etios D.

Since i am buying this car for my sister who is elder to me and in teaching industry, i would like your suggestions between Grey and Silver color options.

Pls pls reply asap as i have to convey my choice of color to the dealer.

Though, Silver is old color; grey is new entrant.

Dear Fellow Forum Members,

Thanks a ton for your kind reply and making my life easier for deciding positive in favor of Etios Diesel.

A querry still remains to be shared with respect to choice of color for my new Etios D.

Since i am buying this car for my sister who is elder to me and in teaching industry, i would like your suggestions between Grey and Silver color options.

Pls pls reply asap as i have to convey my choice of color to the dealer.

Though, Silver is old color; grey is new entrant.

Mine pick would be grey! Definitely between these two.

Dear Forum Members / Experts,

As per discussions held in this forum and advice of forum members i am convinced that etios diesel is a good value for money car as of today.

i am planning to buy this car for my elder sister who is into school / teaching industry at respectable position.

Pls suggest me which color option should i make a choice between classic grey , symphony silver, celestial black, white, vermillon red and harmony beige.

My view points towards two colors in demand i.e classic grey and symphony silver is like this:

a. Grey is new color entrant in this car. The chrome goes in good contrast with this color. The interior goes in good contrast to this color. The bumper corner protector rubber accessory is black in color so fits good.

b. As of my study on internet, silver is maximum selling color in the world. In the night, silver is easily seen vis a vis dark colors like grey. But chrome gets mixed with silver and does not go contrast with it.

Thus, in light of above facts and your suggestions, pls advice me which color should i opt for this car. Your earliest replies would be appreciated.

@thecompro

From the choices you have mentioned Vento diesel HL stands apart. Better quality both incase of engineering and interiors and has a classy and royal touch to it.

I have owned a Live D and driven few Etios also, engine is great but some how interiors are dull and boring. People say they can live with that but you do sit inside the car and drive from inside. It would mean cursing toyota everyday you start your car for 'how they could have done a better job with it'.

Vento on the other hand is neatly put together, has a strong engine and is frugal.

You haven't considered Nissan Sunny and its renault twin. Both are great cars.

Spending 10.5, you can also get your self an eco-sport or All new fiesta depending upon discount offered.

I have booked an Etios VSP last week but if I had 10.5 lacs, I would've closed my eyes and went for Radio (ambition plus or higher variant that gives good features). My friend has this car and it is a monster that pulls effortlessly and is very very comfortable. The red color stands apart and has serious road presence. we did two long drives and I would say its worth paying extra 1-2 lakhs on this mean machine.

Amaze: you dont have to think about this pile of ugliness (look wise) as you have good budget.

also, if you have decided on Etios, my feeling about color:

1. Red: little bit of dust makes this car look old and the color ages very fast

2. white/skyblue : loads and loads of taxis with these colors

3. Beige: some like this color, I didnt

4. Grey: my choice (picked this one while booking). nicely matches the interior, gives little bit of executive feel to the car and the color does not age fast and looks best under lights.

Any of the two Scala or Sunny should fit the bill.Personally ,More inclined towards the Scala .

In this day and age anybody having 10L will surely look at the current breed of 5 seater mini SUVs.How come you left them out of the equation ?

@desiibond: I think from a female driving point of view you have made a right choice, as the ETIOS is easy to drive, less turbo lag. So congratulations.

The only thing which ETIOS lacks is the interior design and quality. To me this is person to person, and if you are fine with it then you are definitely going to love your decision.