Hersch

Maruti Alto K10 Scores a Dismal Zero in NCAP Ratings

Alto, the once highest selling car in the Indian market, has scored a horrible 0 out of 5 in a recent LATAM NCAP ratings. The car was rendered totally unsafe in the event of a collision with a very unstable chassis and the A-Pillar, front door, B-Pillar, roof and floor pan buckling under the crash forces. It is high time that our government also establishes such testing procedures and minimum safety benchmarks as we have one of the highest motor accident fatality rate in the world.

It did not need any kind of science to say this car was unsafe.

When were these tests performed ?

if it was BEFORE they came up with the idea of an airbag installation ,may be this prompted the makers to introduce Airbags as a face saver.

If this was done AFTER they have installed the airbags , such cars should be automatically taken off production by a whip of law.

This is a very concerning news. As Alto is the first choice of many first time car buyers in India. Still I am quite sure these ratings would not have any significant or any effect for that matter on the sale of Alto in India, because there is lack of awareness amongst Indian buyers (particularly in that segment) about safety aspect of the Car.

While airbags and ABS can be enablers to the safety, it would be of little use if the basic structure of the Car itself is not strong enough. I have nothing against Alto, but never really liked the car and especially the current K10 and 800. Infact had convinced couple of my friends to stretch their budgets and look for WagonR instead of Alto, which is slightly better in terms of built quality if not very good. One or two incidents of Alto involved in accident within my closed group had really shattered my confidence about the vehicle., In one of the cases there was infact a side impact and the resultant condition of the car was horrible to see, not to mention the person sitting inside

Again these are purely my personal views based on my experience with the car

We the people and should not buy the product ; Partially government and partially we are responsible as well for such practice, I dont think Suzuki have the same business ethics or practice in Japan or Europe where safety is utmost priority. Cheap product on the cost of safety can be hot cake or most popular car, It happens in India or like country. Technically all the car company having same practice, none of the car company having any room to think about safety of the customer. Now days Micra XV safety is the cheap and safe car in the market however third grade sale and service support.

if you look at the crash test, the crumple zone failed to absorb the crash. That would leave blood stains on the airbag, shocking but true.

@monoclonal, owned a Micra in its premature years, service and car was absolutely great. If i do buy another small car, it would be a micra CVT.

Edited by sarabjeet

I feel i20 with its 5 stars is one of the safest hatches around. Can't say the same about any of the Maruti offerings which are built to a price at the cost of safety.

The safety aspect in tiny Maruti Suzukis' always remained questionable, since M800, Old Zen & now Alto k10. Now i ruled out previous 800cc Alto(std, LX, LXI) here not because i own it but due to the reason that it's quite deficiently powered by puny 796cc, 47PS F8D engine. It also gave it less acceleration, hence less Inertia of motion or momentum for a forceful impact, overall contributing to its safety(might be !). Since 68PS, K10M engine added 21 more horses under its hood also made it more unsafe with same chassis & brakes setup.

Result being, that this

crash test is having somewhat better results than that of Alto k10.

Govt. also needs to be more strict towards safety norms as they're for excise & pollution norms now.

What about Global car companies which are compromising Safety over the styling, interior space or else, while designing cars for india, in the name of so-called 'VALUE ENGINEERING'.

We might not need Airbags in each & every variant of the car but we need highly reinforced bodyshell for every car, sold in India to serve the Passive safety systems like Airbags as really Passive equipments.

Regarding star ratings, I seriously doubt Maruti Suzuki Swift that it have scored 5-stars at NCAP crash tests facility, considering what type of car we're getting in India. i20 though looks & feels like build to serve the safety purpose.

Another point to be noted here is that the cars given for NCAP ratings are fully loaded versions in terms of safety features. They would come with passive safety features including seat belt pre-tensioners, air bags, collapsible steering columns etc. If in spite of all these features, if a car fails to score anything less than three, then there is a serious concern with the structural engineering of the car itself. Such a vehicle should at best be avoided. It would be great if someone has a list of cars in India and their respective NCAP ratings. With ever growing traffic and a geometrically proportional increase in the number of bad drivers on our bad roads, it would be of great benefit to the new buyers and existing users alike to have such information available.

This was a known fact but people at large were unaware. Poor show by Suzuki/Maruti. A car like Nano fared well, while a much established Company like Maruti takes consumers for a ride.

Just how many cars on Indian roads, irrespective of manufacturer, actually clear the NCAP tests? I can assume it being as low as 25-30%, with so many cars with poor build quality, poor braking, poor dynamics, no ABS, not a single airbag. Not just Maruti, Tata and Mahindra, but even foreign companies operating in India are peddling unsafe lemons in showrooms. The top end models of some companies would get anywhere between 3.5 and 5 stars in these Tests, but we can't say that about the lower-end variants. Anywhere.

I feel safety should be a non-negotiable aspect in registering a car in India. With high fatality counts on Indian roads, we as a nation and growing automotive market cannot afford to go easy on this aspect. Departments of Transportation across the country have to enforce a rule where only cars with a minimum of four stars in NCAP, especially with pedestrian safety as a priority (where some cars have poor scores), can be fit to run on Indian roads. That may push car prices up a lot higher, but that's the only way to go.