Hersch

Swift VDi Pearl Metallic Arctic White

Hello Mates! I had been planning to buy a diesel hatch as a replacement for my Santro Xing which although, is 7yrs old now but has never troubled me ever. It was this trouble free nature of this lady that I decided to retain it and also go in for a diesel hatch anyways.

Easier said than done, I realized selecting the right car can be a real pain with so many options available in the market. I also did not want to spend anything over 7 lacs (on-road) for a hatch and wanted the best bang for buck. The car would only be used for our neighbourhood runs to carry errands.

After careful deliberation, I zeroed in on the Swift VDi. Have booked it through DD Motors, Delhi and the experience has been pretty good till now with no reasons to complain whatsoever. Pearl Metallic Arctic White was the color of choice for the simple reason that its really easy to maintain. The dealership has specified a delivery within 15 working days which came as a big surprise as I thought there would be a huge waiting period on the Swift Diesel. I have only paid the booking amount of 20k till now and would be paying the rest while taking delivery of the car. I also plan to add certain accessories with the most important one being the entertainment system. The total planned expenditure on the same is around 40k all inclusive. Have been thinking of getting either of the Sony XAV 701BT/ 601BT head units but anything better within the price range would be welcome. Plan to add a 4 channel and a mono sub sometime in future.

Would post in the pics of the Newbie soon… :)

@Hersch:

Congratulation on being the one hitting the market these days :) You have made right choice as Swift is still a more refined, unmatched product.

However, could you please share what is price quotation you have got for Swift Vdi on-road Delhi?

Also, are you sure about Vdi not coming with factory fitted entertainment system? As far as i am aware of - Vdi/Vxi variants come with factory fitted in-dash audio/cd/aux/USB unit with built in 4 speakers, hence replacing something factory fitted I would not advice so.

Hearty Thanks to All!

@Sstar: Many thanks buddy! The Swift VDi would cost me 6,71,000/- on road. This price includes 2 year extended warranty (Rs. 8320/- extra), Zero Depreciation Insurance premium (~4900 extra) besides the regular registration and insurance charges. One thing that I realized was that all dealers, whether of Maruti or otherwise, are charging ~6k handling/ logistics charges which I thought had been stopped by an order of the court. I really didn’t want to argue with the dealership guys so I didn’t haggle around knocking off the same from the invoice price. As for the music system, the ZDi comes with a factory fitted stereo while the LDi and VDi versions don’t. However, the dealer has offered to give me a 10% discount on any Maruti approved music system and zero fitting charges.

I had another query regarding getting the music system fitted from outside. The dealer said that if even a single wire is cut by an outsider while fitting the stereo, it will void both my original and extended warranty. I really do want to get a system of my choice so can I buy the equipment from outside by get it fitted by Maruti guys??? If not, what is the way around it??? Some help in this regard would be highly treasured.

Thanks for input, there is no need to worry much, I also got my Ldi retro fitted the stereo from Reliance Autozone, they are professional and they do not cut any wire. Also these days sockets are pre-installed to cater to such needs of a customer. So you do not need to worry.

Congrats on buying the new car.

And do share some of its pics.

I had another query regarding getting the music system fitted from outside. The dealer said that if even a single wire is cut by an outsider while fitting the stereo, it will void both my original and extended warranty. I really do want to get a system of my choice so can I buy the equipment from outside by get it fitted by Maruti guys??? If not, what is the way around it??? Some help in this regard would be highly treasured.

You can get the stereo fitted from anywhere & of anybrand but just take care of the cutting & splicing of wires, as companies are really serious on warranty issues.

Did two things today; one, did the pre-registration vehicle inspection for the planned delivery tomorrow. The odometer of the car stood at 47 kms, all electricals worked perfectly well including the aircon, the month & year of manufacture being Jul'13, with no signs of dents/ scratches; and second, ordered the head-unit for ICE through a leading online retailer.

Wanted a combination of good sound quality, features, and something which is a little future proof/ up-gradable. Went in for a Sony XAV 601-BT serving a deadly concoction of sleek elegant looks, sound quality, and power packed features. One of the most interesting features is the 'Mirrorlink' technology which basically mirrors a compatible smartphone on the head-unit screen. This basically mirrors/ projects/ lets you use the ICE's screen as your smartphone's screen thereby letting you use all features present in your smartphone like maps, navigation, music/ video player, browser etc. The system has also got rave reviews for its great sound quality and I also got to experience the same in one of my acquaintance's car. The shipping is confirmed for the 27th and should reach us max by coming weekend. Pics of the same to follow soon.

I do need some advice upon the front speakers and the install though. What benefits does a front door component + rear door 2/3 way coaxial speaker setup have over the all 2/3 way coaxial system? I have still not bought the speakers and hence would welcome your suggestions with the budget of around 8k all inclusive for a set of 4 speakers. Also need help with an expert installer in South or West Delhi to install all this equipment without cutting any wires and stuff.

Cheers!

Mission accomplished! Our White Lightning comes home, a Pearl Metallic Arctic White Swift VDi. As mentioned above, have also got the music system installed, a Sony XAV 601BT with fabulous front components and rear coaxials. Got the install done by the Sony distributor itself. In short, got all stuff completed yesterday itself and am waiting for the coming weekend when I would take some picks of the car and post it for all mates here. Cheers!!!

Apologies for not being able to post the pics till now as I had been travelling due to work. Spent this weekend finding out the camera and would be posting the pics for sure this weekend. Also drove the car a bit and noticed that the while the brakes do have sufficient bite at speeds below 60 kmph, they start fading at higher speeds. Maruti could have done with better brakes if they were to scrap the option of an ABS in VDi variant. Also got a call from the service center reminding us of the first service, with the car barely being run for a hundred kms. More info along with pics to follows this weekend where I would try and cover my experience in detail.

The car has just clocked 2500kms and I just noticed the mileage on the MID today which read 21.1km/l. The last time I saw such a mileage of around 29km/l with Aircon running was from my Honda City 1.5Exi on Delhi-Jaipur NH8. The difference is that Swift has managed such a mileage in in-city driving (sans aircon though) and that too running on oil (diesel) rather than spirit (petrol). Big reason to smile!