maverick786us1

Honda Civic. Why was it discontinued?

Like BonFre said, sagging sales and not great FE. No diesel engine and plus price was a bit too much later. However its a great chance for an enthusiast to buy a used one because they are going at throw away prices and many are less run examples.

Honda Civic was and is a good car, but the reason for discontinuing it was due to a number of factors

Lack of Diesel engine

6years+ varient cycle (people want something different than something which was available 6 years before)

New Civic is poor ratings in EU and American markets

Cannibalizing by Honda City (90% civic at 75% price)

New competition with modern diesels options

Well the Altis even in its petrol varient outsold Civic.

Driving comfort also had an hand here.

Resale value of civic's have also taken a hit. a 2008 civic V AT would fetch 4.45 where as an Altis VL AT would fetch 5.6 in used car market.

I feel both Toyota and Honda are overpriced in India. These are supposed to be value-for-money, cost-effective brands. Instead, we find them paraded as premium, high-class brands, which they are not. Already one casualty is recorded, the Civic- and maybe the Accord will follow suit, and everyone wants the Completely Redundant Vehicle (mileage of an SUV, off-road capability of a sedan) off the lineup. These cars are simply not worth the nine-lakhs-and-over prices they seem to command in India for down-specced vehicles. We can understand why a VW or Renault may be so costly, but these shouldn't be.

I feel there were a lot of reasons for Honda to pull the plug on such an otherwise wonderful car. First and foremost were the looks which had began to start looking stale now. The way a car looks is a major factor driving customers into Indian showrooms. Add to it the poor mileage and the low ground clearance. To top it all was the pricing which put the final nail in the coffin. The quality, fit and finish of the car was top notch though and so was the performance.

i still own a civic which is in its 8th year now still performs well not in any mood of selling it because its such a complete machine. Was sad and shocked when knew about Honda pulling the plug on the civic and ending the era of a worldwide cult car in india

For one, there is a new version of the Civic out in the US market. It was at the end of its life-cycle anyway. Also, as other readers have pointed out that it had no diesel engine and there were also no plans to have one in the near future because the US model will never offer a diesel. The other problem for Honda is that the EU market Civic is a hatchback which is not the right body shape for India.

the honda civic was the best product from the honda.but because of lack of spair part availability and cost of spair part also higher of this car and first of all it is the petrol engine and petrol cost is also going upward and todays market is mini suv market . customer is getting mini suv under 12 lacs and the features are also getting more than civic , mini suv's are getting at a lower cost with good fuel effeciency with more features.

Civic pros:

1.styling both exterior and especially interior.

2.great performance

Civic cons:

1.low fuel efficiency

2.only petrol option available.

Also I think people entering honda show rooms for buying civic will end up with city as it is vfm ,stylish ,spacious and good performance car with low price tag when compared to civic.

If honda wants to make success with civic again in india then it has to

1.give exterior facelift

2.some additional features like projector head lamp,day time running LEDs,keyless entry like what hyundai does

3.through out 1.8 litre and 2.0 litre motor and insert 1.5 litre i-vtec and i-dtec engines

4.consider changing service intervals.

I feel there were a lot of reasons for Honda to pull the plug on such an otherwise wonderful car. First and foremost were the looks which had began to start looking stale now. The way a car looks is a major factor driving customers into Indian showrooms. Add to it the poor mileage and the low ground clearance. To top it all was the pricing which put the final nail in the coffin. The quality, fit and finish of the car was top notch though and so was the performance.

Actually the GC of the Civic is one of the best in the segment (better than Corolla) but the wheelbase of the car was really very big and soft rear suspension which accentuated bottoming out.

Cruze killed the Civic with excellent engine, price and power and with increasing petrol price Cruze and Laura were the cars in the segment which were selling well

you guys have simply shared the pros. and cons. of this car, but the real reason is the segment to which this car belongs,because sales of this segment is month by month decreasing at very faster rate,be it a cruze,laura,altis,elantra,civic,jetta or any other similar car which are struggling for sales at current scenario,the fact behind this is these cars are simply unpractical in terms of value for money when compared to the cars of other segment like vento,verna,duster,innova,etc because of features and other major factors.just see how soon now the elantra and cruze will going to be vanish from the indian market.

@varun

Buy a Second hand Skoda Laura or maybe cruze, its still holds its value, reason demand for these cars in second hand car market.

Civic was flooded in second hand car market, and no one was buying a new civic. There was hardly any demand, this lead for a 16 lakhs car to go for sale for 6-7 lakhs (2 years old). Simple economic rule of demand and supply. Mainly caused by Pro's and Cons stated above by fellow members

in addition to all the points mentioned above i would like to add a few

world over the new civic is being launched - which means

1. updating the existing civic will have to be done specific to Indian Market - not worth it

2. To bring the new car - new toolings, establishing new components to increase localisation but this was also not possible coz

Honda India had their hands full with the newly launch Amaze and will have their hands full till they clear all the bookings

Civic is dead and gone. Lets not create pointless threads like this.

It's like creating a thread which asks "how come the corolla is still around" or "how come hyundai launched the new elantra when it was written off in 2008"

I only hope Honda doesn't bring in older platforms like the etios etc just to have a presence in India (forget about market share).

That would seriously hurt the brand image of Honda.

Honda currently has limited production capacity, 120000 cars per year. With Amaze they are finding it difficult to match up demand. The sale of Civic and the entire segment had gone down to half. It make only sense for Honda to discontinue this model and concentrate on City, Brio and Amaze.

Honda has made it quite clear that even the next gen Civic is not coming to India.

But then City too doesn't have a diesel variant. The kind of comfort, ride quality and handling, people have enjoyed in Honda Civic, Cruze was not even closer to it. How much was the fuel economy of Honda Civic? Is Altis any better than Civic in that context?

The main reason what I feel was, When Civic was launched (I don't remember the year). It was looking properly futuristic, both inside and outside. It still looks good today. Honda was not able to create/recreate such a design in the next generation Civic. This is also a reason for the next generation Civic not getting good reviews in other markets. After that other reasons like lack of diesel engine, price increase led to the sad demise of legendary car in India.

I think Honda is going after volume game in India and have just forgot that their distinguishing factor lies somewhere else.

Indian market is changing and people are willing to pay premium provided they also get premium product.

They should introduce Civic in India and even though D1 sedan segment is a very low volume game but I think Civic can easily become segment leader in it.