maverick786us1

Honda Civic. Why was it discontinued?

2 hours ago, Joe_M said:

It is hard to say at this point if the Civic will be a success or not, Honda hasn't launched the car yet and all prices are currently just estimates. One thing to keep in mind is that if a brand has made a name for itself in a segment it is likely to perform better. The Civic made a name for itself when we had the old model and that will likely a big factor in its sales. Same is true with the City, we've had the car for multiple generations so it's got a name that people recognise while the Yaris is just the proverbial "new kid on the block".

I agree with that, but looking into the history...

1) First generation Honda Jazz which was launched in year 2009 was a failure in indian market because of cost, while other Honda cars were a success that time. 
2) Previous generation Civic was discontinued because of cost and bad fuel economy

23 minutes ago, maverick786us1 said:

I agree with that, but looking into the history...

1) First generation Honda Jazz which was launched in year 2009 was a failure in indian market because of cost, while other Honda cars were a success that time. 
2) Previous generation Civic was discontinued because of cost and bad fuel economy

I just wanted to add that, Honda discontinued the Civic for multiple reasons, not only because it had poor fuel economy and was priced high (which according to what I remember, was priced very similar to its competitors). That generation of the Civic had already been replaced in the international market, long before Honda discontinued it in India. Also, the lack of a diesel powertrain option affected the model's popularity at the time. 

I do however believe that the pricing of the new Civic will determine just how well it will do this time around.

On 26/02/2019 at 3:48 PM, maverick786us1 said:

The current generation City is a success, because it costs less than all its competitors in that segment except Ciaz, and the basic 1.4L version of Verna

In all honesty, the City is currently the most expensive car in the segment. Even the Vento with the TSI engine and DSG gearbox in the top trim costs less than the top end City. And the Verna is cheaper across the board when compared to the City as well.

20 hours ago, Joe_M said:

In all honesty, the City is currently the most expensive car in the segment. Even the Vento with the TSI engine and DSG gearbox in the top trim costs less than the top end City. And the Verna is cheaper across the board when compared to the City as well.

You are talking about the top end diesel? i am not sure how much Honda's diesel engines are good, Honda is still new in diesel tech.

Yaris is more expensive than top end Honda City Gasoline

42 minutes ago, maverick786us1 said:

You are talking about the top end diesel? i am not sure how much Honda's diesel engines are good, Honda is still new in diesel tech.

Yaris is more expensive than top end Honda City Gasoline

Yes I admit, I missed out the Yaris but I'm talking in prices generally, City prices are really up there in both petrol and diesel and you do get a Verna with the 1.6 petrol a good few lakhs under the equivalent City petrol if you go spec for spec. Run through one of the many sites with car buying guides and see. The city is very much one of the most expensive in the segment.

20 hours ago, Joe_M said:

Yes I admit, I missed out the Yaris but I'm talking in prices generally, City prices are really up there in both petrol and diesel and you do get a Verna with the 1.6 petrol a good few lakhs under the equivalent City petrol if you go spec for spec. Run through one of the many sites with car buying guides and see. The city is very much one of the most expensive in the segment.

Honda trademark. The best thing about Honda and Toyota is low maintenance cost and service, so it compensates the initial cost

I've seen Hyundai's maintenance cost is high, Santro, once its first 4 free servicing is over, every servicing costs minimum 5K. I can only imagine, how much it must be for Verna? Maybe twice compared to Santro?